This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Side dressing with planter?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
grasser
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46725
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub
'77 IH Cub
'49 Farmall C w/trip bucket loader
Dad's WD-45
Circle of Safety: Y

Side dressing with planter?

Postby grasser » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:01 am

I picked up a 2 row 3 point corn planter (pretty sure it's an AC) that both units work individually, and I rigged one of the units to work behind my cub on a tool bar that mounts to my rear cultivator arms. It works pretty sweet actually.

The planter doesn't have a fertilizer applicator, so I'll broadcast fertilizer and disk it in before planting, but I was wondering: Could I fill the seed hopper with granular fertilizer, slide my planter off center on the tool bar (which would only take a minute or so) to run a couple inches off the row and let the seed plate run fertilizer between the double disk openers to side dress my corn?

I can't find anyone who's done it, but sure seems like it'd work. I'd run my front cultivators a make sure I had a shovel on the front bar lined up with where the planter would be running on the rear.

What do y'all think?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (131.76 KiB) Viewed 590 times
Justin

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Side dressing with planter?

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:10 am

Giving the question no amount of thought, I imagine the seed mechanism would plug up. If it doesn't plug up, it will probably take 15 or 20 passes to get enough fertilizer out to do any good.

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:56 pm

This sounds like it would work, probably not well though as Jim said. My main concern would be the effect the fertilizer would have on the planter unit, unless you were able to clean it out REAL good after using. John

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:16 pm

The seed boxes are designed for seed only!---sorry!---the weight of the fert alone would tear up the bottom of the planter!---fert is heavy and hard to turn plus eating up metal rather quick.---reg fert boxes are made way different than seed units!---You can always try it and see but you may not like the end results!LOL!! thanks; sonny

grasser
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46725
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub
'77 IH Cub
'49 Farmall C w/trip bucket loader
Dad's WD-45

Postby grasser » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:24 pm

Thanks for the opinions men. It was just a thought out of the blue, but I think you guys are right. The fine granules of fertilizer would probably be hard on the internal parts at the bottom of the hopper.
I'll keep thinking and looking.
Justin

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”