This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Selling outside the U.S.

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30152
Tractors Owned: 1948, 1949, 1953, 1961 Cubs
1941 Minneapolis Moline
1939 John Deere H
1986 IMT 539
Multiple Ford 8Ns that aren't any good

Selling outside the U.S.

Postby John C » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:50 pm

I have a car for sale and have been contacted by a fellow in Mexico that wants to buy it. So far, he has passed my initial scammer tests and seems to be a legitimate buyer. Has anyone sold a car outside the U.S.? How can I protect myself and make this work if the buyer is the real thing?

It's a unique car, so it isn't like he could just drive over the border and get one nearby.

He would wire me the money. It would have to be shipped to a town in Texas near the border where a broker would handle the export.

John
"If every day were a holiday, sport would soon become chore"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Selling outside the U.S.

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:43 pm

John, I think the big thing is to make sure the payment clears, no matter how it is sent, before the car leaves your possession. Even a bank's cashier's check can be forged. You might check with your bank and find out how they would like the money sent as to be easily verified that the funds exist. Jmo, but be careful.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:49 pm

I totally agree with Bob. I would also let the seller handle all shipping arrangements (after you have hard cash in hand). That way if there is a problem it is his problem.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:40 pm

those guys that scam can make fake paypal websites look real . payment would never be "deposited" into my accounts in any way , shape , or form . the car would never leave my property until the "payment " was converted to cold hard american cash in my hand. mtc, coppersmythe..............................ps: i've spent many weeks in mexico , met many great folks , and some that were not . kinda like here in the USA . but , once across that border , anything goes.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:25 am

Even cash can be a problem.
A guy had a pick up for sale for about 17K. An old man and his wife showed up, inspected and drove it. They agreed on a price and the old man retrieved a shopping bag of cash from his vehicle.

They went inside and counted out the cash. The title was signed and the old man drove off with his wife following in the vehicle they came in.

The seller was advised to deposit the money over time so as not to raise suspicion at the bank leading them to believe the cash was from something illegal.

The first deposit went without a problem. The second deposit had 2 counterfeit 100's in it. A few additional bogus bills were discovered before the last deposit was finally made.

The seller wound up 400 lighter which he was convinced was not the buyers fault but none the less, 400 is 400.

If you take cash for anything, it would be a great idea to get a marking pen from the bank and to look for the strip in the bill to protect yourself.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:54 am

I don't know, John, deals like this scare the heck out of me! Maybe that broker, in southern Texas could be a key player in the transaction. At any rate, I'd certainly talk with your bank, to get their take on it.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:42 am

I'd ask the buyer to pay me in full for the car including shipping, by certified bank check, in the currency of your choice. After you received his payment and his check cleared, I would transfer the original title to him by fax/secure e-mail than after the vehicle has been delivered send a complete bill of sale with the title. This is how I sell a car here. I get paid then I transfer the title. But, in this case, he's not standing next to you for the transaction, he's in Mexico.

I’ve sold a few collector cars out of the US and after the first two I’ve decided to go through classic car broker(s).
Last edited by Jack fowler on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:59 am

Just like ocean shipping. Hire a bonded agent that takes care of everything start to finish.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:54 am

I would suggest that safest route to go is to get a broker/bonded agent. Decide what the number is that you want for the car. It would then be up to the buyer in Mexico to pay for the broker fees and all other costs involved including transport, change of title etc., on top of that number. Before the vehicle leaves your possession make sure that the certified cheque/bank draft clears and the cash is in your account with no holds. That just be me, and me dos centavos worth of opinion. I figure it is better to be safe than sorry. If the guy really wants your car he will do what needs to be done. If not, then maybe he really doesn't want your car bad enough. All of my International moves and sales have been through brokers/bonded agents and I have never gotten scammed.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:31 am

Not about the original topic but for reference of large cash transactions....
lazyuniondriver wrote:.............A guy had a pick up for sale for about 17K.......
..............The seller was advised to deposit the money over time so as not to raise suspicion at the bank leading them to believe the cash was from something illegal................
Bad advice from the seller and ILLEGAL!!! Any cash over $10,000 requires an IRS form 8300. The "over time" statement doesn't work either unless you hold onto it and deposit it over several years.
http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/FAQs-Regarding-Reporting-Cash-Payments-of-Over-$10,000-(Form-8300)
By the way a personal check doesn't count for the over $10,000 reporting as the bank would have already reported it if needed. But then that brings up the necessity to wait a week to ten days to make sure the money gets in your account and stays in your account before releasing in this case the truck to the new owner. Also, as has already been mentioned a cashier's check should be treated as nothing special anymore, to easy to fake.
lazyuniondriver wrote:...........The first deposit went without a problem. The second deposit had 2 counterfeit 100's in it. A few additional bogus bills were discovered before the last deposit was finally made............
Not really unusual to find a few especially in 100's.
lazyuniondriver wrote:.......If you take cash for anything, it would be a great idea to get a marking pen from the bank and to look for the strip in the bill to protect yourself.
Good advice. You can purchase one of those pens just about anywhere, if you can get your bank to turn loose of one good luck. Even better advice would be take the buyer and any large amounts of money to the bank and let them count and check it. If the buyer doesn't want to do that, should be a red flag for you. If you mark the bills and find a few fakes and the buyer knew they were there it could turn into an unpleasant situation. At the bank they can deal with it. Plus when they count the money and say it's all there, it's all there.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:02 pm

Scrivet wrote:Even better advice would be take the buyer and any large amounts of money to the bank and let them count and check it. If the buyer doesn't want to do that, should be a red flag for you.

That's actually a really good idea. The bank confiscates counterfeits so whatever you walk out of there with or deposit there or someplace else is guaranteed to be genuine legal tender currency.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:48 pm

you even have to be careful in banks , i had a bad $100 bill given to me by a teller , she was so good the cameras were not a clear witness. she was slipping them in with cash and keeping the real ones. i was reimbersed , but only because my cousin was head of security and vouched for me . the teller was finally caught . it was a very good fake, by the way . coppersmythe..................................

John C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30152
Tractors Owned: 1948, 1949, 1953, 1961 Cubs
1941 Minneapolis Moline
1939 John Deere H
1986 IMT 539
Multiple Ford 8Ns that aren't any good

Postby John C » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:19 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I will not be dealing in cash, so no worries about counterfeit bills.

I like the idea of a broker handling the transaction, etc. In fact the buyer has a broker that he deals with. I just have to verify the broker is legitimate.

I actually like the idea of selling the car outside the country. I set a firm price on my car and the market here isn't able to support it. I just have to be very careful.

John
"If every day were a holiday, sport would soon become chore"

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby coppersmythe » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:53 pm

good luck john , let us know how it turns out, coppersmythe........................

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:08 pm

Yup to what Val said John. Hope it goes well and keep us posted.

Oh....., I am curious .. exactly what is it? The car I mean. Got a pic :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Off Topic”