This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Milking Machine?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
glennhuff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97458
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub

Milking Machine?

Postby glennhuff » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:56 pm

Okay Rudi, you caught my attention. I have never heard of a milking machine attached to the cub. I can see how vacuum would be useful for something like that. Could you elaborate please. Have you actually seen a milking machine set up this way?

glenn

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Milking Machine?

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:07 pm

A lot of milking was done, during power outages, using engine vacuum. That may be the reason for the pipe plug, on the cub manifold.
Farms tend to be on the "end of the wires", last to get power back, in a storm. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:46 pm

The plug is replaced by a common valve just like the one on the supply lines in the barn. A rubber hose connect the tractor to one of the supply line valves and you are set to go. Used it once or twice myself.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:52 pm

Seen milking machines powered by tractor vacuum a couple of times. Always during electric power outages. This was years ago and at that time most farmers did not have auxiliary power sources, generator sets.

Much slower in operation than electric powered milkers. Arrived at 10 AM for an appointment with farmer. Farmer was still powering his milking machine with his tractor vacuum. Normally he would have finished milking around 7 AM.
I have an excuse. CRS.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:27 pm

Our M had a valve on the intake for that purpose. A dairy farming neighbor used to borrow it for milking when the power was out. Must have been either something they did away with in later years or unique to IH, because he had an MM and 4020s, but he borrowed our M when the power went out.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:06 pm

Glenn:

:lol: glad it tickled your fancy .... I didn't understand the reason behind the plug on the manifold until a couple of the older hands here set me straight on it. Made a lot of sense. As Ed said, a lot of farms were at the end of the wires and tended to be last to get the shore power back after a storm. Cows still needed to be milked so made sense that the tractor could be hooked up to provide the vacuum.

I love this place. I learn stuff every day :{_}:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:21 pm

I thought that about any gas engine bigger than a lawn mower had a vacuum tap. A lot of accessories ran off vacuum.

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:23 am

Jim Becker wrote:I thought that about any gas engine bigger than a lawn mower had a vacuum tap. A lot of accessories ran off vacuum.

Ah yes, How many remember the joy of vacuum wipers?
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:27 am

I loved mine, they worked very well, would even push snow at idle ,and no over speed on deceleration .

Re: What's this?
Eugene, did his '53 Chevy truck have electric wipers? Mine had a vacuum motor. I put on a dual action fuel pump which regulated the vacuum. They worked as good as electrics as long as the motor was running. No more too slow ... or too fast.
by danovercash
Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:39 pm
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

Postby torchred89 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:25 am

I grew up in the 50s on a dairy farm. We milked 100 cows and had six surge milkers. My job was to empty the milkers and move the belt from one cow to the next. We used milk cans and at 10 years old. It was everything I could do. To get those full cans over the edge of the cooler into the cold water. I can't remember what we did if the Elect. went off.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:17 am

Oh heck my Dad was using a setup like that from time to time right up until he sold the cows a few years ago.

We had an old Surge bucket milker left over from before the pipeline, and he'd hook it to the manifold on a gas tractor to milk down cows out in the barnyard. For a while the loader tractor was basically a self-contained milking parlor. Hip slings to get the cow on her feet, and a vacuum spigot to run the milking machine.

I guess when we had just moved to the farm back in 1975, he milked cows one night during a power outage with the M hooked to one vacuum line and the 1969 Chevy hooked to the other vacuum line. The next morning he went over and bought a PTO generator.

smallfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43078

Postby smallfarm » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:43 pm

A lot of old Model T Fords have their maniforlds drilled and tapped. One of mine had a petcock screwed into it. My grandfather told me to open er up -- you'll really fly when she's running lean, but i liked my valves to much to try it. Besides on a T the carb needle can be adjusted from the driver's seat while going down the road. Next time someone drives a Cub a 100 miles cross country, it could save some time and fuel.
Actually most of the vacume on T's was used for wolf whistles. Try Lang's Old Car Parts if you want to add some "bling" to the Cub. Kind of makes me wonder if some of those manifold taps on T's were for milking?
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

Return to “Farmall Cub”