[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4493: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression'
Farmall Cub • View topic - SA Transmission Problem???

SA Transmission Problem???

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Hey guys! I seem to have another problem...I was running my '48 SA around the farm yesterday to exercise it and even ran it up in third gear. I then parked it after no apparent problems. But when I went to start it this morning, and THOUGHT I put it in neutral to start it, it jumped as though in gear. I moved the gear shifter, and it SEEMED to move between reverse, 1st and second, but would not shift into third or fourth. And when I tried to roll the tractor, it was obviously still in gear.

I pulled the transmission cover and saw nothing obviously wrong. I removed the forks from the cover, and still did not see anything obviously wrong. However, since I have never looked at the inside of the SA transmission before, perhaps someone will spot the source of my problem or tell me what to try next.

Here is a link to the photos:
http://s1155.photobucket.com/albums/p558/bdfinch/Bubba%2048%20SA/Transmission/

I don't know if the shifter itself is worn down or if the narrowed end is normal. Thanks for your input!

Re: SA Transmission Problem???

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:01 pm

Dale,

If you decide you need it, I have a shifter & top cover off that straight Farmall A of mine. My first instinct is it's the shifter but I could be wrong.

Al

Re: SA Transmission Problem???

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:35 pm

Had the same problem with mine. Found that the first and reverse fork was not moving with the shifter all the time. The shifter moved like it was in neutal but the tractor would not roll. Seemed like it was in reverse. I took off the shifter cover and everything was lined up and looked good and lined up. I took apart the shifter and cleaned it well. I then coated the ball and socket parts with oil and knocked the shifter back and forth till things were lubed up and working correctly. It worked for me. Not sure if its the same problem but sure sounds the same.

Re: SA Transmission Problem???

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:18 am

:!: One thing that comes to mind is the safety point of only starting the tractor from the operators seat, not from the ground
(which I myself am repeatedly guilty of :oops: ).
I always shake the shifter to make sure it is out of gear but that doesn't take in consideration when somethings broken.

Sorry I can't help with your problem but your post is a perfect example of the reason for that safety warning we all know about but seldom follow. :roll:

Re: SA Transmission Problem???

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Lt.Mike wrote: One thing that comes to mind is the safety point of only starting the tractor from the operators seat, not from the ground

I absolutely agree! And if I hadn't been deliberately standing clear of the left tire, my foot would be a bit flatter now!! And there is no excuse...I was simply lazy and didn't want to "CLIMB" up onto that tall beast. Sometimes I want to use the cub JUST because it is easier to get up on! Getting too old...but if I am not more careful, I may not get any older!!!

P.S. I am about to go out and open the transmission on my parts SA and compare the shifter...see if it looks better. Will let you know what I find.

Re: SA Transmission Problem???

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:04 pm

BDFinch wrote:
Lt.Mike wrote: One thing that comes to mind is the safety point of only starting the tractor from the operators seat, not from the ground

I absolutely agree! And if I hadn't been deliberately standing clear of the left tire, my foot would be a bit flatter now!! And there is no excuse...I was simply lazy and didn't want to "CLIMB" up onto that tall beast. Sometimes I want to use the cub JUST because it is easier to get up on! Getting too old...but if I am not more careful, I may not get any older!!!

P.S. I am about to go out and open the transmission on my parts SA and compare the shifter...see if it looks better. Will let you know what I find.


Any suggestions for those of us that have to start these things with a hand-crank on occasion?

Re: SA Transmission Problem???

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:20 pm

Mr E wrote:Any suggestions for those of us that have to start these things with a hand-crank on occasion?

Be ready to jump high and fast??!!

Re: SA Transmission Problem???

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:33 pm

There is a step made for the Super A. They are listed on eBay from time to time.

Re: SA Transmission Problem???

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Don McCombs wrote:There is a step made for the Super A. They are listed on eBay from time to time.

I'm definitely going to look for one! It wasn't so bad until I removed the Woods 59 mower last week!!

Re: SA Transmission Problem???

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:47 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Step-Farmall-In ... 460aea2e82

Re: SA Transmission Problem???

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:09 pm

BDFinch wrote:
Mr E wrote:Any suggestions for those of us that have to start these things with a hand-crank on occasion?

Be ready to jump high and fast??!!

:lol:
A very good point as I handcrank my A too. Guess it just comes down to being aware and staying on your toes.
Maybe you could have someone else sitting in the seat when you've got to handcrank it, if another person is available.
:big give up:

Re: SA Transmission Problem???

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:33 pm

How about locking the brakes before you crank? Might give you enough of a head start. :D

Bob

Re: SA Transmission Problem???

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:58 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:How about locking the brakes before you crank? Might give you enough of a head start. :D

Bob

Even on a good day, the brakes probably wouldn't buy much time. If I had any doubts about the transmission "really" being in neutral, I would give it a "test crank" with the ignition switch off or the magneto switch grounded, as the case may be, so it couldn't start.

Al

Re: SA Transmission Problem???

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:01 pm

A short update...I installed my "parts SA" (aka #2) transmission cover/shifter on my restored SA, and everything worked fine, so at least the transmission itself is apparently OK. I did NOT take the substitute shifter forks off, so I could not compare the wear of the shifter's rectangular "end" to the original one (aka #1). I think I will carefully photograph the #1, clean, reassemble & install it, and see if it works. THEN I will take apart #2 so I can compare the shifter end. It may be that the rectangular tip is worn thinner than it should be...I just haven't compared it yet.

From what folks have said, sometimes the wear on the shifter is enough to allow the transmission to get stuck in gear, so as long as that is the only problem, I won't be too worried.

Re: SA Transmission Problem???

Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:53 am

I have seen a similar problem where the guide for the forks breaks. It is a stamped steel piece that mounts to the underside of the cover. I did not realize mine was broken until I compared it to another one. Replaced it and no more problems.