This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Cadet 86 Question

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Cub Cadet 86, Cub Cadet 109, Cub Cadet 129, John Deere GT-235, 1948 Farmall Cub

Cub Cadet 86 Question

Postby Calvin » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:12 am

Hello everyone, I have a question about one of my cadets, recently while shifting gears on the cadet the floor stick just started flopping all around. You can still get it into gear but you have a heck of a time doing it. Heres the question, is the cadets trans the same as the ol cub I used to have? In other words can I just unbolt the top loader to see whats going on?
Thanks fellows.
Calvin....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:58 am

Yes, it is the same. It has probably sheared the swivel stop pin, (if it has one, not all of them do) or the shift gate ("H" gate inside the shift tower) has come loose. I believe there is a 'George Willer' repair for a Cub shifter on Rudi's Cub Manual server, that should be just what you need.

Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Cub Cadet 86, Cub Cadet 109, Cub Cadet 129, John Deere GT-235, 1948 Farmall Cub

Cadet

Postby Calvin » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:36 pm

Hi Paul, thank you sir I appreciate the info. Ill try to find Georges info on this and if iiiiiiffffffff it cools down a little here Ill go out and start tearing it down. I know it cant be much because I went through all this and definatly more with my ol cub a few years ago. Again paul thanks my friend.
Calvin WV....

Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Shifter

Postby Calvin » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:48 pm

Well today I finally got to taking the top loader off. I didnt see anything wrong, I set the ball back into the nuetral postion put it back together and it worked pretty good until I started it up and tried it. Now its back to being a big pain. The shifter just flops back and forth, I can still get it into 1st and reverse but your left leg goes to sleep from try after try. The ball looks good so I dont have a clue whats going on.
Calvin WV...

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:04 am

Calvin
If I understand your problem correctly, the problem is in the tower that the lever fits in - the part in the cover, not the ball on the end of the lever. Go here, http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Maintenance%20Tips%20and%20Techniques/Articles%20by%20George%20Willer/Cub%20Shifter%20Repair/Cub%20Shifter%20Repair%20and%20Improvement.htm for George's fix. If that is not the problem, check the shifting forks in the transmission. They are known to break and or bend, crack, bolts loosen up etc.

Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cadet

Postby Calvin » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:33 pm

Hi Paul, I went to his page but I still cant figure this one out. When I first took it apart the ball on the end of the stick, was in the center but the first and reverse slider was towards the back of the trans. Well I put the slider back in the center put the shifter back in and it worked great until I started the motor. Now its back to doing what it did in the first place. The shifter just flops back and forth I can get it into second and third gear good but first and reverse is a mess. Ill try again when it get a little cooler. Thanks Paul and take care.
Calvin WV.....

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:48 am

Calvin
There is something wrong with the first/reverse shifting fork. It's either broke, loose on the rail (rod), or the tabs/slot that the ball on the shifter goes in is bent/broke/spread apart.

Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cadet

Postby Calvin » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:01 am

Hi Paul, you know what Paul I never had this much trouble with the ol cub I rebuilt 5 years ago. I guess its because I cant get around like I did 5 years ago but this cadet is a pain. I probably looked over something when I had it apart so Im going to tear it down again and see whats going on. Thanks Paul, if I find out I will let you know take care.
Calvin WV....

Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cadet update

Postby Calvin » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:43 pm

Well its been a while now and still cant figure this on out. Tore it apart again and put the shifter ball back in its place and worked great until I started the engine and again I can get 2nd and third gear but first and reverse is terrible. The shifter just flops around like its broke off. If you set there with the clutch in and yank and tear and yank you can get it in low and reverse but by the time you get it your leg holding in the clutch falls off what a pain. Here I built a homemade front end loader for it and cant use it thats sad. Felt like taking the loader off and putting it on my other cub with hydrostatic trans what a pain.
Calvin WV

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:49 am

Calvin
If I am understanding what you are saying, and what you are calling the "ball" and the first-reverse "slider", the "ball" is the very bottom end of the shift lever, and the "slider" is the shifting fork for first and reverse. If that is correct, I go back to what I have said before, there is something wrong with the first and reverse shifting fork or slider as you are calling it It is broken, or loose on the rail or rod it is attached to, or the bolt that is supposed to attach it to the rail is broken and/or fallen out, or the tabs that the "ball" fits into are broken, bent, or spread apart, .......... but something is wrong with that shifting fork. Or maybe I don't fully understand what the problem is.

Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Hi paul

Postby Calvin » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:33 pm

Hello again Paul, yea your right there has to be something going on I probably will tear it down again this coming weekend. I had my Farmall Cubs trans tore clean apart and got it going so this should be easy. I'll let you know what I came up with Paul, oh and your right I was talking about the ball on the end of the shifter.
Calvin WV.....

Return to “Cub Cadet”