This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

new carb time I think

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
granps55
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66701

new carb time I think

Postby granps55 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:13 pm

As the title says, I think it's time for a new carb. I have rebuilt it best I can. I can't get any response when I adjust the air idle screw. The flange of course is slightly warped and I have gone through the fuel system. I started her up yesterday to push 5 inches of snow, She took forever to warm up and stay running without any choke. She will run at any throttle position but runs best at half throttle, anywhere else and she spits and sputters. I have adjusted the governor and checked the timing, new plugs, points, condenser, cap, rotor and wires. We have another expected 6-12 inches coming tomorrow and garden season right around the corner. Anyone got any ideas or the best place to order a new carb? Yes it was a tractor supply kit, and I have new sediment bowl and fuel line. I also installed a brass screen in the tank.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: new carb time I think

Postby Barnyard » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:17 pm

A slightly warped flange could be the whole problem. How is the metering jet? A little crud could have gotten in there. Take it off and run a thin copper wire through it and blow it out. It takes five minutes and is worth a try.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

granps55
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby granps55 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:36 pm

Barnyard, I have done the copper wire more times then I care to think. I have pulled the carb apart just as many times. I know they are not cheap but the wife has given me the green light to buy one. More then anything I am looking for the best place to buy one. Also, do I stay with the 3/4 updraft or switch over to the zenith?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:40 pm

I wouldn't buy a new carburetor. There are several very competent folks on this board who rebuild carburetors. Board names, Cecil and Boss Hog and probably others. Check the For sale/wanted section of this site.

Since you want to buy a carburetor. Contact one or more of the carburetor rebuilders associated with this site. They may have an exchange system.

If you have an IH carburetor - stick with it.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Arthur Luke
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 74022
Tractors Owned: 8 F Cubs, 7 Lo-Boys, 2 # LoBoys, 1 CC, 1 H, 1 other

Postby Arthur Luke » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:12 pm

I agree with Eugene about sticking with your IH carb. If you can stand to wait until the weekend of April 20th, bring it to the N.E. Oklahoma Cubfest in Dewey and I bet we can help you out.
Have a good day, Art Image
Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Arthur Luke wrote:I agree with Eugene about sticking with your IH carb. If you can stand to wait until the weekend of April 20th, bring it to the N.E. Oklahoma Cubfest in Dewey and I bet we can help you out.

Gramps. Art has the best idea of all if you can hold off a couple months. I would bet yours is very savable and it'll save you about $250.00.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:45 pm

Save your money. I have been down the same road early in my Cub experience. A new carb solved my problem and lightened my wallet considerably. Saved the original IH carb and got one of the carb gurus to rebuild it and it worked like a champ for a whole lot less. A very, very expensive lesson.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

granps55
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby granps55 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:00 pm

Ok guys, I have talked to my wife, but we aren't sure we can make it down there and we need her runnin for the gardens. I am willing to try rebuilding the carb again but I want a better kit. I have searched around a bit, but am gonna just ask, Where do I buy the best kit?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:05 pm

Steiner's. This is their complete kit, but you may not need everything shown. http://www.steinertractor.com/IHS825-fa ... 0B10B5ABB6

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Try this one from Steiner, very complete. http://www.steinertractor.com/IHS825-fa ... 0B10B5ABB6
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Arthur Luke
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 74022
Tractors Owned: 8 F Cubs, 7 Lo-Boys, 2 # LoBoys, 1 CC, 1 H, 1 other

Postby Arthur Luke » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Have a good day, Art Image
Circle of Safety

phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"

Postby phildidit » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:24 pm

If the flange is warped at the manifold, you might could file it smooth. and try to take out some of the gap. There are also carb top straightening jigs out there if you could find someones to borrow or you could make your own.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:29 pm

Just to add to what has been said, the Steiner kit is great, but I would get a bowl gasket from Case/IH, it is a better gasket, the one in the Steiner kit is not too good in my opinion
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

granps55
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby granps55 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:34 am

OK guys thanks, I am ordering a jig from John on here and a rebuild kits from Steiner as well as the IH gasket. My boys and I got bored around midnight and fired her up to push some snow. She ran slightly ok after she warmed up, a lot of spittin and sputterin until I found the sweet spot in the throttle. If I advance to far she looses a lot and to slow she looses. I am going to go ahead and check the main and fuel flow after bit, but I was reading about governor adjustment and I haven't been doing that right. I have to fix the frame of my truck this morning then work on the cub, plenty more snow fell throughout the night that needs pushed :{_}:

granps55
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby granps55 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Got my frame fixed, then went to work on the cub, just adjusting the governor really helped a bunch, still gonna work on the carb. There is no differance when I adjust the air/fuel mixture screw, will have to address that one.

Return to “Farmall Cub”