This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Supporting Cub while removing front axle

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Supporting Cub while removing front axle

Postby Dan Stuckey » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:52 pm

Getting ready to fix the leak coming from my steering gear. It looks like it is coming from the gasket between the main and lower steering gear housing. I'm wondering about supporting the front of the Cub while the axle is being removed. Is the oil pan beefy enough if I were to stack square billets of wood beneath it and have the weight on the bottom of the pan . Of course I will have a large enough piece of wood to distribute the weight over the lower part of the pan.

Also and links pertaining to this job would be appreciated. Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Supporting Cub while removing front axle

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:04 pm

Oil pan should be sufficient, but I would move my supports back a bit to under to torque tube or use the implement mounting bolt holes on the torque tube.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:05 pm

As for the weight, yeah the pan will supprt it. A lot of us have splitting stands but If you don't do this a lot you can get by without them.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:27 pm

Dan Stuckey wrote:Getting ready to fix the leak coming from my steering gear. It looks like it is coming from the gasket between the main and lower steering gear housing. I'm wondering about supporting the front of the Cub while the axle is being removed. Is the oil pan beefy enough if I were to stack square billets of wood beneath it and have the weight on the bottom of the pan . Of course I will have a large enough piece of wood to distribute the weight over the lower part of the pan.

Also and links pertaining to this job would be appreciated. Thanks

Use 6X6s as long as the pan is wide, make sure you get them back far enough to drive the pin out the back.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:28 pm

I'd support it under the bell housing, much stronger.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:38 pm

It may be a little unstable back that far if there are no rear weight on the tractor. Even with a splitting stand the right rear will want to get off the ground. I have never had any damage using the pan with good flat wood
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:26 am

I have never used the oil pan, but have supported them by screwing a couple of long bolts in the front holes of the torque tube and putting jack stands and blocks there. Even without rear weights it was still plenty heavy on the rear to be stable.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:25 pm

I guess that the lo boy that we converted to a F Cub has a different center of gravity , cause it did jack up the rear of the cub when using a splitting stand. We had that thing balancing on one front wheel for a while :D
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks guys for the imput. Remembered I did make up a set of splitting stands when I changed out the engine. Guess I'll try them and also block up the oil pan just to make sure it doesnt nose dive.

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:27 pm

Dan Stuckey wrote:Thanks guys for the imput. Remembered I did make up a set of splitting stands when I changed out the engine. Guess I'll try them and also block up the oil pan just to make sure it doesnt nose dive.

I thinks thats a good idea. I have mine split right now at tranny/ torque tube connection. Sitting on the splittinh stand, she was balanced with all 4's in the air till I got both rears off. When I pulled and rebuilt my front end, I supported it under the pan with wood like Boss suggested. No problems at all.

Return to “Farmall Cub”