This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Draining TC so oil can be reused.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Draining TC so oil can be reused.

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:08 am

My '53's hydraulic lines have about a pound of braze on them up at the pump.

I put 'em back on after replacing the seals and orings in the pump and TC, filled the TC, got everything working nice... then promptly found a nice set of lines to replace them with. Figures. So now I have 2 quarts of brand new uncontaminated hytran in the system.

How do I get it out without wasting it? The drain hole just lets it ooze out on to the torque tube, ruining the oil.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Johnk454
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36303
Tractors Owned: !
'52 Cub

Re: Draining TC so oil can be reused.

Postby Johnk454 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:My '53's hydraulic lines have about a pound of braze on them up at the pump.

I put 'em back on after replacing the seals and orings in the pump and TC, filled the TC, got everything working nice... then promptly found a nice set of lines to replace them with. Figures. So now I have 2 quarts of brand new uncontaminated hytran in the system.

How do I get it out without wasting it? The drain hole just lets it ooze out on to the torque tube, ruining the oil.

Loosed the fill plug to relieve pressure if hot, then snug back. Leave the fill plug in, have handy a short 1/8" NPT nipple and 90deg elbow, unscrew the drain and screw in the nipple/elbow combo. You won't catch every drop, but will loose very little if you leave the fill plug closed initially due to the lack of ingress of air to replace the fluid. Once the temp drain nipple is in place, remove the fill plug and it will flow fairly well into your VERY CLEAN container.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 pm

I guess the risk is worth it.....

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:13 pm

The drain process outlined above sounds like a reasonable solution to capture the used oil.

I'm sure it will work and there is probably a 99.9% chance you can pull it off with no contamination side effects.

But on the 0.1% chance the oil does become contaminated to the point of causing trouble, to me it isn't worth risking a small investment to refill with new oil.

You could save the HyTran for future use in a manual transmission so it really wouldn't be going to waste.

I personally wouldn't reuse fluids unless done so on modern applications with easily changed spin on filtering systems.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Johnk454
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36303
Tractors Owned: !
'52 Cub

Postby Johnk454 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:50 pm

For the record, I'm not wild about reusing fluids either, generally speaking. The method I described above was something I came up with to keep the hydraulic fluid from running across the torque tube as mentioned with the extra benefit of capturing it in a big glass jar for inspection of detritus.

Still, it could be handy to have in your back pocket if the need pops up...

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:03 pm

I think the transmission suggestion is an excellent one.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:41 pm

Duct tape a piece of clean plastic, tin or what have you directly under the drain plug to act as a funnel to direct the flow into a clean container. Clean the area around the plug with a tooth brush or equivalent prior to removing the plug.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:56 pm

I would also use clear glass containers. I personally use canning jars. I can hold it up to the light and see any little speck.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks for the ideas!

Normally I would toss the oil but since I did a complete rebuild of the hydraulics stem to stern I know the oil is squeaky clean in there. Just hate to waste it.

Return to “Farmall Cub”