This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help Wanted

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149
Circle of Safety: Y

Help Wanted

Postby Jason (IL) » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:41 am

I am just throwing this out there to see if any forum members has contacts with any outfits that sell and install woodshop dust collection systems. I have done google searches and have come up with several companies and I received a bid yesterday for over $100,000 to install a system in my shop, 850 cfm. I am in east central IL and would like to stay local but my budget is half of that. This is for my school shop, the system I have is from 1954 and is breaking down. If there is anybody out there that knows of smaller companies please send me a PM and I will contact them. I have contacted all my local HVAC guys around here to and most say it is too commercial for them. I have also contacted the local sheet metal union and have no response from them.

Thanks
Jason

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Help Wanted

Postby Rudi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:27 am

Jason:

A '54 you say ... geez that is still relatively young .. that's my age :lol:

Exactly what is breaking down in your current system :?: At the moment I am currently rebuilding my shop and installing a complete dust extraction system as well as a filter system. Surprisingly much of this stuff can be shop-made and just as good if not better than commercial units as they can be customized to suit your individual shop. This would include particulate management. I have seen a number of quality extraction systems that include cyclones that can be built by any good sheet metal shop. I can go look for that information which may give you some more information for your local sheet metal guys. I can see they being a tad apprehensive but once presented with the sketches etc., I am sure they would say - Hey, I can do that!

A sketch of the shop layout, equipment and of course your current dust collection system would be helpful. To try to recommend something without an idea of what you are up against.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:41 am

Same question as Rudi asked.

If the duct work is still intact, why not just change out the dust collector? $50K seems high for a new cyclone and perhaps some duct work changes.

Use to teach shop. When the school district had a major project, the head custodian had to submit a bid, his estimate, for the work. This type of project would appear to be well within the capabilities on most school's custodial staff.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:10 am

We are looking to replace all. The blower fan is is breaking apart and will need rewelded and rebuilt which it has seen twice in the past 20 yrs. All the duct work is breaking down at the welded joints. My head Maint man said it is time for a complete new system. The bid we have is for a CamFill collection system. It is the top of the line system. We are looking to get the blower and all installed and I will most likely install all the duct work this summer and over the course of the school year.
We are pulling off 8 stationary machines and several portables so a simple set up is not going to work.

This is the system I like.
http://www.camfilfarrapc.com/

Waiting on a bid from these folks
http://www.honeyvillemetal.com/categories.php?category_id=89

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:09 am

Now I can see $100K. Considering that you may have to install a sprinkler system to bring the new dust collection system up to OSHA standards.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Our local school districts could never afford those types of systems for the school shops - what few we actually do have. Pretty high end filtration systems. I understand the need for clean air probably better than most now, but man that is expensive.

Good luck on the project Jason, keep us posted and pics of the old and new would be nice as it comes along.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Jason, how large of a school shop do you have and how many and what type of machines are you running. That size setup seems pretty excessive for a school shop, I am assuming this is a high school?

Are the firms that have provided you quotes designing the ductwork layout and sizing also? That can make or break a dust collection system.

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:11 pm

I will get some pics later but the shop is pretty good sized. I am running 2 table saws, planer, drum sander and shop saws at one time it seems. I will be adding a shaper and wood lathe here shortly. My problem now is everything is breaking down and falling apart at the welds. So we are pricing a new system installed. My room is roughly 40 by 60 and has a main vein and 3 spurs off the main. My maint man at school is the who suggested we replace it.

I got another quote this week that is much more resonable from Honeyville system of Indiana. It is a Cyclone system.

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Jason (IL) wrote:I will get some pics later but the shop is pretty good sized. I am running 2 table saws, planer, drum sander and shop saws at one time it seems. I will be adding a shaper and wood lathe here shortly. My problem now is everything is breaking down and falling apart at the welds. So we are pricing a new system installed. My room is roughly 40 by 60 and has a main vein and 3 spurs off the main. My maint man at school is the who suggested we replace it.

I got another quote this week that is much more resonable from Honeyville system of Indiana. It is a Cyclone system.

I'll post some pics of my dust collection system soon, you would be very happy with a two stage cyclone unit, very efficient, I use a single stage 5 HP Delta dual 55 gal bag collector, but since you have numerous machines operating at once you will need the additional CFM's. That also makes a huge difference in determining the diameters of the main trunk and branches.

I am assuming they are quoting using galvanized spiral steel pipe runs? I think mine is 20 gauge and came out of PA, I designed my own system since I have taken courses in it.

My shop is 50 x 75 with a 14 x 20 spray room off to the side, so our main shop size is pretty similar to yours.

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:52 pm

I bought a majority of my ductwork here:

http://www.airhand.com/

Excellent quality and fit, union shop, pricey but worth it.

I believe they will also assist in ductwork design and layout to make sure it is sized properly depending on your needs.

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:39 am

Air hand is on our list if we install the duct work ourselves. As of now now quote includes the drawings and plan so we will or should have something to go by.

Return to “Off Topic”