This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Flooding carb in cold weather

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Flooding carb in cold weather

Postby DickB » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:33 am

It did it again, once the temperature dropped long enough below freezing. Battery charged and oil pan heated for several hours. Out to start and first open gas line, then choke out, throttle forward. Turned over, no start. On and on, varying choke and throttle. Finally a cough, a weak start that wouldn't take. Gas dripping out the bottom of the carb, and when turning over the engine I even see fuel coming out at the gasket line. A regular soaked spot in the snow on the ground below the carb.

Had earlier assumed that intake manifolds just too cold to keep fuel atomized on its trip up to the spark plugs. Still think that. Assume flooded situation, so wait. Come back and maybe a cough or timid start and silence. Shovel beckons for a snow clean up.

Over the summer: a carb rebuild--new needles, float checked out, new gasket, etc.

In warmer weather she starts up without any hesitation. This is why I think a heater plug inserted in the water intake elbow will work.

Tractor sits in a cold barn, a bit protected.

Suggestions?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Re: Flooding carb in cold weather

Postby Bob Perry » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:46 am

I'm not the world's biggest carb expert, but that float has to be perfect, plus, if the tractor is not starting because of other thing (less-than-perfect timing, spark, plugs, compression etc etc) what happens is, in the cold, those little problems become bigger problems. Gas is being drawn up while you're trying to start it, then when you stop trying, it drains back into the carb and drips out. Just because gas drips out, the real problem might not be the carb.

I'm going thru the same thing with an H.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:04 am

Start with; compression tests, valve tappet adjustment, air cleaner, and ignition system. Carburetion issues, last.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:20 am

Make sure you have a good BLUE spark at the plugs, also check the air cleaner bowl and make sure it does not have water on top of the oil that was turned in to ice cutting off the air, you can just pull the air tube off the carb also to bypass it for a quick check to see if it runs
Tim

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:39 am

the gas running out after choking is normal. that is just the extra gas from choking that is running out. as to the non starting. you are getting gas. I assume your getting good hot spark. only other thing is compression. Low compression will cause hard starting in cold weather. usually will cause plugs to frost up. compression below 90lb in cold weather will create hard starting. the colder it is the harder it will start. I have 4 cubs with rebuilt engines that hold 135 LB compression or better. they start easy in cold weather. I have one I use all winter that starts very good at -10 deg.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

sgtbull
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62854
Tractors Owned: '36 JD B,
'40 and '46 Farmall H,
'50 Ford 8n '55 Farmall Cub,
'55 JD 70 allfuel,
lots of other toys

Postby sgtbull » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:29 pm

Plugs are easy to gas foul in the winter.. choking coupled w/ poor vaporization because of the cold can soak a plug in a heartbeat... you might just try a new set and see what happens.. not that expensive and not a bad preventative maintainence thing to do. Its a common problem with older tractors that don't get used like they used to. They were designed with long hours, heavy pulling and higher engine temperatures in mind. Most are worked far easier today than they ever did in their working life so the engines just don't get up to temperature like they should, thereby burning off residue on the plugs.
I've never met a tractor I didn't like....but I have found some that were greatly annoying....

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks, everyone. As it turned out, the weather yesterday warmed up to higher 20 degs. F, and the Cub started. Come summer, I'll check into all of the options suggested.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:29 am

Once it is above freezing, remove the plug in the bottom of the carb and drain it, also empty the sediment bowl. You may have some ice in it causing problems. A little Sea Foam or deicer in the fall doesn't hurt either.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Try leaving the choke in when you first crank, then if she doesn't start on the first turn or two, start pulling the choke rod as she cranks. I used to have some trouble starting in cold weather starting with the choke closed. Someone on the forum here suggested not choking her right away. I have had much better luck with the new method.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:27 am

Also instead of setting the choke and cranking away, give it quick "blips" of choke.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:57 am

HI Mike and Matt -- I think you guys are on to it. Yesterday at a balmy +30F, the following:

Pull 1: full choke, no start
2: just a bit of choke, no start
3: a bit more coke: wanted to start
4: ignition with a wee bit more of choke. Followed by some replowing side of road at mailbox where town plow had made life tough for the Mail Delivery folks, the walkway where drifts were building up.

Next time it is very cold will try 1: no choke, 2: crank while moving choke lever in/out which is what I think Matt refers to by "blipping."

Return to “Farmall Cub”