This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need Help Removing Cub Brake Pedal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ih140collector
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Need Help Removing Cub Brake Pedal

Postby ih140collector » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Hey guys, I've been on here before but for some reason (probably due to lack of use) my account had been deleted. Anyways....I'm back with the same name! I've got me an International Farmall Cub (1975 model) and the right brake is extremely stiff. The pedal itself is actually locked tight. The middle (left) brake pedal moves smooth and freely like it should and it goes down and springs back up like it would on a new one. I would like to know if it is possible (it looks that way from the parts manual) to remove the brake pedal and sand, clean, and lube all parts and put them back together so it will work like the Left pedal does. I had actually removed the pointed bolt, and used a torch and got the pedal "free" and it will move, but it doesn't move far and it doesn't spring back into place. You have to move it back and forth manually and that will definitely not work while driving. It is extremely tight. I've also soaked it with PB blaster and still not better. When I did all of this I disconnected the linkage to the brake band so I could move it back and forth a good bit. Now I feel that I need to take everything apart and clean, sand, and lube to get it working right. While using the torch, it ruined the return spring and I put a new factory one on it and it still doesn't help.

The pedal is just really tight! How can I remove all of the components and fix it right?

Thanks for your help, and hope all is well here on the forum as it has been a while since I have been on here.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need Help Removing Cub Brake Pedal

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:20 pm

viewtopic.php?f=147&t=17410&p=125869&hilit=brake+pedal+removal#p125869
This "how to" by Ralph is the best help I can offer.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:26 pm

They are a bear sometimes. Actually, almost all the time... The LAST thing you want to do is hammer on the shaft. It is soft steel and it will mushroom and you will need to replace it.

And.... welcome back to the Forum! :mona:
Last edited by bob in CT on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:48 pm

heat, heat and more heat
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:12 am

bob in CT wrote:They are a bear sometimes. Actually, almost all the time... The LAST thing you want to do is hammer on the shaft. It is soft steel and it will mushroom and you will need to replace it.

Agree. A few too many taps with the hammer had me bringing out the file to relieve the "mushroom" on my '48 a couple summers back. Finally came out...
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

ih140collector
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ih140collector » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:04 am

Thanks guys. I'm going to read the How To by Ralph, and see what it says. I'll post back if I have any questions.

ih140collector
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ih140collector » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:19 am

Since I'm not trying to remove the entire left brake pedal, or the floorpan; I really don't see Ralph's method being what I need to do. Yes, it would work well; but since I'm only trying to free up the right brake pedal from being so tight, I don't want to remove all of the other stuff unless that is the ONLY option. See where I'm coming from?

What do you guys think? I think by disconnecting the linkage, using a crescent wrench, and using heat....I might be able to get it all apart. Maybe I could take a blunt chisel and hit the "rod" right at where the clevis connects to avoid mushrooming the rod?? What do you guys think?

I appreciate all of the feedback!

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:51 am

Better watch it with heat, hammer, and chisel. That's a dangerous combination. I had one that was hung up like you are describing. Over a period of about 2 weeks, I went out daily, sprayed both sides of the pedal/rod with Kroil, and worked it up and down as best I could. After two weeks, it freed up and was fine. Never had another problem with it. Since you've already heated the pedal, this may not work at all. Heat does some funny things to metals. Some metals expand and stay. Some metals expand and contract. Some just get soft and others get brittle. It all has to do with the kind of alloy they made the part from. I think I would disconnect the brake rod, and turn the pedal as much as you can, repeatedly back and forth, and see what happens. If it's REALLY hung up bad, you're likely going to tear it up getting it off the tractor, so you might start looking for a replacement.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

ih140collector
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ih140collector » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:03 am

Ok. I think I will just disconnect from linkage, apply PB Blaster liberally and use the cresecent wrench to hold the "tab" that connects the linkage while moving the pedal back and forth. Sound like that will work??

Return to “Farmall Cub”