This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Getting Ready for Spring Planting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ShineRunner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28685
Tractors Owned: 1956 Cub
1946 Ford 2N
1958 Ford 861
1961 Ford 861
1965 MF 202 Industrial
Circle of Safety: Y

Getting Ready for Spring Planting

Postby ShineRunner » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:19 pm

My Cub has been running good since I did a valve job a little over a year ago. The Cub seems to have lost some of it's power so I pull the Cub into the shop yesterday and pulled the oil plug's and let it drain last night. So I went back in today to put the oil in and decided to check the timeing with a light. It was a little before the first notch so I put it dead on TDC and them pull the throttle up and it advanced a little over half way to the second notch. Is this where it is suppose to stop or should it make it to the second mark. Is 16 degrees the second mark? I will be checking the valves tomorrow. Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Re: Getting Ready for Spring Planting

Postby RaymondDurban » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:38 pm

It should advance to the second notch.
How is the RPM at full throttle?

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:24 pm

Weights may be sticking in the distributor. Or it was running to fast when you set it to 0 at idle
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:28 pm

Static time the engine - zero rpms. Start engine and full throttle, 1600 rpms or more. 2nd mark (16 degrees advance) and pointer should come close to lining up. Below 400 rpms the 1st mark should line up with the pointer.
I have an excuse. CRS.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:47 am

Eugene wrote:1600 rpms or more. 2nd mark (16 degrees advance) and pointer should come close to lining up. Below 400 rpms the 1st mark should line up with the pointer.

If you can't get both of them to line up, go with the TDC mark at the low revs. I had that problem and advanced it so the timing was correct at high idle and started having starting problems. Reset the timing to TDC static, and starting problems disappeared.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

ShineRunner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28685
Tractors Owned: 1956 Cub
1946 Ford 2N
1958 Ford 861
1961 Ford 861
1965 MF 202 Industrial

Postby ShineRunner » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:56 pm

Well I got back in the shop today and finished work on my Cub. I started by checking the valves, hadn't checked them since valve job, everything was ok, a snug .015. Then I took the distributor off and checked the auto advance and the little weights where a little loose, so I tighten them up by tweaking the curves in the springs a little at a time. It took about three tries on each end to get them where it seemed to be good. I put everything back together and she wanted to start a little slow but did start. I set the timeing on TDC (at about 400) and them revved the engine up and it went to full advanced just like it should. Thanks for all the help guys!!! :-:-):

Hope to plant cabbage this weekend if it drys enough! :{_}:

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:35 am

You did exactly what I do to correct distributor advance issues. Over time, the springs weaken and become slightly extended. This causes the timing to slightly advance at very low engine speed, even when cranking with the starter. One then sets the timing to TDC at idle, but the distributor is already partially advanced and has little more advance to add when engine speed is increased. There should be a small amount of tension on the springs when in the static (fully retarded) condition.

Return to “Farmall Cub”