This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cub wont start help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gpcubboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62362
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub "Virgil"
1939 Ford 9N
193 Cub Plow
189 Club Plows
1919 McCormick Deering M gas Engine
Numerous Y's, WI's B&S Engines

cub wont start help

Postby gpcubboy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:56 pm

Last weekend went out to start my 1952 cub. It would not start it was last ran about 3 months ago. My cub has always been a little cold blooded to start compared to my 9n ford. Usually after 3 or 4 attempts of starting it will start. Then have to partially choke first time you speed it up to keep it from dieing. Last week i did my usual routine wouldn't start it would hit once unchoked and would hit twice when partial choked. If you pulled choke lever back all the way and tried it wouldnt hit at all and if leave it choked too long fuel dripping out filler ball in bottom of carb body. I drained tank of fuel and emptied/cleaned sediment bowl, cleaned fuel line, replaced with new clean fuel today. Tried again same results identical to last week no change after 15 minutes of trying. Left sit went back couple hours later same symptoms. I am assuming maybe a stuck float or dirty adjustment screw. Never been inside the carb on a cub. Have worked on all types B & S carbs over the years. Never considered myself an expert carb person by any means. My cub burns some oil also thought possibly fouled plugs or both. I looked at cub book of knowledge and cub faq parts of site. This cub always a little hard to start even when my grandfather owned it who passed away 3 years ago. This is the first tractor i learned to drive at age 9 and has alot of special memories for me about my grandfather. It is tearing me up i cant get it to start. Any help much appreciated on this problem.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: cub wont start help

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:18 pm

If its an IH carb, try cleaning the main jet. (Brass hex head, on the outer side.) Use a thin wire (Telephone wire is perfect.) Could be a little speck, blocking it. Try spraying starting fluid, or carb cleaner,into the choke area, and try starting it. If the carb is plugged up, it will run briefly, on the fluid you spray in. Has it been tuned, recently? could be no spark. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Wakulla Bill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32327
Tractors Owned: Now
73 MF 165
63 MF 203 Ind
44 BF Avery "A" Project
51 Farmall Cub
49 Farmall Cub
48 Farmall Super A

Postby Wakulla Bill » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:20 pm

Have you checked to see if you have spark??
"Work smarter; Not harder"

gpcubboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1939 Ford 9N
193 Cub Plow
189 Club Plows

Postby gpcubboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:34 pm

No i haven't checked spark. I should of thought about doing a spark test. I tend to shy away from tearing into something on it because it has so much sentimental value to me. Thanks for the advice on everything.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:05 pm

gpcubboy wrote:I tend to shy away from tearing into something on it because it has so much sentimental value to me. Thanks for the advice on everything.

Proper maintenance is part and parcel of owning a Cub or any machine for that matter. Suggest you spend a little time reading the McCormick Farmall Cub Tractor Operator's Manual 1-5-55. It is a bit later than your '52 but it all applies. You can find the maintenance section starting on page 13 with the Lubrication Section. The Maintenance section begins in ernest on page 23.

By the way, congrats :applause: on becoming the keeper of your Grandfather's Cub. This is truly special, to be able to have a Cub that has such a strong family connection and personal ties. I guess I missed your first post so, as is the norm, here is the welcome wagon sort of . Suggest you follow the links below, there is really tons of information and resources for our members. Glad you have become one :!:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:18 pm

Chris, I would be more than happy to look it over for you while I am up your way in the next couple days. I will have some carb tools along with me.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:22 am

When was the last complete engine tune up?

Same opinion as Ed and Bill, could easily be an ignition problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

gpcubboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1939 Ford 9N
193 Cub Plow
189 Club Plows

Postby gpcubboy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:31 pm

I appreciate everyones help. I dont know when the last tune up was. I am guessing several years ago. I will take a look wont get a chance until the weekend.

Thanks,

Chris :D

gpcubboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1939 Ford 9N
193 Cub Plow
189 Club Plows

Re: cub wont start help-Success!!!!!!

Postby gpcubboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:40 pm

Success :D I am so happy I got time to work again yesterday on Grandpa's 52 cub I call Virgil after my grandfather. I was able to get it started after some work and using advice from the forum. I cleaned the main jet and it had some dirt in the opening on the side of the carb. Next I replaced the spark plugs. I have pictures of the old ones. Last week I had drained the old gas out, cleaned the sediment bowl, the carb inlet, and the fuel line and it still wouldn't start. Once I replaced the plugs and cleaned the jet I tried it again it rolled over about 1/2 a turn on the starter unchoked and started right off. It hasn't cold started that easy and without choking ever that I can remember. Thank you ScottyD's Dad, Wakulla Bill, Eugene, Rudi for the welcome and info. Thanks Brian for the posts, phone conversations, and offering to stop by this week and look at it. Guy's I appreciate all your help and advice. I apologize for not putting up an introduction post to the forum when I became an official member of the forum but I was so focused on my problem. I have been a viewer for a year or so now. I will post an intro. later tonight though. Again I can't thank you guys enough you are the best. I had the biggest smile last night I had in a long time. Here is a photo of plugs:

Chris
Attachments
sparkplugs.jpg
Spark plugs that I took out of Virgil
sparkplugs.jpg (483.93 KiB) Viewed 157 times

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Great feeling when a plan comes together
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:38 am

Chris:

Glad you got your Cub running. Great feeling when a problem is resolved and you can see/hear the end product of the work you did. Enjoy the journey cause it will be a lot of fun and enjoy being the keeper of your Grand Dad's Cub. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”