Differential Bearing Retainer

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Differential Bearing Retainer

Postby DuaneFriend » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:05 am

I put in a new differential seal tonight. I was going to torque the retainer bolts b/c I had loosened them. The bolts just kept tightening and I had the wrench set for 45 lbs.
I felt one bolt go and was able to get it back out. Is there anything special about the bolts? Grade 5? Maybe I need to get a smaller torque wrench.
DuaneFriend

Zip Code: 98953
Tractors Owned: 1953 Farmall Cub

Re: Differential Bearing Retainer

Postby bob in CT » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:44 am

Grade 8 ONLY at 45 ft-lbs. I had to double check that spec. Have you used this wrench before? What type is it?
bob in CT
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Differential Bearing Retainer

Postby ntrenn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:12 am

Not the first person here recently that's stripped bolts. IH had torque specs that were, in my opinion, a little on the aggressive side. 45 ft-lbs on a 3/8 bolt is really pushing the limits. I back them down to the GM standard for a 3/8 grade 8 bolt and torque them at 40 ft-lbs. The little bit of clamp that you lose won't hurt anything but the time you save repairing threads is worth it.

As far as the original question - if you are buying replacement bolts - grade 8 is the way to go.
Yes - would be a good idea to get a reference check on your torque wrench - you may just be reading the vernier incorrectly and have the wrench at 55 instead of 45.....
ntrenn
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Return to Farmall Cub