This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Teach your children well…

Prayer Requests, Family Announcements, Weddings, Anniversaries, Birthdays, etc.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Teach your children well…

Postby Barnyard » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:23 pm

…as Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young would say.

Many of us have always heard, or said, “Never take candy from strangers” and other words of warning as we were growing up or as we watched our children grow. I have always hoped my daughter would retain some of the parental guidance Rosanne and I have directed her way. It seems she has.

A few members were nearby when I had a phone conversation with my daughter yesterday and may wonder what was going on. While Rosanne and I were at DSCF Melissa was taking care of things at our house. Saturday afternoon I had just loaded Harley on the trailer when I heard the last ring on my cell phone. I looked to see that Melissa had just called so I called her right back. She asked if I had time to talk and I could tell by her voice there was a problem. I told her I always had time for her and said to go ahead and talk.

She said she had just put her dog in her car to run an errand and had turned to shut the garage door when she heard our three bigger dogs carrying on. When she turned to see what had set them off she saw a van flying up the drive and stop behind my Suburban. The guy opened the door and asked if she could help him. Using the caution she had learned early in life she stayed back and asked what the guy needed. He said he was handicapped and had dropped his cell phone and needed help getting it. Melissa asked where the phone was and the guy said it on his van floor. She asked where on the floor and he said to come to his door and reach down between his legs and she would be able to get it.

Melissa said she was not comfortable doing that and would not do it. The guy told her to come closer and she would be able to see his wheel chair in the back. She said she was not coming any closer and again said she was not comfortable with the situation. The guy then asked if there was a male present that could do it. Melissa, remembering that we always taught her to never lie (bad move at this point), said there was no one else at the house. The guy then asked her again to help him. She again refused and kept her distance. The driver then said a few choice words, slammed his door and sped away.

At that point she was afraid to leave the house. I told her to call the sheriff’s office, tell the dispatcher exactly what happened and they would send a car out. She said she didn’t know what kind of van it was and didn’t get a plate number. She only knew it was red and the guy looked like Santa Clause. I told her that was enough information to give them since I doubted we had very many Santa look-a-likes with vans in our area. She called me back within fifteen minutes and said the deputy was there in no time. He said he would watch for vans and passed the info on to the rest of the department.

I am left to wonder about this. Whether the man truly had a physical condition or not, I know she did the right thing in refusing to help. It was a cell phone (supposedly) and not a dire life threatening emergency for the man. It would be hard to miss the fire department across from our house. Why not go there instead of approaching a young woman who appeared to be alone? People turn up missing everyday and are never heard from again. I’m glad my daughter used common sense and gave herself room to flee if she had to. If the guy would have chased her she would have just hopped the fence so the guy could be dog food. Dozer just looks like a little weakling, Bandit has a pretty good bite and many people know to never trust that twinkle in Flash's pretty blue eye's.

I also think that an innocent fib about any male presence would have been appropriate in this situation and told her never let others know you are alone.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tomcat
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71836
Tractors Owned: 49 cub buttercup

Re: Teach your children well…

Postby tomcat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:52 pm

glad she done the right thing. there are some nuts in this world that don't need to be here. :jeep: tom

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47201
Tractors Owned: 105 & 127 cadet (sacrificed for a 4wd project)

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
Pennington 3 spindle deck
LF-194 plow

Postby sdurnal » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:05 pm

Glad she's unharmed.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:36 pm

Sounds like an endorsement of the 2nd Amendment to me. Thank the lord for the dogs.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:16 am

I was standing there when Bill got the call. I couldn't beleive what I was hearing. Bill gave me that look & I knew there wasn't a thing he could do but talk to her. When Bill got off the phone he was lost for words. It's hard to say the right things when something like this happen, but just to stay close & help with what ever anyone needs.
Be SAFE
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:55 am

Glad she did the right thing.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:10 am

That's scary just thinking about it. I have 2 daughters and I'm always worried about the creeps out there. :( :evil:

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi Bill,
Thank goodness your daughter listened and learned well. There are bad people out there who take advantage of good manners and good nature. any fib is justified when it comes to protecting ones safety!!. I think you should be proud of your daughters good sense and proud of your own good advice to your kin.
Bernard (Donegal Cub) :D

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Glad she used her good sense (and training) and is OK.
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:59 pm

Bill:

I really understand your feelings and fears. Em and I live about 25kms from a max security prison and a work farm for medium security. The street we live on is actually a highway -- like yours and it is one of the favourite routes that escapees seem to prefer. In a community that is very safe we do not leave our doors unlocked strictly because one never knows if/when another inmate will walk away from Westmoreland.

You did the right thing advising Melissa as you did. Better safe than sorry. Also if the guy was legit, he would understand how his actions would provoke the reaction it got once he thought about it. Thankfully you taught her well. We have taught all of our 5 kids - our son and our daughters the very same lessons. One hopes that they will never have to use that knowledge but when they do, thankfully they have it.

You both did well raising her up and that is evident by her good sense.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:11 am

Whew, that was a close call. Obviously "Santa" was up to no good, handicapped or not, would not have ask for help in that fashion. Your right about the fire house for help. You have taught her well. Proud she used her head and not her emotions!!!
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Return to “Sharing with Friends and Family”