This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

parts estimate

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
southernthunder
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28430
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub (Family Bought New)
1950 Cub
1950 TO-20

parts estimate

Postby southernthunder » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:01 pm

I finally got a little money to spend on my grandfathers old cub so I went out and bought another 50 model running tractor for parts. I intend to use the best of the 2 and sooner or later have a complete restoration. I got the parts tractor started up and running but found the pinion bearing completely shot so I decided that's the spot to continue my restoration. I want to rebuild everything from the tranny back. My question is has anyone done this lately or have any idea about the price of all new bearings and seals for the tranny, rear end, and final drives? Just making sure I can do it all at 1 time before tearing into it. thanks, mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: parts estimate

Postby Barnyard » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:07 pm

The best thing to do is go to TM's web site and get the prices for everything you need. What is wrong with your grandfathers Cub that made you decide to rebuild the parts Cub?
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

southernthunder
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Cub
1950 TO-20

Postby southernthunder » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:28 pm

I am actually going to use the parts tractor for parts but in the end I will use more of it than the original. It has a good rebuilt engine and a wore out everything else, but I do intend to use all the parts partially possible off the family tractor.

southernthunder
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Cub
1950 TO-20

Postby southernthunder » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:42 pm

ok, if I have most stuff it looks like about $750 or so. The only thing is a lot of TM's IH part numbers for bearings and such are not the same part numbers I have found in the parts book. Does this matter? do I ned to disassemble all of my bearings to get numbers and sizes off them before ordering anything? thanks again

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:58 pm

The original IH parts (by number) are for the most part no longer available. What TM has done is to match up new seals, bearings, etc. to match the originals. If you want to, you can take a seal or bearing from your tractor to a local auto parts store and have them cross reference to what is now available. TM has already done that for you. Their service is excellent and you be assured that if you order what you need, you will get it and it will fit.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am

It is by far easier to get all the parts from TM. You can usually cross reference the IH numbers to Timken, etc. But in the end you will not save much (if anything) over ordering from another source. You will still need to go to a dealer/TM for the gaskets and welsh plugs.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/tr/2791fp.htm

BTW I didn't keep track of my latest projects $$ but a few years ago it was $600. Prices have gone up, some a lot and $750 sounds right. You will never need to touch it again.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:06 am

I agree it's easiest to go with TM's parts - and they are there for us when we need them - very grateful for that.

For those of us with limited budgets, we have to find a workaround that is less costly. I went through the transmission on my parts cub and all in spent a less than $200 on gear set, bearings, and gaskets. I have a serviceable pinion bearing left over from that and all the timken cross reference numbers for the others if you want to pm me....

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:45 am

I have had excellent luck finding surplus bearings on eBay if you know the numbers and have the time to be patient. Quality Timken, etc. from closeouts, not junk. I would not buy any bearings until I inspected them. Seals can be very cheap form Rock Auto. You are trading your time for convenience.

southernthunder
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Cub
1950 TO-20

Postby southernthunder » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:24 pm

I have bought several automotive parts from rock auto but how do you find the right ones? I suppose by using the actual seal number instead of the ih number? I found 2 of tranny bearings at motion industries but didn't have any from the rear diff or final drive with me for them to measure. They said they only went by measurement and had no way to cross the timken or hyatt numbers I had with me. I think I will get all my old bearings and seals together and try there, and then maybe the local carquest or napa to cross some of the other stuff. I know TM has everything so if I have trouble finding it locally, atleast I can order it.......Buzzard Wing--- what are the welsh plugs you were talking about above? Is that the beveled washer thats beside 1 of the seals? Sorry for the iggnorance but I have 2 of these tore apart but this will be the first I have put back together and I want to make sure each parts is perfect as I get it complete. Thanks again guys for all the advice.

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:26 pm

Just rebuilt my trans for my Loboy, found a good used trans from a Cadet for $15.00 and all the gears and bearings was like new all it cost me was for seals, very inexpensive.
Jim Turner

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:28 pm

If you are not familiar with this site, there is a lot of helpful cross reference information here: http://www.atis.net/CubFAQ/cub_faq.html#q7

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Save a lot of money and buy the one Boss HOG has listed as good in the for sale section. If he says it is good, you wont go wrong.
Dale

southernthunder
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Cub
1950 TO-20

Postby southernthunder » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:37 pm

Not really interested in buying another one right now dale. The one I bought a couple of weeks ago seems to be in good co. ndition, no major leaks or anything. For some reason the pinion bearing is completly shot. My goal is to restore the my 1st cub that my grandfather bought new in 50. I know I will have alot more money tied up in this old cub than I could dream of getting out of it but the value to me will be considerly more. I hate to part out this good tractor, but my parts list was so extensive to repair the first one it was my smartest option. I give $675 for it, took it home and clean the points, and the engine fired right up and runs as good as my rebuilt engine.does.I probally have some decent bearing that may last a long time but my plan is to use all new bearings and seals and not have to ever do it again,,, to this one anyway .

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:02 pm

Besides the sources Bob mentioned, Amazon is also a decent source for seals and bearings. I would stick with quality manufacturers.

One time I failed to get them from TM for the rear axle and ordered them from NAPA, instead of Timken they were from Japan (usually good) but two with the same part number were from different manufacturers, one being apparently less well made. And they were MORE money that the Timken's from TM. I messed up the front main seal on a Cub, so I ordered it from NAPA, similar price but only one lip where the National from TM had 2. There are times where you don't get what you could, but still pay for it. :roll:

For that ATIS cross, they list a double sealed bearing for the front transmission, SKF 60052RS. Can't hurt to use a sealed bearing, but original bearing has a shield on one side (6005 Z) and there is a seal and a drip hole for the lube. Also it should have a dash, '6005-2RS' (for 2 rubber seals). I did put a sealed bearing in the PTO, SKF 6205-2RS as that is not lubed by the oil in the tranny.

Not positive I used the correct term (welsh plug) but the shifter rods and 1st/reverse idler have plugs on the front of the tranny case 13 and 15 here:
http://www.farmallcub.info/tc37f_db/tc3 ... 007-06.jpg

The only part on a Cub I almost gave up on (actually had given up on) I was able to get from http://www.locateballbearings.com/ It was the roller bearing on a right angle pulley, there are 300 somewhere in the USA!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

southernthunder
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Cub
1950 TO-20

Postby southernthunder » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:41 pm

ok, thanks for clearing that up on the plugs. The front trans bearing was one I was able to get from motion industries for around $10 but it is sealed on both sides. I planned on removing the seal from one side for lubing purpose. It does not have the hole in it but since I will not be using the tractor for anything but parades and shows I think it should be ok.

Return to “Farmall Cub”