This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Forgot to shut the gas off blues

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
panda
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49910
Circle of Safety: Y

Forgot to shut the gas off blues

Postby panda » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:19 pm

Found the problem with "lucky" my 48 Cub yesterday. When I could not find a problem with the fuel system I started to ck the electrical side of things. Traced the problem to the points by using a ohm meter to see if they were working. Found that the points were not closing and pulled the Mag to ck/adj the points and she fired up on the first turn. Let her run for a little while and found the head getting to hot for my liking so added coolant and found her to be about 1/2 gallon low. as I added the coolant slowly I noticed white smoke start to puff out the stack every once and a while. I think I'll have to pull the head and ck/replace the head gasket when the weather permits. The question I have is what kind of sealer do you use when you button her up. I didn't use a sealer when I rebuilt the motor and it ran fine last year with no smoke. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Re: Forgot to shut the gas off blues

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:37 pm

You may have cracked the head, if it was very hot, when you added coolant. As far as gasket sealant I use the gold spray stuff, on head gaskets. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:27 pm

Same as Ed, Copper Coat. The spray version is real easy to apply.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:53 pm

Did you re-torque the head bolts after you ran it a bit?
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:50 pm

re-torquing the bolts cant hurt, but I have never had that to help. If you end up taking the head off use the copper coat and spray both sides of gasket and let it get tacky , not dry before replacing head. use a sealer on the head bolts, I use Indian head gasket shellac.
I hope you did not crack the head.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

panda
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby panda » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:56 am

I have my fingers crossed that the head is OK. I did re-torque the bolts. When I was running her last summer it seemed to use a lot of coolant. Nothing in the oil just "low" every time I went to use the Cub and I had to add coolant. I had the block boiled out when I rebuilt the motor but not the head. Last fall I ran a cleaner through the system and installed new antifreeze. Weather looks like it will be cold for the next couple of weeks and the trail to the heated shop is snowed in. Maybe I'll just pick at it a little at a time and see what is going on. The smoke out of the stack did not smell sweet as it usually does when you are "burning" coolant and I have my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the info and wish me luck.

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:52 am

Normally you do not fill the cub radiator all the way up to the filler neck. Liquid expansion will occur as the engine heats up and the only place this can take place is at the top of the radiator. Since there is no external expansion collector tank attached to the overflow tube, any liquid beyond a level just above the top of the core will be pushed out through the overflow tube by expansion. Look down through the filler neck and use a flashlight to check for the proper level.

Since you suspect a head leak, you should fill the radiator all the way up to the neck, run the engine and watch for air bubbles coming up in the water, which indicates a compression leak. A compression test will also help confirm whether you have a compression leak.

panda
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby panda » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:25 pm

I forgot to check for the bubbles when it was running. Sun is out so maybe I'll go start her up and see what happens before I start tearing her down. Thanks for reminding me. Getting old sure leaves me backtracking more and more. Thanks for the tip.

Return to “Farmall Cub”