This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

removing pulley from C3 spindles

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

removing pulley from C3 spindles

Postby ad356 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:38 pm

how do i remove these pullies. i am trying to remove the spindles so i can sandblast and paint the deck. i already broke 1 pulley and i dont want to break the other 2. also are these still dealer available parts or do i have to find a used pulley? it's an outer pulley that i broke

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: removing pulley from C3 spindles

Postby Barnyard » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:44 pm

If you have the taperd pulley this is how to do it. This is a pto pulley but it would be the same for many mower pullies.

If you have a Woods mower look on line for a Woods dealer near you for a new pully.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:55 pm

thanks. i do not have a woods, its a IH/danco C3 60" mower. does case/ ih stil have these pullies do i have to find a good used one??

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:58 pm

ad356 wrote:i do not have a woods, its a IH/danco C3 60" mower.

I guess if I had paid attention to the subjet title I would have known that. :oops: I don't know if those are still available or not, but somebody will fill us in shortly.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Hard to find. Be careful. The split hubs get backed off by removing the 1/4-20 bolts and moving them to the next set of holes. When they bottom out, they lift the inner hub. In theory. The outer pulley (sheave) hubs are unique to the C-3 and they are obsolete. The center hub I was able to buy from McMaster Carr.
The outer sheaves (pulley) are available NOS but at $108!

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:19 am

Hamilton Bob, one of our sponsors, has the pulley. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:20 am

there is some weird cob job stuff going on with them. the one pulley, someone actually has the bolts going through the bottom of the pulley. why this is, i have no idea. i bought another pulley to replace the busted pulley, lol, i just looked and the ebay seller was Hamilton bob, what a coincidence, thanks for making it available and at a good price. do you make these new? are they aftermarket reproductions or is it just an original part that has been sandblasted? now i had a question, since these things arent even installed right, what is it going to take to remove them? without damaging the other two pullie? i dont really want to replace all 3. can i use a harmonic ballence puller or can i use really long 1/4-20 bolts that go all the way though the pulley and pushes directly on the spindle forcing them off?

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:19 am

You are mistaken if you assume they are installed incorrectly.

if you use a harmonic balancer puller you will break every part. It is a sheave and hub design. Tapered split hub pulls up into the sheave, also tapered, to lock it in place at the height you choose. The hub is piulled up into the sheave by 1/4-20 bolts. There are complementary holes in the sheave that the bolts get threaded into to put pressure on the hub and gently push it out of the sheave. Suggest you google it to find diagrams and instructions

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:38 am

This pdf will give you an idea of the basics on how to work with Browning style sheaves. http://www.continentalfan.com/docs/IFD%20General%20I&M.pdf

There is a parts breakdown in RC1 Rotary Cutters. The pdf is available in (new) manuals above and look for the C-3 section in bookmarks. There is also a C-3 operators manual in the Cub attachments section that has very specific instructions on setting up the pulleys. I suggest you read it before doing any more work.

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:17 pm

i got the other outer pulley removed, i was able to get a large chisel in between the hub and the pulley, and i drove them apart. once i got the pulley off of the hub removing the center hub was fairly easy.. now im trying to remove the center pulley. the problem i am having is that i already broke 2 bolts bolts off in that 2nd set of holes. the problem with a 1/4 fastener is that it will only take so much abuse. they were brand new unused grade 8 bolts. i put them in the other holes, but i already snapped two of them. i tried heating with a hand held torch and that didnt do much either. i must say i'm not a big fan of this setup. brittle cast iron pulley and small 1/4 bolts to remove the pulley from the hub. they are not easy to take apart. i have owned a couple IH cub cadets and those pulleys come off easy.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:01 pm

ad356 wrote:i got the other outer pulley removed, i was able to get a large chisel in between the hub and the pulley, and i drove them apart. once i got the pulley off of the hub removing the center hub was fairly easy.. now im trying to remove the center pulley. the problem i am having is that i already broke 2 bolts bolts off in that 2nd set of holes. the problem with a 1/4 fastener is that it will only take so much abuse. they were brand new unused grade 8 bolts. i put them in the other holes, but i already snapped two of them. i tried heating with a hand held torch and that didnt do much either. i must say i'm not a big fan of this setup. brittle cast iron pulley and small 1/4 bolts to remove the pulley from the hub. they are not easy to take apart. i have owned a couple IH cub cadets and those pulleys come off easy.

Remember, these pulleys probably haven't moved,in 50 years. If the pulley is soaked with penetrating oil, and heated, it probably will come off.. These things can take some time and frustration, to get apart. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:45 pm

These can be horribly difficult to remove, as you have found.
You need some judicious use of hammer and drift to help you out too.
Grade 8's or even 9's are the first place to start, then you will need to grease/oil the landing point of the screw to reduce friction and lastly, load them up and whack them with either a spreader drift (like the chisel you used) or vertically catching the gap between the 2 parts. On the center pulley, you need to get down past the hub and get the whack delivered to the pulley - think pipe ground to fit between the two parts. Take your time and don't get too aggressive with the hammer. Unload them(loosen bolts) then reload and repeat the whacks. Those vibrations tend to help shake the sheave loose. It can take 100 whacks or more to get them to moving. I wailed on a PTO pulley, which is the same patent, with a 2 lb hand sledge and drift right at the center of the hub. I hit it so hard I was sure it would break, but my IH tech assured me that was what it would take and after about 15 minutes it almost fell off.

When you put it back together, don't just pull the bolts down and go. It takes about 10 rounds of torque and retorque back and forth on the bolts to get everything to seat and get tight. I did about 4 rounds, thought it had stopped moving, and in about 30 seconds of mowing, the pulley started walking off the shaft.

I've never tried heat on those before, but you may try the blue wrench on it.....the pulley is cast, so you shouldn't have an issue drawing any HT out of the part.

64/67lo-boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:14 pm

If your hub is like mine, it has a set screw that bites down on to the shaft. You use an allen wrench to loosen it.

IMGP0882.JPG
IMGP0882.JPG (94.61 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
Pete from Virginia Beach

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:42 pm

I have never seen a tapered hub with a set screw in the side. I would never have thought to check for a set screw. I wonder if this is a unique owner modification or whether it is one done by a manufacturer.

Has anyone successfully used a bearing separator on a stubborn tapered hub?

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:48 pm

That locks onto the woodruff key

Return to “Farmall Cub”