This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Magnetoe issues

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
64/67lo-boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c
Circle of Safety: Y

Magnetoe issues

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:00 pm

I have a mag on my cub but it is hooked up with an external coil. I tried to hook it up with the mag coil and all i got was three very faint orange sparks then no spark. I am thinking its the mag coil. I woold like to run it with the mag set up. The coils are pricey. What else goes wrong with the magnetoe set ups?
Pete from Virginia Beach

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Magnetoe issues

Postby Barnyard » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Pete, there are several things that can go wrong with a mag, but if you have your's hooked up with an external coil, you can pretty much bet your mag coil is your problem.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Pete:

I have had all my mag's rebuilt with new coils. IF yours still has the original coil then half the battle is beat. The hardest thing to find is the core -- you need that. Then you can get an aftermarket coil such as this one:

Farmall Magneto Winding Coil Cub Cub Lo Boy C60 J4 352355R91 251563R91 21A561 IH

That one is in Canada, so with the exchange rate it should be cheaper than the ones on ebay.com. It is going back to the US so no duty either ... which is a plus.

I normally refer Mainely Magneto's but the ones from A&I are good. I got one from one of our members and it works perfectly. Once you put the new coil in, the only problems you might have will be the usual with points/condenser much like any Cub with a battery ignition/distributor.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

64/67lo-boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks Rudi, I ordered one of the A&I coils for my mag the other day and it was waiting for me when I got home today. $73 and some change shiped to my door. I tore down the old mag and put it in right away. Only problem in all the excitement I got it 180 out. I just switched the plug wires aroud and it cranked right up. Set the timing, had to use the lawn mower tractor as a 12 volt source for the timing light. Dead batteries wont stop me now.
Pete from Virginia Beach

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:05 pm

Congrats Pete :applause: ... glad you got the internal mag installed. Sometimes in our zeal to hear it run we go too fast, btdt and yup .. very easy to put it 180 out. Did you fix that too? And yeah, as long as you can crank that puppy, you will never have to worry about a battery. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”