Mag Oil Seal Installation Tool

Batteries, magnetos, distributors, wiring harnesses and more.

Moderators: Barnyard, Team Cub

Mag Oil Seal Installation Tool

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:52 pm

The following steps only work if you have wood working tools available...

1) Take a small piece of hardwood and plane it down to the correct thickness (23/32"), or as close as you can using a caliper to measure the board.
2) Then take a new seal and trace an outline of it on the board. Cut the outline out of the board on the inside of the line, so it's a bit smaller in diameter than the seal.
3)Cut out another circle, larger than the seal and stack it on the first circle you cut out. This will create a "lip" so that the seal isn't driven in too far. Drill a hole through both and bolt them together.
4) Now you have a driver that is the correct size as to equalize the contact points, and thickness so that the seal is set to the proper place.

I've made a few like this and they work great!
RaymondDurban
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Mag oil seal n stall question

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:01 pm

When I get to Fla, I'll get the dimensions and a few pics for everyone. It's real easy to make if you have the right tools. I used the lathe on mine to get it nice and perfect, but not in a chuck. I just squeezed the boards up between the tailstock and motor after the rough cut with a scroll saw. The lathe dimples in the wood created the center points for the drill press to create the holes necessary to bolt them together.
RaymondDurban
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Return to Ignition/Electrical