This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Red lights for Xmas on a 6v Cub?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Red lights for Xmas on a 6v Cub?

Postby DickB » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:43 am

So let's just say that I'd like to see my little Cub decked out in a string or two of Xmas lights. What are the options for brightly glowing lights with the 6v. system? Santa has his reindeer, but there's a Cub that wants to join in the fun.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Red lights for Xmas on a 6v Cub?

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:06 am

Answer depends on voltage of light strings and if the tractor is moving or stationary.

120 volt string; generator set, 12 volt battery and inverter, extension cords.

12 volt string; battery setting on platform, older battery charger and long extension cord.
I have an excuse. CRS.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:23 am

NOPE. Not those ways, Eugene! Santa wants to plow snow with the red lights glowing on the moving tractor. No extra battery--that's cheating. Got a way to do red little light with 6v. setup? Surely this has been resolved by the many Santas out there? :tractor:

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:46 am

Heck, even battery chargers are hard to find 6v anymore. I would think if you could find 12v led lights they would work with 6v?? Low power consumption too. Turns out my Coleman twin tube florescent light uses a 6v battery, same thing used in emergency lighting.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:56 am

I have seen battery powered light sets in the store. I don't know what the voltage is on the batteries that power it, but I'm thinking at least 9 or 12. However, it may be an option to wire them through the tail light lead and grounded to the frame to get some light going on there. I have no idea the voltage or wattage of the strings, but it may be worth a try...

Edit to add...

Just did a search on the web, and battery powered lights are available from Home Depot, Lowes and your favorite suppliers. Most take 2 C batteries in the power pack, so that is 3V. Thus, I think you could make something work... Alternatively, just use the battery power to run the lights and use rechargable batteries and recharge after plowing...

What do you think?

Mike in PA
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

bear32055
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62258
Tractors Owned: 3-1955 FCubs serial numbers 191155,191156 and 191158
1958 fcub

Postby bear32055 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:18 am

there is a company i bought 6 volt red socket bulbs from called superbriteled they were pretty cheap and very bright it is a direct replacement for a 1156 bulb i never use my cubs for anything but puttin around so it went in my rear work light if u have sealed beam another company u may want to try is called bulb town i bought a red sealed beam for my only 12volt cub and was very happy with it hope that helps

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:02 am

Years ago I did some experimentation adapting 110 v miniature multi-color light strings for automotive use.

I learned the number of bulbs from the factory were wired in series on the string to glow at an acceptable brightness calculated on the draw of each individual bulb.

As I eliminated bulbs and sockets from the string, the bulbs increased in intensity to the point of extremely bright with a short filiment life when hooked to 110v. A few bulbs connected to 110v would flash like an old fashioned one time use camera flash bulb.

I wound up succeeding in my quest for 12v lighting by cutting down the 110v strings into shorter lengths. For 6v, they would be half the length of the 12v strings but you would accomplish your goal of self sufficient lighting Cub powered.

I don't remember the number of bulbs on the 12v runs but I remember they weren't incredibly long. The short strings were connected end to end on a messenger wire with a power feed wire supplying each short section.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:05 am

I do not know about where you live, but in many states red lights are illegal except on emergency vehicles. However, if you can find one of the magnet mount revolving lights such as this one (search amazon.com for warning lights)

You can replace the original bulb with a 1133 headlight bulb, and it will work other than just revolving slower. I do this on my H when I drive it to town for parades, except I use an amber one.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

summerfi
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 59808
Tractors Owned: 1955 IH Cub Lo-Boy w/L-22 sickle mower.
My other toys: Hinomoto N209 tractor/backhoe, 1940 and 1941 Chevy pickups, Norwood LM2000 sawmill, PJ 16' trailer.

Postby summerfi » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:16 am

Here's a pretty good guide for doing what you want to do. http://michaelbluejay.com/batteries/dc-christmas-lights.html

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:17 am

I'd like to see my little Cub decked out in a string or two of Xmas lights.
12 volt led light string(s). Borrow the garden tractor's 12 volt battery. Set/fasten battery to the right of the Cub's tool box.

Cub's 6 volt electrical system is hard pressed to keep up with the factory installed lightening.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”