This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Intenational Harvester Refrigerator

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
jlmason81
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75126
eBay ID: jlmason81

Intenational Harvester Refrigerator

Postby jlmason81 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:15 pm

I stumbled across a good usable IH Refrigerator today and was wondering what they are worth. I would be looking for it to collect but would like to get a good buy. Does anybody know anything about their value??
Attachments
photo 1.JPG

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Intenational Harvester Refrigerator

Postby Former Member » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:25 pm

I know you most likely will pay more for electricity for it than you pay for it. They are energy hogs.

jlmason81
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jlmason81 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Dale,

Very true! We already have a General Motors one and it is the same way. Still it makes for a nice cold beverage box!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:31 pm

Reminds me of the one that was on the TV show "Friends."

I wouldn't worry too much about the power usage. Up until about 2 years ago, we had an ancient deep freezer, it was bought new by my grandparents, about the same vintage as IH fridges. After it finally gave up the ghost, I couldn't see any noticable difference in our power bill.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:06 am

You will find the prices of these older fridges are pushed up because of the government recycling programs.
Contact your power company and ask them how much they will pay you to replace your 1960's refrigerator with a new energy star fridge.
This is the minimum amount you can offer someone for a fridge.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:00 am

Neat find!

I know that logically any older appliance is an “energy hog”, but I have to agree with Al on not noticing a difference.

I own my grandparents old place in Nebraska and with it came the 1947 Kelvinator refrigerator that they purchased new when they got electricity to the house. It had been moved to a “back-up” fridge in the utility room in the late 60’s and more recently was only used for drinks and such the 4 or so weeks a year I am there. It has run faithfully from that point until I regretfully unplugged it a couple years ago and replaced it with a newer model thinking it was the main draw on my monthly ~$30 electric bill. Well, the bill has gone up, likely the rate, but I have not dug into it. We are on the 3rd “newer”, primary refrigerator in the kitchen… I think the Kelvinator will find its way back into use next trip there! :wink:

Let us know how you come out,
David

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:59 pm

The key to energy use on any appliance like a fridge is how often and how long the door is open for. Once the unit has reached optimum temp, then it takes very little to keep it there. We have three freezers in the basement. Two are relatively new Energy Star 15 cu ft Kenmore's and the other one is an antique 21 cu ft Woods that is now on it's 3rd generation in the family. Our electric bill isn't that high nor out of order. My shop bill is usually about 30 bucks a month and 26 of that is simply for the privilege of having a meter on the wall.

If I found an old IH fridge that is working - it would be in me pole barn real quick to keep me beverages cold :lol: And yes, I am looking for one locally :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

jlmason81
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jlmason81 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Guys,

Thank you for all of the comments. My main concern is the condition of the unit and how much is it worth. Any ideas on value?

Jeff

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:25 pm

Jeff:

For me as long as it is working and will keep say beverages cold and make ice then it would be worth between $50.00 and $75.00. We have an incentive/rebate program as well, and NB Power used to give us about a $35.00 rebate when purchasing a new Energy Star Appliance. For the one in the pic - closer to $50.00, but that is just my $0.02 worth and at the current exchange rate I am not sure if it even amounts to that. We no longer have pennies so they round up or down to the nearest nickle :big give up: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:53 pm

jlmason81 wrote:My main concern is the condition of the unit and how much is it worth. Any ideas on value?
Plug it in and see if it cools. Check the condition of the door gasket. New gasket and any repairs could be expensive. Door handle appears to be broken.

Value: In working condition and as pictured, very little or haul off for free. You can search the internet for antique refrigerators for sale. Problem is that those pictured have been refurbished, appear to be in pristine condition, and from retail outlets.
I have an excuse. CRS.

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Sorry, this thread took me down memory lane with the Kelvinator, I didn’t mean to get off point…

I did not find any that have been sold recently on ebay, none listed, just tons of advertising and a few handles. Guess as Eugene suggested, a little time Googling may give a little guidance. Is it complete inside- shelves / drawers? I think the novelty of having an IH appliance is often overcome with the practical side sets in, so it becomes a question on what it is worth to you.

It does look cool, heck, hook up that IH #2 cart and go get that bad boy!
David

jlmason81
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jlmason81 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:41 pm

I can't see spending what he is asking for Refrigerator. It is all about condition and it is not in great shape.

David, thanks for the info on the #2 Trailer, it is a pretty nice little trailer. Most likely my good friend, Cubfriend, will end up with the trailer. If I find something neat I will call and ask if he is interested. If he is, I will just buy it and he can get it when we see each other at a show. He has an established credit line with 0% interest rate with me . :D He has a growing cadet collection and I am sticking with the standard Cubs and Lo Boys. Here is my favorite trailer!
Attachments
photo.JPG

CubitisNH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby CubitisNH » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:46 pm

I too have an old IH fridge-traded a half-cord of wood for it at least 15 years ago. I kept it plugged in one whole year in my garage and never noticed a measurable increase in power consumption. These old units are quieter than any modern fridge I've had in the last 25 years as well.If you want it,buy it,assuming it works.Running,it should be worth at least $50. In good condition,double that is reasonable. I wouldn't sell mine for $200.
Mike
How can you have too many Cubs????

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Working $100 not working, not much
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:46 am

Bought a similar aged (maybe a little newer) similar looking "back porch" working refrigerator at auction a couple months ago for $25. Was cautioned not to turn it to cold because it liked to freeze things :D

Bought a house with an old GE refrigerator from I guess the 40's about 20 years ago. Door gasket was shot so I replaced it with foam weatherstripping. It had a porcelain metal interior. I took the "couple hundred" screws around the edge of the door out to take the inside panel off to remove the remaining gasket. The insulation in the door was layers and layers of corrugated cardboard :shock: Sold the house ten years ago and the buyers liked the old refrigerator and wanted it to stay with the house. Since it weighed only a few pounds less than the house, I was happy not to have to move it.

Return to “Off Topic”