This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help with sticky/binding clutch pedal/bushing maybe?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mr. Mac
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99122

Help with sticky/binding clutch pedal/bushing maybe?

Postby Mr. Mac » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:36 pm

Hey all,

Been lookin over the site since last night, figured I'd join up. Went to go get the Cub (1948) out of the barn yesterday, and the clutch pedal was stuck, as in pretty stuck! you could push it down, and then get off the tractor and kick it back til it hit the floorboard. Not good!

Checked with the guy who put it in the barn, he says there wasn't a thing wrong with it then. This is probably in early late October?

Anyway, he shoehorned it into a tight spot, and if I do something wrong, it'll pop right through the front wall of the barn... can't be doing that.

Did a bunch of reading up here last night, went back over there sprayed the pivot with PB Blaster a little at a time, and got the pedal to move a tad easier, but still sticking bad. Really don't think that the problem, both brake pedals are as free as they've ever been, and they suffer the same kind o treatment as the clutch pedal/pivot. Outside all year, except for winter.

Went back again today, armed with more stuff, sprayed er down again, got into the clutch access hole, gave the TOB a few squirts o grease, sprayed a few tidbits in there, but nuthin doin... it's not freeing up to a usable point.

Got a wrench, broke loose the pedal adjusting bolt to rule out the pedal, the pedal was kinda nasty sticky, more PB Blaster, got it freed up to the point where the weak ass spring underneath actually brings it back like it should. Then set pedal and lock bolt back down, and that sucker is still doin the same crap, tight pedal, actually feels like it gets worse the more you move it.

I got a gut feeling it's in the pedal pivot bushing (but why, and how?), but I could be wrong (happened a couple times before ;-{). Anyway, next step would be to pull the little cotter pin and disconnect the linkage from the TOB, and isolate the problem to either one or the other?

Any tips on this or that?

I'd like to rig up something to get some lube into the pivot way back inside the tube, doesn't sound easy or fun, but probably doable?

I kinda have my doubts that the problem is up front for some reason, but why in the H did it do this?

We've been runnin this old dog for 20 years, gets put away every winter just the same, every spring we get it out, start disking about a 4 acre garden, etc... It was only dumb luck it was me that went to get it, I wanted to drag it over to my house to do the brakes which need done bad, and I just got the parts, and now this. I gotta have this thing all shipshape by April Fool's day.

Anyway, if anybody has a helpful tip, I'm all ears.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Help with sticky/binding clutch pedal/bushing maybe?

Postby tst » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:00 pm

The newer cubs had a grease fitting on the torque tube to keep it lubed, I drill my old cubs and install fittings on the clutch pivot and brake shaft also as they seize in the torque tube also, keep lubing and working it
good luck Tim

Mr. Mac
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mr. Mac » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:18 pm

Thx Tim,

Can you show me a pic of where you put the zerk, and any pics of related surgery would be helpful ;-) I'm all for putting a grease fitting on that thing!

I doubled up two spray can spray tubes and pretty much blind douched the bushing area and I did get the clutch engagement part of the pedal freed up enough to drive the tractor out, basically fine now, but the bushing is still stiffer than (nevermind...), so that makes it hard to establish the right amount of free play during use, although you can pull the pedal back with yr foot a tad after engagement. But yeah, definitely in the bushing, it desperately needs some lube in there.

On to the next thing, though. Any tips on doing the brakes, besides the obvious?

I noticed one of the final drives is missing the inner bearing cap, any idea where to get one?

TIA ;-)
Last edited by Mr. Mac on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:35 pm

If it is the right side...it may not have one. It is set up for a sprocket for driving implements. Check #29 of:
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Parts%20Manuals/TC-37F%20Revision%202%20(09-70)//Chassis/Page-160.jpg
Some do have a cap, but not all.

Others who do gardening/farming can tell you more!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Mr. Mac
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mr. Mac » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:16 pm

Yep, right side has no cap. I'm afraid to fix too much stuff on this thing, it could fall apart ;-)

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:27 pm

No cap on the right side of cubs, that is normal

Return to “Farmall Cub”