This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throttle/Governor limited range??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
RickSRF
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21911

Throttle/Governor limited range??

Postby RickSRF » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Hey Folks,

I am pretty new to the site having bought a '68 Cub a few months back. It runs well but the throttle only goes slightly more than half way back before stopping or possibly binding. If you pull it farther it springs back. I have had the tank off to do other repairs (head gasket, radiator) and could not see anything physically binding up the linkage. So I wonder if I am losing the top end of the range or bottom. This being my first Cub I have no basis for comparison. It mows ok (I think) but I am getting ready to put it work plowing 3 acres for veg production...ground that hasn't been worked in 30 or more years too. Any suggestions or experience with this would be a great help. BTW, don't know if it could factor in but I put a zenith carb (larger) where there was an IH when I got it.

Thanks,

Rick

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Throttle/Governor limited range??

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:35 pm

How does the governor spring look? I just changed one down in Florida for the same reasons as you describe. When the throttle was set all the way forward, the top round of the spring had a bigger gap than the rest of the coils. It had become weak and did not have enough tension to force the governor weights back and allow the carb to open up.

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:51 pm

You also mentioned switching over the carburetor type, you might check the governor to carburetor adjustment mentioned here on Rudi's manual server:

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... -02-18.jpg
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... -02-19.jpg
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... -02-20.jpg
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... -02-21.jpg

The schematic also shows the spring Raymond is talking about.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:10 pm

You need to check the rpm at full throttle. 'As an experiment I put a governor from a 154 on my cub a few years ago. Due to the lighter weights, etc. it went from idle to full speed at a little over half throttle travel. That is ok if all you do is ride around or mow, but if you do other things that do not require full throttle, it is sometimes hard to pick the right RPM, so I put the original back when I was done. If you are not getting full RPM, check the RPM limit adjustment that is at the top front of the governor assembly. It may be adjusted down too far.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

RickSRF
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RickSRF » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. Looks like rain all day Saturday around here so I guess I will have time to put the advice to work. I will let y'all know if/when I get it figured out. Thanks again

Rick

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:47 pm

Loosen (not remove) the carburetor from the manifold and check if the throttle plate contacts the gasket or manifold.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

RickSRF
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RickSRF » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:29 pm

Thanks again to all. I adjusted the linkage arm from Governor to carb nearly an inch. It sure made a difference. I did not have full throttle range at all before. MUCH higher RPM range and the increase in speed and power is remarkable. It did not effect the low end but it sure does seem high at idle (it did before as well). I unhooked the governor link arm to be sure the throttle is backing all the way off and no difference. I adjusted the idle screw down till it seemed to miss and then back up till smooth. Wish I had a tach. Again, this is my first Cub and the only one I have ever heard run so I don't have much of a comparison.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:52 am

This might solve your lack of a tach problem ... :wink:

IH / Farmall Cub / Cub Loboy Tachometer - Replacement New

You will need the drive cable and the mounting brackets -

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:36 pm

RickSRF wrote: Wish I had a tach

Check your local auto parts store (O'Reilly, Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.) I picked up a dwell/tach meter for about $15. You just have to remember to reverse the leads to allow for the positive earth.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Return to “Farmall Cub”