This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Will starting fluid hurt my cub?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Will starting fluid hurt my cub?

Postby Dan Stuckey » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:01 pm

In the very cold weather my cub is a real bear to get started. Hey bunch of grinding and sometimes it's still won't start. So I was at NAPA today buying a new six volt bulb for it and thought of getting some starting fluid. I bought a can and came home and gave it about a two second shot in the intake. The engine fired up immediately and ran like a top. I heard in the past that ether can be hard on an engine and just wondering if this will do any harm to use starting fluid occasionally.

Hey guys. You can disregard this unless something interesting. I did a search on starting fluid and there is plenty of reading on this site for it. Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Re: Will starting fluid hurt my cub?

Postby Clark Thompson » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:48 pm

wont hurt it.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:56 pm

With the Cub, if starting fluid is needed, the ignition and fuel systems need to be brought up to top condition. The starting fluid for Cub does not cure a problem, just masks it temporarily. Soon the fluid will not do the job.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:58 pm

I do not like to use it. I do know that the diesel Ford tractor we had got addicted to it :D But that was an old Perkins 3 cyl with a Lucas starting system on it. May have been the worst electrical system that was ever made. You will get many answers to this question on both sides. If it is in tune, with good compression, and good cranking system, it should crank without ether.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:07 pm

One thing to keep in mind, if you're trying to start it with the clutch pedal pushed down, it is MUCH harder on the engine to start it. All that pressure from the clutch is pushing on the flywheel. If you put it in neutral and let the clutch out, they are a lot easier to start!
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:35 pm

The engine does start quite well in warmer temperatures. I might have a mild compression problem as I posted earlies that I do have small bubbles coming up around several head bolts. I just purchased new head bolts and gasket and will replace soon. As i have been treating the head bolts to Kroil and hitting them with a hammer and short piece of rebar, as kroil has pooled around the spark plugs, I even see tiny bubble around the base of them. I have tightened them down as tight as I feel they should be but some bubbles still are sceen. I know ideally, this should not happen but I wonder on just how many engines this does happen on. How many times do we have fluid around the plugs to notice this same thing or able to even see the base of the plugs to check on this.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:56 am

Here is a link from last November where the issue of starting fluid was discussed.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74948&p=601310#p601310
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:03 am

Dan:

I started with a little bit of coolant/bubbles around the plugs - mostly #2. Changed the head gasket cause the gasket leaked. Thought it fixed it. Nope .. didn't do it. Redid the gasket again, checked the head for a crack but couldn't see anything. Reassembled, retorqued ater a few hours at operating temp and thought it was fixed. Nope - bubbles and coolant still coming out - then I looked at it more closely. Cracked head. Hairline but the head was cracked nonetheless. So that meant I did it one more time - with a replacement head and now no more leaks/bubbles.

Solve the head/head gasket problem and then solve the starting problem. If you must use help, suggest carb cleaner - much easier on the engine than ether. Save ether for diesel's - they usually need it :roll: (learned that on the TD7/8's :D )
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:40 am

Boss Hog wrote:...with a Lucas starting system on it. May have been the worst electrical system that was ever made.

Amen to that.. http://www4.ncsu.edu/~mtmorris/index3.html
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:19 am

I am sparing with starting fluid..... really need to be in a jam to use it. Somewhere I heard it washes the oil off the cyl walls or something??

Usually if there is a problem starting a Cub, may as well fix whatever is causing it. You will be much better off in the end. A Cub should start on the first or second try. Even in the cold.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:56 am

In cold weather when cranking a low compression engine the little heat that is created on compression makes frost on the spark plug electrodes. If your cub doesnt fire on the first few trys then It can be assmes frost has shorted the gap in the plugs. When giving it some either/ starting fluid it dryes the electrode aiding is starting. In a diesel engine the starting fluid mixed with diesel fires at a much lower temperature. Making it start. On diesel engines it is wise to use starting fluid sparingly. Too much can cause either lock. I have seen cyinder heads blow apart by too much either. Plus it can blow pistons apart. On gas engines there is very little risk of damage.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Return to “Farmall Cub”