This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A charging problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.
Circle of Safety: Y

A charging problem

Postby Papa's Cub » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Since I don't have a working battery charger at the moment I thought I'd take the dead battery out of my 3000 ford and set it on the floor board of my cub and hook up the cables and let the cub alt charge it. I knew I would have to jump start the cub so it could do its job. The problem is when I disconnected the jumper cables the motor would run for maybe 30 seconds then die. The third try I increased the rpm's and it continued to run long enough for me to get about 75 yds. further away from the barn. I Don't understand why this wouldn't work. Any ideas other than purchase a new charger.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: A charging problem

Postby beaconlight » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:01 pm

the way you describe it you have a really dead battery. do you have the battery wired into the circuit when running? When is the last time you were sure the alternator is working? Do you have a voltmeter you can use to check the voltage put out by the alternator?
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Alternators will not charge dead batteries!---generators will so you will have to get the dead ones at full charge then the alternator will maintain them at full charge!--- or so they tell me! LOL!!! thanks; sonny

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:22 am

As I read the initial post. A battery was used to jump start the Cub with alternator. If the charging system/alternator were functioning, the battery used to start the Cub would have excited the alternator, started it charging.

Any way. $20- to $30- battery charger or borrow one from neighbor. Charge up the batteries. Then have batteries checked for condition.

Once batteries are charged and in good condition check the Cub's alternator out put as Beaconlight suggested.

Multimeter/volt meter inexpensive. I picked up two cheap ones from Harbor Freight for $3.99 each, for shop use. Local hardware store should have some for a few dollars more.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”