This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Let It Snow-- New England

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Let It Snow-- New England

Postby BigBill » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:53 pm

Back in the blizzard of '78 I felt hopeless with being snowed in for 4 days. Luckily we went to the store before the storm so we had food but the power never went out we were lucky. By the spring it was time to install a woodstove for back up heat. Then i felt with 3 small kids we could survive anything. I been heating with wood now since '78.

I believe with this storm my FCUB would of done a great job in plowing the snow too. With its higher ground clearance we could clear the snow from it being packed under it. Most of my neighbors have front end loaders. That oughta tell us something about the snow fall north of rt84.

I do know that most of these snowplow guys don't know how to plow too. These guys with 1 ton trucks can't be so bullish with 3'+ of snow. When the snow gets deeper we need to push it side to side to open the path up first then clean it with the plow angled to the left and right.

The bottomline is snowplowing is an art and we learn as we go too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:11 pm

CapeCodCubs wrote:Not a happy camper in Massachusetts. My brother says I should be having fun. I am cold and sore from shoveling and snow throwing wet snow. When the storm hit and knocked out power the only heat I had was out in the Cubhouse, well 80 mph winds took care of the insulated stove pipe knocking that off the roof. So on Saturday morning early I got a ladder and climbed out onto the roof to fix the stove pipe and get a fire going. I was really nervous climbing an icy ladder onto the roof. As some of you know I fell a few months ago off a roof and broke my arm and hand in 20 places. I got the stove pipe in place and snapped a picture from the roof of the Cub House.

I have had no power since Friday and estimates are no power until this Friday. Saturday night temps hit 12 degrees and finally it has warmed up and is raining. Another storm is headed our way and I seriously doubt I will have power for another week. OUr electtric company got fined for not dealing with the last storm properly. All weekend long I did not see one utility truck. This is demoralizing when 3 days go by and the road hasn't been plowed and not a single (f)utility truck is in sight. All but one of the families in the neighborhood is still here. The others fled. I can't imagine being elderly with no heat, horrible winds, lightning and trees dropping left and right and not having any contact with anyone. Glad I am younger and don't mind hardship...am at work warming up. Hope those effected are hanging tough. Spring is just around the corner.

Time for a generator, and wood stove in the house, Chris! Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:18 pm

I took the wood stove out because I've already had the roof burn off the house once before. My brother came down with a generator. He lives in NH and has 5 of them. It is a Honda and runs for 3-4 hours and needs fuel. I am planning on buying a generator....never expected to ever be in this mess. Seems to me you went through the no generator thing last year until you got rescued by another forum member, Ed.

Chris

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Wow, Chris. You sure got it right on the chin and then some! We were without power for about a week when, several years back, there was a massive ice storm here in western MA. The woodstove saved us, and it's metal chimney took it, with stranded wire bracing on the roof. But with power out we had to go to a stream for water for flushing, for the animals. And, luckily, someone came by with potable water for us. Freezer stuff went outside to the back of the pickup truck --safe from bear and whatnot, and the temp. was cold so the stuff didn't melt.

Our grown kids didn't think our stories much to laugh about (we enjoyed our roughing out), so they got us a portable gen. as a gift. Have it wired in to some circuits in the house.

I've been watching this forum to see when you guys in eastern MA would dig out and get online again. Wondering how those Cubs did.

Should think those winds would have put some stripers and blues up on the beach for the taking. No? Perhaps some great whites, gasping and grinning with eyes on your ankles?

Hope all dig out, start repairs, and get life going again. -- DickB

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:44 pm

CapeCodCubs wrote:I took the wood stove out because I've already had the roof burn off the house once before. My brother came down with a generator. He lives in NH and has 5 of them. It is a Honda and runs for 3-4 hours and needs fuel. I am planning on buying a generator....never expected to ever be in this mess. Seems to me you went through the no generator thing last year until you got rescued by another forum member, Ed.

Chris

Chris, I had a generator. It chose to pick that time to malfunction. Worked fine, this weekend, with its new carb. Was nice to be rescued by Spaceghost! Ed
Circle of Safety

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:05 pm

I was sure there would be a very long wait for power... guess there is an advantage to living in the big city near a commercial area :D

Today was pretty warm and raining, OK as long it stays above freezing. They mostly have the roads under control, but storm drains are a pretty rare sight. Surely Mr Plow has got to be tired. Typical for here, the mountains are shrinking quickly at 40F.

Probably could have made a small fortune with the Lo Boy, but opted for cleaning up around the house and a bit of sightseeing. The guys that bought a plow truck after the giant winter snows of the other year hopefully got some return on their investment.

Never came close to getting stuck with the chains. It took less time to install them than it did to find them and I knew just where they were too, hiding in the deep snow.

