Development of the Differential Gear - straightforward video

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:45 am

I ran across this on youtube and had to share. I've never been entirely clear on how, exactly, a rear differential does its job. No longer!
A video from 1930s Chevrolet, showing the conceptual development of the differential.

Also, I had no idea that early cars were ONE wheel drive. Well, there wasn't a differential yet!

Re: Development of the Differential Gear - straightforward v

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:55 am

Thanks David, I knew the basis of how a differential worked, that that is a very good explanation of it.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:43 am

I wonder if they got a couple of log rollers to run on the tires at the end.

Bob

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:17 pm

nice

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:49 pm

DavidG wrote:Also, I had no idea that early cars were ONE wheel drive. Well, there wasn't a differential yet!

The differential dates back at least to the early days of steam propulsion. I doubt that many producton cars were one-wheel drive. I imagine there were experimental cars built that way.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:56 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Thanks David, I knew the basis of how a differential worked, that that is a very good explanation of it.
:Dito: :Dito: Thanks !! :D

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:40 am

I agree with John, although I've worked with them most of my life, I would have never thought to explain them with sticks. Got to love those old training videos! Thanks, David!

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 am

OK I get that now. Is there some thing like this to explain "Posi traction"?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:25 am

Bill, there are variations on the design, along with a lot of different names for them, but most are simply a slip clutch, on the axle shaft gears that create resistance for the differential to function as it does in the video.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:40 am

Here is one on the Eaton locking differential that GM uses. It is one of the more complicated designs. You may have to watch it more than once.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks Jim and Gary

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:23 am

Jim, thanks for posting that video. Yes, that is one of the more complex units out there. They work well and I've never had the need to repair one, so I found the video very informative. I guess I was over simplifying the question but I'm not much on giving long winded answers. There are also a couple of gear style limited slips out there but we would for sure need videos to explain those things.