This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Back Yard Chicken\Duck Coop - Turned Fox Hunt!

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77355
eBay ID: czechiii
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub SN 54XXX (Captain Crunch)
47 Farmall A (Patches)
Circle of Safety: Y

Back Yard Chicken\Duck Coop - Turned Fox Hunt!

Postby CPIII » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:47 am

I stopped by TSC on my way home on my wife's birthday....they had just got their shipment of chicks and ducks.......ended up getting her 3 Rhode Island Red pullets, 3 bard rock straight run and 2 ducks. What a birthday present right? (Takes a very special girl to appreciate this gift I guess....just a hint though...I also bought her a dozen roses...just in case.). She was tickled when I brought them home......she immediately posted pics of her holding the chicks and ducks on Facebook. I then thought that i just didn't make my wife happy I created a bit of work for myself.....so I got busy trying to find a good size chicken coop for my newly purchased flock. I found a plan that I liked on the TSC website ....so I started building...changed a few things but here are a few pictures. The size is 4ft X 5ft (Was supposed to be 4X6 but that deal with "measure twice cut once"....I measured once...Crap!). But I think it actually is of good proportions for the amount of space I have.

Long side.JPG
Long side.JPG (200.86 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

Side.JPG
Side.JPG (55.31 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

Side 2.JPG
Side 2.JPG (166.81 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

Vents.JPG
Vents.JPG (147.94 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

First Tenants!! - Though still have a bit of work left...
facebook_2027325880.jpg
facebook_2027325880.jpg (107.82 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
Last edited by CPIII on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Patek III
Some days - Chicken.......Some days - Feathers
Words to live by....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Re: Back Yard Chicken\Duck Coop

Postby Stanton » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:19 am

Neat! Do the 4x4 posts go into the ground? Or is the coop anchored in any way? Like the way you built it. :D
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks for the comment!
I wasn't set on where to put it so they are not set into the ground. I have a bunch of old round concrete stepping stones (you can see one of them in the second picture from the top)...just going to set it on four of those. don't think I will have to anchor it but it wouldn't be hard to do after I decide where it should stay.
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:24 pm

I would enclose the bottom with wire, put it on skids, make a door and you've a neat chicken tractor. Something to pull around with the cub! That's what I do with mine. Neat coop!
Thomas

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Charles:

Very nice.. very nice indeed. And I see there is the port for the run so they can get out in the air and scratch. Assume that there will be a fenced portion for them to run? That is something Em and I miss is our birds. Having fresh eggs was great .. Fresh roast duck was nice too :D

That is the kind of gift any farm girl would love to have - I know my bride would love some more of em :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:25 am

tmays,
I thought of making it mobile at first but I have decided to build it within the dog kennel area. The kennel actually has two different parts....one that is about 15 X 30 and another part that is 35 X 30 both of these are enclosed by a 5 ft chain link fence. I decided to use the 35 X 30 fenced area. Thought it would work well there....but that is still to be seen.

Rudi,
Yes it has a "Chicken Door" I plan to have is open and close automatically in the morning and evening....(still have that to do)....the chicks are still too small to let free range right now as I think they would be able to fits through the chain link still. So it will be another 4 weeks or so before the door opens for the first time.
And yes the fenced in area is about 35 X 30 and it has a 5 ft chain link fence.

We have really enjoyed watching the ducks and chicks grow......can't wait till the first eggs!

Yes a great gift for a farm girl....but mine is a city girl through and through......but trying my best to fix that ....have been sort of successful so far!

Thanks for the comments!

A few more pics:

You can see the kennel fence in this google maps photo:
Kennel.JPG
Kennel.JPG (21.23 KiB) Viewed 1957 times

The ducks have been kicked out of the coop and are now in the fenced area with a new duck pond ($9 duck pond from Wal Mart)
Duck Pond.JPG
Duck Pond.JPG (75.77 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:48 pm

Them duck eggs are great and the richness of free range chicken yolks can't be beat.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:57 am

Well the ducks are now swimming in the big duck pond in the sky.......I woke up this morning just in time to see the biggest fox I have ever seen clearing the 5 ft chain link fence into the kennel. I ran out the door and scared him away .....but I was too late. One duck was dead in the middle of the kennel and the other was gone. I assume that the fox had killed them earlier and drug one off and ate it and I caught him coming back for the other duck. I thought for sure they would be safe....makes me feel like absolute crap that I let this happen to them.

