This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

plowing in 1st gear is much better

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

plowing in 1st gear is much better

Postby ad356 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:25 am

i didnt think 1st gear is fast enough to effectively plow, but you guys are right it's much safer and easier on the tractor. they push quite well using 1st gear. i had a pup of a time starting my tractor, it just didnt want to go. it would fire and die this cycle continued repeatedly until it finally stay running, once it was running it ran great. i dont really like this because it think it beats up on the flywheel. i wish i could make it start easier

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: plowing in 1st gear is much better

Postby Former Member » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:37 am

I would bet that with the heat of the engine, cold wet temperatures etc.. you are getting condensation in your carburetor and manifold. It is taking several tries to get them warm enough to dry out. Next time you shut it down, turn off the fuel and let the tractor die, then turn off the ignition.

Also, Stabil or seafoam in the fuel in the winter is a definite plus.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:23 am

I pretty much agree with Dale's assessment. I had this issue with Ellie yesterday as I plowed the driveway cleaning up after the Massey did most of the grunt work on a very wet 38 cm's of new fallen snow -- (that is 15" for all the non-metric folks :wink: ). Ellie sounded like she was running on 3 cylinders and was missing a lot. After about 40 minutes she finally fully smoothed out and ran normally. Way too much moisture/condensation as temps were above 0C or 32F - light rain causing the difficulty both with the snow and with the Cub.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:18 am

If you haven't already done so, a tune up will likely help your starting issue.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Johnny Lindqvist
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01568
Tractors Owned: 58 Loboy
49 Super A

Postby Johnny Lindqvist » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:58 am

That's funny, I noticed all the same things. I let mine warm up longer this morning than I did last night but it took three or four tries to start it. I will try shutting off the fuel and letting her die next time that sounds like a good idea. I always keep my battery on a maintenance charge otherwise I doubt it would start (my battery is weak). I think the moisture explains the chugging I had once in a while last night when releasing the clutch to fast. It sounded like it was missing a couple cylinders as well but only during those circumstances. I was curious about 1st or 2nd gear though but wasn't going to ask. I did my entire driveway and first but at the very end tried second while cleaning up and it was much fast but I suppose I will refrain from doing that if you guys think the wear and tear is to much in 2nd.
Johnny Lindquist
1958 Fast Hitch Lo Boy with Woods 59CL-3 Mower Deck, L38 Disc Harrow, F194 Plow and L54 Blade

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:20 am

Johnny Lindqvist wrote:......... I was curious about 1st or 2nd gear though but wasn't going to ask. I did my entire driveway and first but at the very end tried second while cleaning up and it was much fast but I suppose I will refrain from doing that if you guys think the wear and tear is to much in 2nd.
I plow in all three (not at the same time :lol: ). It really depends on the conditions. How deep is the snow? How wet its the snow? How rough is the ground (paved or gravel)? How well does your Cub run? How afraid are you of breaking something? So any of the three gears is appropriate depending on circumstances. As far as worrying about breaking something, I don't go out trying to but they're machines and things break. As far as wear and tear, they're machines and things wear out and have to be replaced/fixed on occasion. I don't worry/obsess about something for ten years to coax another couple months out of it before it needs attention. Just don't let me catch you with your foot glued to one of my clutch pedals though. :x

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:36 am

Johnny:

Johnny Lindqvist wrote:I was curious about 1st or 2nd gear though but wasn't going to ask. I did my entire driveway and first but at the very end tried second while cleaning up and it was much fast but I suppose I will refrain from doing that if you guys think the wear and tear is to much in 2nd.

The wear and tear on your Cub should be minimal as long as you stay within it's operating envelope. I stand behind what I posted in this thread - Re: is this abusing the tractor?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Johnny Lindqvist
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01568
Tractors Owned: 58 Loboy
49 Super A

Postby Johnny Lindqvist » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:38 pm

Cool, Yeah my driveway is an old parking lot for the dairy workers so it's got plenty of ruts. I didn't push to much and when it did hang up the spring on the plow did it's job. Another question. What puts more stress on the the engine; running say 1st gear low rpm vs hi rpm under load and so on and whats the comparison 1st gear vs second in the same scenario?
Johnny Lindquist
1958 Fast Hitch Lo Boy with Woods 59CL-3 Mower Deck, L38 Disc Harrow, F194 Plow and L54 Blade

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:24 pm

Rev it up and let it go- the governor will do the rest. If you are spinning too much, back off on the throttle, let the governor do it's job. The only time you are pushing too hard, is if you kill the engine. Just restart and go again

Don't worry bout it, your cub likes to work hard, and the harder you work it, the better it likes it. Just don't get a running start in 3rd gear and hit a frozen snow bank. Use some common sence and you will have no problems.

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:01 am

Dale Shaw wrote:Rev it up and let it go- the governor will do the rest. If you are spinning too much, back off on the throttle, let the governor do it's job. The only time you are pushing too hard, is if you kill the engine. Just restart and go again

Don't worry bout it, your cub likes to work hard, and the harder you work it, the better it likes it. Just don't get a running start in 3rd gear and hit a frozen snow bank. Use some common sence and you will have no problems.

I agree with Dale. I am amazed at the amount of work a Cub can do-and how hard you can work them.
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:36 pm

Can't hurt to pop the distributor cap and make sure it's dry too. I agree a tune-up could be worthwhile. A Cub should start on the first or second try.... if not, something is wrong.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

nwhitman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01267
Tractors Owned: '56 Cub w/fast hitch, '65 Cub,
C3 mower, Cub 54 blade, Cub Wagon
'52 Ford 8N w/brush hog
Caledonia Yawl

Postby nwhitman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:34 am

I'm plowing 3/4 mile gravel drive some with a pretty steep hill. Blade is cocked all the way to the right with the right side running one adjustment hole lower than the left. I use all three gears. 1st is the only way to get up the hill, especially for 1st run. 2nd is best for general work but once the ground is frozen and smooth underneath 3rd is the only way to make the snow fly. 1st and 2nd just pile it up nice and tall, which in my situation makes a hollow into which blowing snow collects. It's like a snow fence - right in the wrong place.

Nick

Return to “Farmall Cub”