This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carb issue

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
scrappyike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44004
eBay ID: Netman52

Carb issue

Postby scrappyike » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Ok, I pulled out the little glass bowl underneath the gas tank and cleaned it was well as the filter screen. When I turnover the tractor, it still does not start but when I let go of the starting lever, gas spurts out in an area where the carb looks to split in two. There are two bolts holding it in place and what looks like the gasket spilling out. I take it the gasket is shot and I need to replace it? If this is the case, I hope that that is an easy fix. I cannot find any kind of shop manual for the cub so is there any trick or things I should look for or do? Thanks.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of GOD!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Carb issue

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:30 pm

If gas is spurting out between the gasket then air is getting in. That is definitely the thing to fix first and then go from there. Manuals can be found by clicking on the manual link at the top of this page.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:00 pm

There should be two studs with nuts that attach the carb to the manifold. The studs are sometimes replaced with bolts. The carb halves are held together with 4 bolts. If gas is leaking there, your gasket is probably shot, and the top may also need to be flattened so the halves fit together tightly without the gasket. I would recommend getting an OEM gasket from a Case/IH dealer or TM Tractor (sponsor at the bottom of the page). Most of the aftermarket gaskets are either paper or a thin, poor quality cork. When you separate the two halves of the carb, pull them apart parallel to each other or you risk breaking the thin idle tube. Here's the link to the carb page that Barnyard mentioned: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... System.htm

Hope that helps,

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:41 pm

Ike,

Sent you a PM.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Man, do I ever smell a minifest brewing!
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:51 pm

Barnyard wrote:Man, do I ever smell a minifest brewing!

Could be. :) :) :) Right between where I live and the home place, where my son lives AND right near a CASE-IH dealership, where I often get parts. Make the trip often.

Oh, forgot to mention that Ike is a Texas AGGIE also!!!!!! WHOOP! WHOOP!
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm

I just put a bowl gasket on my '63 last year. They are about $5 at the dealer if you have one close.
You can change it without taking the carb off the tractor if you have a right angle screwdriver....
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-4-pc-off ... ockType=G2

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:18 pm

I had the same problem. It is not so easy getting cub parts in Ireland, and the cost of getting a gasket from USA is prohibitive so I took the carb off the manifold and made replacement gasket out of gasket paper. A tricky job and accuracy is very important, but necessity is the mother of invention & poverty is the father LOL. Worked a treat, but if you live in USA it would be better and handier to get the proper one.
Donegal Cub

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Donegal Cub wrote:I had the same problem. It is not so easy getting cub parts in Ireland, and the cost of getting a gasket from USA is prohibitive so I took the carb off the manifold and made replacement gasket out of gasket paper. A tricky job and accuracy is very important, but necessity is the mother of invention & poverty is the father LOL. Worked a treat, but if you live in USA it would be better and handier to get the proper one.
Donegal Cub

One of our forum members made a template that is used to make your own gaskets. Another member posted this How-To http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=64926to describe using the template to make gaskets. Unfortunately, I do not believe the template maker has any more, however, you may be able to get one made for future use.

Bill
Bill

scrappyike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44004
eBay ID: Netman52

Postby scrappyike » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:16 pm

I definitely will be giving Bill a call. Just have to wait for warmer weather. No heat in the barn. Plenty of human anti-freeze but better if we have our wits about us.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of GOD!

Return to “Farmall Cub”