The fox has made it to the top of my most wanted list.....picking up a trap on my way home today.
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:53 pm

They were cute little guys. Sorry to hear about them. Unfortunate things happen sometimes. Reminds me of a line from the Paul Harvey speech "So God Made a Farmer" that was turned into a Super Bowl commercial for Chrysler.

God said, "I need somebody willing to sit up all night with a newborn colt. And watch it die. Then dry his eyes and say, 'Maybe next year.'

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:05 am

Yep.....that speech really did hit home with me the first time I heard it....reminded me so much of my dad & grandfather and their view of the world. Really sad thing is that we had just decided on names for the ducks the night before this happened...... Phil & Miss Kay (Duck Dynasty.....since this was our little duck dynasty :D )
I bought a live trap .......haven't done much trapping but going by what is on the web I am letting the trap sit outside for a few days then I will spray it with a scent kill. Then I am going to take my smaller live trap and put a chicken or two in it and place them in front of the big live trap. Then I plan on camouflaging both traps with an old tarp and leaves and branches. I hope to trap him this weekend .....will let you guys know how it goes.

If anyone has any tips on trapping a fox...please let me know.

Wish I had a pair of night vision goggles!
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:53 am

CPIII wrote:
If anyone has any tips on trapping a fox...please let me know.

Wish I had a pair of night vision goggles!

So does Carl, the lion, on the Geico commercial. :lol: :lol:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:32 pm

CPIII wrote:........... Then I am going to take my smaller live trap and put a chicken or two in it and place them in front of the big live trap. ..........
Unless your plan is to have poor little "Bait" and "Second Course" meet up with Phil & Miss Kay rather quickly, I would come up with a plan B. I just don't believe there's enough protection there for them. A leg, wing, or head through the wire makes a nice fox handle. If a fox were after me, I would be trying to get away through the wire. That fox can get from one side of the cage to the other faster than the little chicks, and he might just roll it around some to.

I know this has nothing to do with your situation.........Local Farm store has chicks in cages with signs over them identifying breed. I always imagine the little chicks asking each other from cage to cage "What breed are you?" and each one looking up and reading the sign over their cage and the replies going something like "I'm a Rhode Island Red", "I'm a Plymouth Rock", "I'm a Sussex", "I'm a Pan Fry Special" :shock:

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:15 am

The small trap has about 1/2 inch hardware cloth and also I plan to make sure that the only way to get somewhat close to the small trap would be from the opening of the large trap.....so the fox won't even be able to get to the small trap. At least that's the plan. Will let you guys know how it goes.....as we are go for operation stuffed fox at the Patek house.... :-D
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:19 am

This is where I got the idea from.....check out the video....
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/677983/i-caught-my-fox-updated-now-with-the-video
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:30 pm

Well the trap is set....sprayed scent kill all over and around the trap ....used an old tarp that is half rotten and has been behing my shop for a few months covering a second set of tires I have and the gun is loaded. :jeep: ....now just time to wait...

This is looking down the throat of the trap:
Inside trap.JPG
Inside trap.JPG (136.09 KiB) Viewed 1832 times

If you look closely you can see the chicks yellow legs....and the small waterer I put in there so he would have water during the night.
Chick in Trap.JPG
Chick in Trap.JPG (30.76 KiB) Viewed 1832 times

This is what the trap looks like from the outside:
Trap.JPG
Trap.JPG (137.05 KiB) Viewed 1832 times

The chick is chirping his head off....I feel good that I will have a fox in the morning. :{_}:

WIll be sure to post again in the morning with an update.
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

Return to “Projects Forum”