1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

telleed
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01824

Postby telleed » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:23 pm

Yeah I bought myself a diesel generator back in 2005 and the neighbors and everyone else thought I was crazy. Since then we lost power in MA in order: Ice Storm, Halloween Snow Storm, Hurricane.We did not lose power during the blizzard though. They no longer think I am crazy, BTW.
I have a generator I made up to fit on the drawbar of the cub and runs off of the PTO. It is a nice rig but cannot compare with the diesel for fuel. Standby consumption is key. The sweet spot is 6 to 7.5 KW unit for standby: 1/4 to 1/3 gallon an hour. 0.8 to 0.9 under full load. Do not go bigger than that if you can help it. You can run a dryer or dishwasher or AC if you take turns, it is no big deal. 30 gallons in the tank is good for 5 days straight or two weeks if you power off at night.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:09 pm

I opted for a gas powered gen. Small -- 4400w -- size with ~4 gal. tank. 120 / 240v. About 100 lbs. on wheels, battery start. We park it by the tractor, and can hand wheel it anywhere. Based on in-law family's experience on LI after Hurricane Sandy black out, we chain/padlock against theft (something new, right?). And have a hookup direct to house panel via a transfer power panel so there are no cables running through holes in wall, open doors, etc. Works, but so far haven't had to use it. Prefer it that way.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Postby CapeCodCubs » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:33 pm

Power is on! Days ahead of their schedule. Wish list....generator. Someday :?
Frozen Cub..thawed out today with temps in the high40's-low50's

On the plus side...a tree right next to my parents house fell. It's a tall cherry,very old, 24" diameter. Dropped in the road.Told my dad to watch for the town crews...he did and they saved a huge length of the cherry tree and skidded it off the road for us! Sawed some other good size logs for my nephew to turn into bowls. :{_}: :{_}:

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Postby CapeCodCubs » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:49 pm

telleed wrote:Yeah I bought myself a diesel generator back in 2005 and the neighbors and everyone else thought I was crazy. Since then we lost power in MA in order: Ice Storm, Halloween Snow Storm, Hurricane.We did not lose power during the blizzard though. They no longer think I am crazy, BTW.
I have a generator I made up to fit on the drawbar of the cub and runs off of the PTO. It is a nice rig but cannot compare with the diesel for fuel. Standby consumption is key. The sweet spot is 6 to 7.5 KW unit for standby: 1/4 to 1/3 gallon an hour. 0.8 to 0.9 under full load. Do not go bigger than that if you can help it. You can run a dryer or dishwasher or AC if you take turns, it is no big deal. 30 gallons in the tank is good for 5 days straight or two weeks if you power off at night.

Post some pictures of this...would be cool to see

Teakettle
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02093
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1953 Ford Golden Jubilee
1971 IH 454
...and a few other things...

Postby Teakettle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:25 pm

While we have a blade and chains on the Cub I didn't even try to use it in the 24" of snow we got, as the drifts in our driveway were about four feet high. Last time I tried to use the Cub with snow that deep it took multiple passes and much cussing.

The process this time was, put on snowshoes so I could get to the barn, shovel out the barn door so I could get the snowblower, blow enough snow from around the truck so I could open the truck door, try to plow with the truck, realize that I'm running out of places to push the snow, run the snowblower up and down the sides of the driveway to create places to push snow into, get back into the truck, etc. Then today it was almost 50 degrees and a whole lot of the stuff melted.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:11 pm

45 degrees, here, today, and breezy. Pushed some more snow, that was softened, by the warmth. Lost a good 6 inches, to melting already. Our dog has a large red ball, that he plays with a lot. It was "missing" yesterday, and half uncovered, today. Ed
Circle of Safety

wfmdfm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02346
1947 Circle Cub #1110
1947 Circle Cub #1316
1948 Cub #43915
1966 Power King
189 two way Plow
54A Blade
144 Cultivator
26 ft Welcraft
1967 Case 530ck Backhoe

Postby wfmdfm » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Well working for the power company and the amount of time I am away during storms I see the need for a generator. I got one about 8 yrs ago after earning a bunch of OT $$ on storm duty. Since buying it I have never needed to put gas in it. Well this storm as I was working we lost power. Over the phone I talked my 21 yr old and 17 yr old daughter thru starting it and hooking it up to the appliances( for them the only need was cell phone charging). 2hrs later they got there lights back. I will drain the tank and carb and hope it sits for another 8 yrs.
Wally
PS- I got back home tonight

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am

wfmdfm wrote:Well working for the power company and the amount of time I am away during storms I see the need for a generator. I got one about 8 yrs ago after earning a bunch of OT $$ on storm duty. Since buying it I have never needed to put gas in it. Well this storm as I was working we lost power. Over the phone I talked my 21 yr old and 17 yr old daughter thru starting it and hooking it up to the appliances( for them the only need was cell phone charging). 2hrs later they got there lights back. I will drain the tank and carb and hope it sits for another 8 yrs.
Wally
PS- I got back home tonight

Wally, buy the girls car chargers for the cell phones. Cheaper than gas, for the generator. Ed
Circle of Safety

telleed
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01824

Postby telleed » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:43 pm

CapeCodCubs...

I'll see if I have a picture of my genset setup with it mounted. There was one in my old digital camera when I built it.
If not right now I have the counterweights and plow on (see video) so it will have to be in the spring :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”