This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Plowing question number one.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Todd Porter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40324
Circle of Safety: Y

Plowing question number one.

Postby Todd Porter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi to all, been taking advantage of some mild weather here recently. I bought my cub last summer with the intention of mowing with it, but the property I bought is a little too steep for comfort, so my cub is being assigned to gardening and utility work. I bought a plow last year with coulter, ended up buying another for the depth control since the first one didn't have one.( as an aside, I have an extra plow for sale. pm me for details). Anyway, took the mower off, flipped the drawbar around and mounted the depth control, all loosely fitted for now so's I can check everything before use. The problem: the depth control is touching the rt. rear tire. After some consideration it occurred to me that the rt. tire is mounted lugs in, as opposed to the left which is lug out (or vice versa, regardless they are not the same). So, if I flip the rim around my tire tread will be opposite the left side, correct? Ag tires are directional, right? Will this affect plowing at all? Or, as my wife jokingly stated " if your tires go in opposite directions will you drive around in little circles?" :D I measured the width tire center to tire center, it checked at 42 inches, so it is odd. The manual states they rear wheels are adjustable from 40,44,48,etc. Would that be the correct method of measurement? Any advice is appreciated, I have lots of maintenance to do before getting in the field, if it ever dies out enough to get there, been very wet here this year. Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Re: Plowing question number one.

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:55 pm

One Tire is mounted backwards. You can swap the right and left tire and this should solve the clearance problem. Make sure both tires are in the pulling position. It is not the worst thing if one is a little closer than the other. look at the pics in the manual for the tire mounting.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:56 pm

You will want the treads in the proper direction for plowing or you'll spin pretty easy. Tread width should be at 44 for the 193 plow. That will allow depth lever to clear the tire. You probably only need to move the rims to the outside of the center. I'm not sure I follow how yours is set up. A pic would help or you can go to the operators manual and see how you should set it up for 44" tread width. Good luck!

Looks like Boss was quicker! :)
Thomas

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:02 pm

If you snooze you loose :D
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:12 pm

Boss' WiFi must be pretty good from the renovated throne!!!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:32 am

The four lugs inside the rim are offset to one side. Tires should be mounted so that the rim/tire assemblies are mirror images of each other.

It sounds like your tractor might have "two left shoes." To make it "right" you might need to remove the tire from the rim and flip it over. Not a huge deal for a person that knows what they're doing, but a challenge for a tire changing rookie.

However, you should be able to find a combination where the tread is facing the correct direction and is the correct width, even with two left shoes. WITHOUT having to take the tire off the rim.

If the lugs were on the inside of the wheel center/disk, simply remounting the tire in the same direction with the lugs on the outside of the wheel center will widen the tractor by 2".

To be "right," both rear tires should be mounted mirror-image to each other. Symmetrical.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:01 pm

I like your wife's sense of humor. You already have the scoop on the tires so I can not add to it.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Todd Porter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40324

Postby Todd Porter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:13 pm

"It sounds like your tractor might have "two left shoes." To make it "right" you might need to remove the tire from the rim and flip it over. Not a huge deal for a person that knows what they're doing, but a challenge for a tire changing rookie."

That's what I'm thinking too. Luckily I don't think there's any fluid in the tires, I haven't seen them sweat, and we get some pretty good temperature / humidity swings this time of year. Of course, they're quite old and hard as heck. Looks like a challenge. Here's some pics of my situation.
Attachments
DSC00512 (640x360) (512x288).jpg
DSC00511 - Copy (512x288) - Copy.jpg

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:41 pm

If I'm looking at your pics correctly, then you just need to unbolt one rim from the center and just turn the tire around. The tire that is backwards of course.
Thomas

Return to “Farmall Cub”