This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I need a little help with my new cub.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: I need a little help with my new cub.

Postby Former Member » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:52 am

Josh, get the correct tools ready. Some paper towels, some PB Blaster, can of carb cleaner, copper wire, your phone with camera etc..

Also, print out the "how to" and have it handy. Sit down in a comfy place and take your time. Ask Mom to sit with you and just do it. It is time you start "learning" how, and build confidence, since you now have 2 cubs. You are also driving now, so I know this is something you CAN do.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Josh:

Like Dale said, get your tools in order, some paper towels/clean rags etc., a piece of cardboard. Print off the diagram so you become familiar with the parts and where they go. A small piece of telephone wire, carb cleaner (use it outdoors and not in the kitchen), and go slowly. You can do this. Same way all of us learned, one step at a time. Have a look at Lurker Carl's Cub Carb Fixes, it should be pretty useful and will give you some pointers. Take pics of everything you do, build up your own photo library of your repair jobs, they will come in handy as will the practice of taking pics for all you do.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Josh Blair
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38474
Tractors Owned: 1950 F-cub
1951 F-cub
1967 Massey Ferguson 150

Postby Josh Blair » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:45 pm

Well folks, my mom said that it was ok for me to put Loretta's carb on it and still no love. I am not sure what else to look at as I have checked the spark and I have compression. I have pulled the hood of course. would pics be of any help?
Josh Blair in Mt.Pleasant TN
Image Image

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:25 pm

Get your Dad to come over. Make sure you prime the oil pump manually and that oil is pumping. Put 1 tablespoon of motor oil in each plug hole and put the plugs back in.

Take the carb that came with the new cub and put it on Lorretta. Make sure she will still run, with the new carb.

Put a rope over the steering housing, between the steering shaft and the hood, and fasten it to the bolster that the front cultivators slide through. Hook the other end to Lorretta's drawbar.

YOU drive Loretta, let your Dad drive the new cub. Put loretta in 2nd gear, 1/2 throttle to start, and have your Dad on the new cub and in 3rd gear-ignition and fuel on. Try pull starting it on FLAT land, NOT your hill. (Make sure the brakes work on both tractors.

Sometimes these old Cubs just need a little coaxing to get them going.

EDIT: I know Josh and his Dad well. I worded this response, with that in consideration. I have also talked to Josh and given him other pointers, as well as other things to help pinpoint the problem.
Last edited by Former Member on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76502

Postby Jdbfish » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:31 pm

I agree with the pull starting. I've also jump started them with a 12volt car battery, with the engine NOT running, to get them to spin over a little faster than the 6 volt turns them.

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027

Postby Chris D » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:58 pm

I would do like jdbfish said, hook a 12 volt car battery to it. Just temporary to get it spinning faster. If you have spark and the carb is known to be good it should run, just may need that extra kick to get her goin. Keep us posted.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:34 pm

I just talked to josh, and asked him if he had primed the oil pump. He had not, and it is not pumping, so he is in the process now.

Good thing it did not start the first time. :big afro:

Josh Blair
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 F-cub
1967 Massey Ferguson 150

Postby Josh Blair » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:43 pm

Chris D wrote:I would do like jdbfish said, hook a 12 volt car battery to it. Just temporary to get it spinning faster. If you have spark and the carb is known to be good it should run, just may need that extra kick to get her goin. Keep us posted.

Would that hurt the generator?
Image Image

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027

Postby Chris D » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:47 pm

I'm no expert on the generator setups, so I can't answer that one. However since you have the hood off I would think if you unhooked the two wires on the generator and taped the ends of em for safety no harm could be done. Hopefully someone who know the generators will come along quickly. I would also just use the 12 volt battery while cranking. Once it's running you can just go off the 6 volt battery already hooked up.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:36 pm

Make sure that the set is tight against gasket #8. Also chec that the gasket is not damaged. These are less likely to be your trouble than the thins others have mentioned but they do happen.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Josh, if you do jump it with 12v, MAKE SURE THE 6V BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED-IT COULD BLOW UP

Josh Blair
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 F-cub
1967 Massey Ferguson 150

Postby Josh Blair » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:23 am

Chris D wrote:I'm no expert on the generator setups, so I can't answer that one. However since you have the hood off I would think if you unhooked the two wires on the generator and taped the ends of em for safety no harm could be done. Hopefully someone who know the generators will come along quickly. I would also just use the 12 volt battery while cranking. Once it's running you can just go off the 6 volt battery already hooked up.

Would it hurt the coil more importantly?
Image Image

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:56 am

If the 12v battery stays connected with the ignition on you can burn up the coil. If you are just going to use it to fire it over and immediately remove the 12v you should be okay, but make sure the 6v battery is not hooked up and your lights are turned off as others have mentioned.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Josh Blair
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 F-cub
1967 Massey Ferguson 150

Postby Josh Blair » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:19 am

Barnyard wrote:

If the 12v battery stays connected with the ignition on you can burn up the coil. If you are just going to use it to fire it over and immediately remove the 12v you should be okay, but make sure the 6v battery is not hooked up and your lights are turned off as others have mentioned.

Ok that makes me feel better, As a general update he has started pumping oil like he should so now just have to hook up a 12v battery or roll start. I will do whatever is most convenient when I go back out there. It is too :censored: wet to try anything now. :evil: :evil:
Image Image

Josh Blair
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 F-cub
1967 Massey Ferguson 150

Postby Josh Blair » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:20 pm

Welp, my friend came over and I unhooked the generator and was very careful about it and slapped a 12 volt on there. He spun over and popped for a little while, but finally spurted to life! Now the next problem I seem to be having is it will only run in 10 second intervals, but it is running good and firing on all cylinders. This is puzzling me. Does it need to warm up before it will run longer? Is there something else I need to look for? I have Loretta's good carb on there for best chance of run time.
Image Image

Return to “Farmall Cub”