This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO quit suddenly.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Johnk454
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36303
Tractors Owned: !
'52 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

PTO quit suddenly.

Postby Johnk454 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:53 pm

Hmmm. Pulled the PTO cover off the back, and sez "that sure is a little nub of a shaft sticking out of the rear of the transmission. Is it supposed to be that short?". Took off the transmission top cover and the main shaft looks like it has run forward about 3/8"... you can even see the front bearing moved forward out of it's seat. This can't be right, so I immediately mined this site for information and learned about the offset front bearing retainer. The previous owner had replaced "a bunch of seals and bearings", so I had a strong suspicion.... especially since I well know that when there is a 50-50 chance of putting something in backwards, it will be installed backwards 89% of the time!

So I made a set of training wheels for the cub. Readily confess I copied ones I had already seen on this site, utilizing some 2" x 4" x 1/4". rectangular tubing I had on hand.

Unhooked everything that was in the way, installed three 5" long bolts and separated the torque tube from the transmission.

And there it is. Thought a pic might be helpful for other poor newbies like myself.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: PTO quit suddenly.

Postby tst » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:02 pm

Good diag!, make sure it did not eat the splines in the pto hub
Tim

Johnk454
10+ Years
10+ Years
'52 Cub

Postby Johnk454 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:31 pm

tst wrote:Good diag!, make sure it did not eat the splines in the pto hub
Tim

Tim, there was some wear on the shaft and the PTO cluch itself. Since the shaft wasn't terrible, I will probably replace the clutch and test.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:41 pm

Johnk454 wrote:
Tim

Tim, there was some wear on the shaft and the PTO cluch itself. Since the shaft wasn't terrible, I will probably replace the clutch and test.

Also check the little nub on the PTO shifter. They'll wear a flat spot on the pressure side as it try's to keep the collar forward. If its not too bad, I've welded them up and shaped it back round again.

Johnk454
10+ Years
10+ Years
'52 Cub

Postby Johnk454 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:48 pm

RaymondDurban wrote:
Johnk454 wrote:
Tim

Also check the little nub on the PTO shifter. They'll wear a flat spot on the pressure side as it try's to keep the collar forward. If its not too bad, I've welded them up and shaped it back round again.

Thanks, I'll check that.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:09 pm

John:

Nice jacks :D

Glad you found the problem and thanks for posting the pic. That will be helpful.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Johnk454
10+ Years
10+ Years
'52 Cub

Postby Johnk454 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:04 am

Rudi wrote:John:

Nice jacks :D

Glad you found the problem and thanks for posting the pic. That will be helpful.

Thanks, Rudi. Hopefully the pic will help someone!

Return to “Farmall Cub”