This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

magneto

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cub-oregon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97702
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub - Manual lift
1948 Farmall Cub - Hydraulic
1948 Ford 8N

magneto

Postby cub-oregon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:36 pm

I recently purchased two 1948 cubs, one manual and one hydraulic. They came as a package deal. The manual has been sitting for years and is a parts tractor although it is all there and should be restorable. The other is in the garage and was a runner last year. I have two magnetos, neither of which worked. I found a broken wire from the coil to the post, repaired it and it sparks great. After some carb issues, the tractor started right up and ran great. I hooked up the kill switch as it was when I got it, to the magneto post. While test driving the tractor, I used the kill switch to stop the engine. It worked but wires started smoking behind the dash. I unhooked the battery to stop the meltdown. I also unhooked the kill switch from the mag post. The tractor no longer runs and the mag no longer produces a spark.

What happened here?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: magneto

Postby Cecil » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:51 pm

it sounds like the coil is fried. Did this tractor originally have[a mag. Sure sounds like a short in the wiring that caused the smoke.

cub-oregon
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 Ford 8N

Postby cub-oregon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:02 pm

Both tractors came with magnetos. Is there a way to test the coil with an ohm meter? From everything I have seen, the magneto is independent of all the wiring with the exception of the kill switch and that connection is just supposed to ground out the magneto. I believe due to an incorrect connection, power went into the magneto the wrong way. I am not good at electrical but the only things I see inside the magneto is the condenser, the points and the coil. Could I have ruined the coil or could the condenser be damaged?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:05 pm

First off, G'day and congrats :applause: on acquiring your very 1st new to you Cub and joining the MCC at the same time :big smile:

We have a number of members here who are super at electrics and mags. They will be along to help shortly. And I see one of the masters has already replied... :D :{_}: What I can do is what I do best and that is the Welcome Wagon and pointing to our resources of which there are legion.

Below is a wiring schematic for a magneto equipped Cub with Generator, Cut-out, Lights, Starter and a Battery.

Image Image

As you can see in the parts breakdown above, the coil is contained inside the square cover.

McCormick Farmall Cub Operator's Manual 5-1-49 will work nicely for the '48's, GSS-1012 Electrical Equipment - for the Magneto trouble shooting and of course this one which is all you wanted to know about Magnetos - GSS-5035 Service Manual Magnetos.

Grab a coffee, a comfy chair and spend some time reading the links above and the ones below:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:34 am

when you push the switch in on a mag it puts a ground in the circuit shutting the spark down from it. I think that there is a short in the wiring between the wire going to the mag and a wire carrying voltage. Find the short before going much further. I have never been able to check the coil with a volt meter. You can however use an external coil. A mag coil can be found on ebay for about 60 dollars.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:43 am

Obviously, you'll need to check out the wiring to see what the smoking was all about, but if it has been miswired and voltage was applied to the mag kill stud it may have overheated the return spring on your points. That's a dead short in this case. I encountered that twice in one day! At first, I couldn't figure out what could do that to the points. I replaced the points and handed the mag back to the owner. He installed it and when checked it had no spark, again. When I pulled it back apart and found the same problem again, I went out to the tractor for a look. Sure enough, it had been wired for an external coil. I told him not to hook up the kill wire, it started right up this time. I don't think your coil would be damaged from this.

olebluegrassboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42378
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub, 55 Farmall 100, 35 10-20 mc cormick

Postby olebluegrassboy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:19 am

Someone could have put the wrong kill switch on it. You need a single wire switch.
Dale
"It's better to regret the things you've done than the things you didn't do."
Still can't help to think "Wish I hadn't of done that!"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:35 am

Was checking my :eBay: searches and came across an original '48 Owner's Manual

International McCormick Farmall Cub Tractor Operators Manual #1004120R2 48. Pretty reasonable and it is in good shape. Would be a good investment. Would recommend also that you acquire a Parts Catalog and some of the individual service manuals or the GSS-1411 which is the combined service manual.

Oh yeah and this is the kill switch that you need that is stocked by one of our sponsors - TM Tractor - magneto ignition switch, 54207DB

This is the style available on :eBay: 54207DB Farmall Ignition Switch Push Pull Cub. This one has a better price - Magneto switch for Farmall Cub
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:56 am

cub-oregon wrote:I unhooked the battery to stop the meltdown. I also unhooked the kill switch from the mag post.
Battery connected, kill switch wire disconnected at magneto. Multimeter, voltage setting, test for voltage between end of kill switch wire and ground.

If you find voltage in one of the switch positions - wrong switch for magneto and tractor wired for battery powered ignition system.

Agree with Gary, most likely a short caused the magneto points to fault.
I have an excuse. CRS.

cub-oregon
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 Ford 8N

Postby cub-oregon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks to everyone for help on this issue. It was indeed the points spring as mentioned by Gary Dotson. Once I fixed that problem, the tractor started right up. I will continue to work on the electrical wiring for the lights, ameter and generator. The schematic is very useful although my tractor is negative ground, not positive. I still have one dead magneto that belongs to my other tractor. I will keep at it.

I have been struggling with this issue for 2 weeks taking stabs in the dark.. Thanks to this great resource and the help of people who know about cubs, I was successful. Thanks again for the help. We will talk some more.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:43 am

I'm glad I was able to help you on this! It seems kinda odd that it will kill the spring, rather than frying the contacts, but that's what it seems to do.

cub-oregon
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 Ford 8N

Postby cub-oregon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:21 pm

One magneto was still not working. To test the coil, I put in the coil from the working magneto into the one that did not work. To my surprise, it worked. So it was a bad coil in the second magneto that kept it from working. I purchased a new coil on e-bay and received it yesterday. It has now been installed and the magneto ready for installation. I will perform the final test this weekend to see if I can get my second cub to run. The carb has been rebuilt and new plug wires are ready to go. I am hopeful that this cub that has been sitting in a field for years will come back to life.

lombard
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lombard » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:55 am

WELCOME CUB-OREGON

YOU CAN GET A MOMENTARY TOGGLE SWITCH AT A AUTO-PARTS STORE
FOR 2 (+/-) BUCKS AND THAT WILL WORK FOR THE KILL SWITCH-----
( GROUND ONE SIDE AND MAG. WIRE ON OTHER SIDE )---- NO HOT WIRES------

GOOD LUCK
LOMBARD-----SC----

Return to “Farmall Cub”