This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Cub Engine Rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall Cub Engine Rebuild

Postby Jason (IL) » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:58 am

I am confused here, is it locking up or shutting down? Locking up tells me an instant stop with no winding down. If it is what I think it may sound like something in the electrical system like a bad wiring connection shorting out, bad coil, condencer. I have replaced a lot of coils and that has solved my problems in instances like what your describing.

Take it a step at a time and maybe back track and rethink what you did, I'm sure you'll figure it out in no time.

My thoughts,

Good luck

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:33 pm

jim turner wrote:Rick in his first post he said he disconnected the pump

He said
we disconected the pump and put a plate on it

If that means took off the manifold, left the pump installed and put a plate over the openings on the pump, it could be deadheading and on the verge of destroying the pump or valve train.

edit: fixed typo

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Jim you are absolutely right, I assumed he meant he removed the pump and put a plste whee the pump was mounted on the engine. He needs to be more clear if anyone is too help.
Jim Turner

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Is your fan pulley free?

zekie1997
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29349

Postby zekie1997 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:49 pm

Hydraulic pump is off, bypass plate installed. Start engine runs great on idel. Go to about half throttle and engine runs good for a few minutes then it sounds as if it is bogging down or if it were in a hard pull. The engine suddenly stops you can here the fan belt squeel as the fan turns just a bit. When this happens I can reach down turn the engine by hand or pull the starter and it starts. I wished I could expain more. It has new points plugs condenser coil. Thanks for the help. Mark C

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Belt squealing, fan locking up or generator locking up. Remove the belts and see what it does, and oil the fan, there is a screw in the fan you take out and squirt oil in it turn the fan a few times then put the hole down to bottom and let the excess oil run out , replace the screw.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:57 pm

zekie1997 wrote:Hydraulic pump is off, bypass plate installed. Start engine runs great on idel. Go to about half throttle and engine runs good for a few minutes then it sounds as if it is bogging down or if it were in a hard pull. The engine suddenly stops you can here the fan belt squeel as the fan turns just a bit. When this happens I can reach down turn the engine by hand or pull the starter and it starts. I wished I could expain more. It has new points plugs condenser coil. Thanks for the help. Mark C

Marc:

If you have a digital camera take a movie of what is happening. Once the guys can hear what is happening they should be able to figure out what the problem is. You have some great diagnostic guys trying to help .. so give em a audio/visual help if you can.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:58 pm

My money is on Boss Hog's analysis. The symptoms are classic for a dry fan hub bearing. My guess is once you replenish the oil in the hub, the problem will be solved. When the bearing is cold, it will turn even without oil, but after a few revolutions heat builds up and the bearing seizes on the shaft. Check the manual to make sure you understand how to oil the hub properly.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:40 pm

challenger wrote:My money is on Boss Hog's analysis. The symptoms are classic for a dry fan hub bearing. My guess is once you replenish the oil in the hub, the problem will be solved. When the bearing is cold, it will turn even without oil, but after a few revolutions heat builds up and the bearing seizes on the shaft. Check the manual to make sure you understand how to oil the hub properly.

Manuals are at the top of this page.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

zekie1997
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29349

Postby zekie1997 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:58 pm

Sorry about all the confusion here. I stated it this after noon and it ran on idel for 2 hours sound great no skip no sputter purs like a kitten. When I give it throttle it sounds like the engine starts laboring and and I noticed a clatter when it was getting ready to stall. I am going to check valves again and then move to the governor and distibute. It has new fan not any problems with that. I just hope I dont have to take the engine back down. Thanks Mark c. I will try to get digital camara if I cant get her going.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:14 pm

zekie1997 wrote: It has new fan not any problems with that.

Do you mean just fan blade or does it also have a new fan hub assembly? If you are still using the old fan hub assembly and there is no oil in it you can have the problem Boss Hog said.

zekie1997 wrote: you can here the fan belt squeel as the fan turns just a bit.

If the engine stops first it is unlikely the blade would free spin enough to cause the squeel. If the fan hub starts to lock up the belts will squeel for a second befor the engine stops. Go back and double check that hub before taking the engine down.

A lot of Cubs with supposedly locked up engines have been found and the hub turned out to be the problem and not the engine.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:03 pm

And that's why I asked about the fan pulley being free, as I was one that started on an engine teardown when it was a locked up fan pulley that was killing the engine....but I stopped at the main bearing inspection....

I would do as others suggest - unhook everything, including the fan and genny and see what you get.

Oil pressure 'normal'? - pegged on the gage is normal, but you can't tell if you're getting 150psi or 50 psi. 200psi gages are $5 at Tractor Supply while 100 psi gages are double that....
Oil relief valve working right?

Too much or not enough lube will cause similar problems. Any funky cross drilled lube holes that got plugged by accident during the rebuild? or left out?

Return to “Farmall Cub”