This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ethanol

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Ethanol

Postby clodhopper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:11 pm

I will throw my two pennies on the pile. I am no chemist, this is all from experience.

Back in the early 90's I raced WKA stock kart. I built my own race engines (stock 5 HP Briggs). We ran these engines on almost PURE methanol without any gas. Anything other than methanol was illegal to run. The only changes to the engine were ignition and valve timing and the stock carb was bored to increase air and fuel flow. The only issues I ever had were the carb (which is made from the same pot metal as the cub carb) would get a little corrosion in the throat if left for long periods without flushing. BTW....we were turning those stocker class engines at 7000 rpms....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Isopropyl would be a better additive for gasoline, but the cost is prohibitive. Rubbing alcohol is mostly water, not at all suitable for a fuel additive.
I know of one station that claims to have 93 octane without ethanol. But I wonder how fresh, or not, the fuel may be. Never see anyone filling up there as the price is $.50 or more per gallon above normal.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:24 pm

I know a lot of mechanics blame ethanol gas for a lot of things but I really think that for a good many of those problems, the mechanic just doesn't have a good explanation, or doesn't want to accuse the customer of neglecting the engine. Ethanol is used as a scapegoat for many engine problems that are just dumb luck or caused by poor maintenance. They'd blame ethanol fuel for a flat tire if they thought they could get away with it.

Easter weekend I cranked up my old McCulloch 10-10 that had been sitting with a half tank of 10% ethanol fuel in it since I sprained my ankle the day after Thanksgiving in 2011. That's 491 days.

It popped in 3 pulls, and was running in 5. Ran like a top and I used it to prune several large branches.

People try to tell me that ethanol fuel is no good after 30 days or that it ruins rubber/plastic parts and is no good for 2-stroke engines and whatever... I have at least 20 gasoline engines ranging from old tractors to chainsaws to a fairly new lawn mower, and yet to have one single solitary engine problem that could be attributed to ethanol fuel.

A Cub doesn't have any plastic or rubber components in the fuel system. These old engines will run on anything flammable, even rotgut whiskey if the proof is high enough.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:These old engines will run on anything flammable, even rotgut whiskey if the proof is high enough.

Adds a new twist to "Copperhead Road" :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:53 pm

Around here you can still buy Premium grade ethanol free gas if you want to pay the price....I tried several tanks in my 89 Corvette and noticed no improvement in mileage, power etc etc etc...I store the Vette, an Old harley and 2 Cubs and a Harry Ferguson, a generator, and a Roto tiller each winter using ethanol gas and Stabil...Then I beat feet for Florida for 3/4 months..No problems yet...By the way you can remove the ethanol from gasoline as we all probably know but thats another can of worms....Chuckle Chuckle....
In Memory of 58,286

RogerW
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 50662

Postby RogerW » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:26 pm

I have beenusing10ethanol mix in everything ever since it came out her in IA. That includes a 68 Chevy step van on up through todays vehicles. Never had any problems with the fuel or vehicles because of it. I was told it would clog filters because of the cleaning action in older tanks, but never had any problems. I use it in the Cub most of the time, but I do add some sea-foam from time to time, as it doesn't get used enough to keep the fuel fresh.

Return to “Farmall Cub”