This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Harry Ferguson meet Farmall Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ole90633
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17701
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub Standard

Harry Ferguson meet Farmall Cub

Postby Ole90633 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:23 pm

The seemingly never ending task of plowing my 1500' crushed stone driveway free of snow each winter then becomes the never ending task of plowing the stone back into the driveway each spring. The biggest problem has been the diversion ditches spaced about every 250' down the hill and I've always had to mount my 54A in the center position to get-r-done.

Problem is, I have to back over the accumulated piles to push the stone back into the drive; doesn't work well and takes many tries, often with the drive tires slipping and their ruts making it worse. Oh, to have a rear mount grader blade !

Enter Craig's List and a Harry Ferguson B-FO-A21 6' Grader Blade for a hundred bucks ! It was a three-point type mount and my 1949 Cub only has the regular draw-bar. Necessity being the mother of invention, I re-purposed the iron from the three-point lift frame to make an adapter for the draw-bar, set aside the long adjusting screw normally used for adjusting the depth, installed a lift chain and just allow it to pivot off the draw-bar hard points now !

Ferguson Grader Blade 001.jpg
Ferguson Grader Blade 001.jpg (437.75 KiB) Viewed 822 times

Ferguson Grader Blade 004.jpg
Ferguson Grader Blade 004.jpg (379.92 KiB) Viewed 822 times

A brief test run last evening, with a longer one today, has me looking forward to this chore more than I have in the past three decades ! Although I can only use the 15 degree angle left or right due to the closeness of the blade to the tires, that's all it seemed to need while mostly square to the direction of travel working best. I have a revision "A" in mind to support the extended upright portion of the adapter off the draw-bar mounting plate to reduce flexing at the draw-bar. The Touch Control raises the grader blade with no effort at all, even at idle. I also need to find two new pivot pins and come up with a new cutting edge to give this great tool another 50 years of service.

Over summer, the sand-blaster will make the green go-away and implement blue will take its place ! I am just delighted !!!

Don :{_}:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Harry Ferguson meet Farmall Cub

Postby ricky racer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:36 pm

ImageKeep us posted with all of your modifications. Some of us guys might want to replicate it. Thanks for posting, Don.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:24 pm

does the nose get a little light when you raise it?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Don:

That blade is a monster :big what: How does it handle :?: As John said, does it make the front end a little light :?: What kind of weight are you working with on the rear end :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Ole90633
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ole90633 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:53 am

Good morning John and Rudi...

When I first saw the Grader Blade, I too was concerned about the size/weight. Let the search engine do some homework and found that although is appears to be a monster, it weighs in the 375# area. "Mariam" (the Cub) has front/rear wheel weights and handled the 189 two-way plow set just fine. Further reading about the Touch Control able to do 500# + at the rear rock shaft, made it a "go" proposition.

My longer functional test of the set-up yesterday, yielded the probable need for a stay brace off the top of the adapter at the draw-bar to the final drive forward of the axle to prevent flexing fatigue on the adapter at the right angle bend. A good "bite" of stone nearly half-way up the moldboard fully 6' across, while angled right at 15 degrees & going uphill, caused the steers to skew which counter-steering corrected; yes, only a light touch was needed. If the Cub had the front-end of a Motor Grader, I could have canted the steers away from the skew and kept on going.

So, my "revisions" to the set-up will be: add a stay brace, install the other set of front wheel weights on the inside front and make several light passes instead of one heavy pass (will allow for even more quality "seat-time") :D

I'm undecided as to using a rigid lift-link from the rock-shaft to the blade so I can apply down pressure which, in effect, will load the steering but may unload the drives or stay with the flexible link I have now.

The accumulated wisdom of y'all would be appreciated...

Don

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:15 pm

I have one like it, that I use with the IH444. It's heavy! Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:12 pm

Don,

Looks good and should work great. As for the down pressure from the rock shaft. The primary cause of bent/reinforced lifting rods is using the rockshaft to exert down pressure without any means of relieving unexpected upward pressure. Rear cultivators have down pressure springs designed to relieve unexpected upward pressure, although I would be the first to admit that most of them are adjusted to be so compressed that no 'relief' is possible, which helps explain bent lift rods.

In your application, if you want a bent lift rod, fashion a solid down pressure bar, and presto --- pretzel lift rod.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:16 pm

Ditto what bill said unless you can make it spring loaded. I have no idea why the locking collar is on the lift rod (F/H), but I know what it can do. BTDT.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Ole90633
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ole90633 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:39 am

A "Tip-o-the-Hat" to Bill and Danovercash !

Thanks for the sound wisdom regarding the rigid or flexible lift-link ! As I drifted off to sleep last night, I was thinking about the pros/cons of each and settled on a flexible lift-link for the same reasons you guys did: that l-o-n-g unsupported rod from the rear rock-shaft to the rock-shaft at the TC.

Thinking also about how the 54A has the sprung lift-link and perfectly handles "push-back", both in the front and mid-ship mounts, the weight of the B-FO-A21 on a flexible lift-link will protect the Cub and me with the existing chain lift ! :wink:

Looking outside now, the snow has just started on the 1-2" forecast here in Northcentral PA. With the crushed stone driveway half-thawed, it is not worth plowing a little bit of snow and a whole bunch more stone out of the way !!! The weather towards the weekend will be in the fifties... March will be going out like a lamb :D

Thanks again Bill and Danovercash: Wisdom passed along becomes Wisdom learned !

don

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:47 am

You' very welcome Don. Every once in a while I think about putting a stack of old valve springs or something similar behind the collar. That would put down pressure on the f/h and still allow some float. What do you think guys?
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Return to “Farmall Cub”