[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4493: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression'
Farmall Cub • View topic - 1949 flail mower idler pulleys

1949 flail mower idler pulleys

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:10 pm

Hey fellas i have a different setup on my cub than i have seen on other cubs for the belly flail mower. One of my 7 inch pulleys has a big chunk broken off and it likes to kick the belt off and tear it up. i was wondering does any one have a clue where i can get one of theese pulleys? and is this setup not from a cub i have never seen it again but on mine? my mower also has a arm that bolts on the tractor to lift it up and down with 2 small chains and all every other ones ive seen has just a chain for lifting. is mine old or just oddball my serial number is 81390 so i assume im a 1949.i will attach photos of pulley setup any help would be awesome. thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: 1949 flail mower idler pulleys

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Remove the pulley, measure the axle diameter. Take the pulley to any industrial supply store, nearest tractor dealership, or contact Flailmaster.com. They will be able to fix you up.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:48 pm

what you have is the early model idler and lift. I believe the pulley is the same for either one though, even with being mounted differently.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:54 pm

Do you know if there is any number on it? Not wise about belly mount flail mowers, but early rotary mowers used a cast pulley and were later a stamped (and riveted) pulley.

For an idler pulley, you should be good with one of those.

If you don't find any other info on it, let me know and I will dig up the place that sells pulleys.

Also, Flailmaster and Montage (sp) are really good to deal with and a phone call to them may help.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:02 am

http://www.montageent.com/index.html

http://www.flailmaster.com/

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:20 am

If you are handy with a welder, you can weld in a section to repair the one you have. My dad could have done it. If you have a welder close by that would try it just for giggles, give it a try. I have one near me that is cocky enough that he would do it for free just to prove he could....
If you try - preheat is the word of the day - about 400F. Then short bursts and back in the oven.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:44 pm

Good point, I have used a cast pulley on my fast hitch flail mower that was repaired and ran it without a problem for a couple of years. But it does look like they used the original broken piece in the repair.

The advantage of a cast pulley is you can press the old bearing out and a new one in. The riveted together, pressed pulleys are not so easy to replace the bearings on.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:44 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:........The advantage of a cast pulley is you can press the old bearing out and a new one in. The riveted together, pressed pulleys are not so easy to replace the bearings on.
i tried replacing the bearings in my original cast pulleys, but when I tried, the were an odd size that no one could supply.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 am

John, I had the same problem until I found the Ag bearing section of the Timken catalog. For whatever reason, Ag bearings are even inch dimensions - 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, while all other bearings are metric - 20, 25, 30.
Dad would take pieces to work and fix them on his lunch hour - he had a full machine shop at his disposal at work. Can't count how many flywheels he turned....

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:12 am

One can usually get cast pullys from your local bearing distributor. Judging from your zip code you could try Akron Bearing.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:08 pm

I have a very early flail mower and the idler pulleys mount further back on the drawbar than where yours are located. mine mount where they bridge over the "U".

Todd

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:14 am

Akron Bearing should be able to help...Got a lot of Harley bearings thru them and other stuff.Good place and good idea Ray..Kevin :shock: :shock: :shock: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:57 am

Suggest you check out the For Sale Cub's subforum - there is a flail unit being parted out. Might be a source of replacement pulleys for you. It is about 3/4's of the way down the page.