This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Good Deal??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
joemcc
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28127
Tractors Owned: 1963 Cub Red Sq Nose

Good Deal??

Postby joemcc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:34 am

A local guy with some parts bought a Cub by accident at an auction, says he was waiving to a buddy of his and ended up buying a Cub burnt in a fire. The tires melted, etc.. but the engine is good and it has the rear rockshaft unit, drawbars and brackets that I need. He says he will take a loss and sell it to me for $400 less than he paid for it (a friend of mine was at the same auction and confirmed what he paid for it). I guess my question is, does parting out a burnt up cub pay off? I'm going to look at it this evening, just not sure how deep to get into it. I figure it has $275 worth of parts I need anyway, not sure how much the engine and frame will bring parting it out.....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Good Deal??

Postby Barnyard » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:39 am

A Cub burnt in a fire is only worth about $250-$300.00.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 am

what it is worth depends on damage. If carb. melted, solder in starter or generator melted, light switch melted, it got pretty hot and only major parts will be reuseable.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:17 am

Look the tractor over carefully before making any purchase.

Thermal shock, rapid heating and cooling, can break or crack cast iron. There may be nothing left worth purchasing.

I wouldn't expect the engine to be good. Typical tractor fire starts in the engine area and not the rear tires.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:26 am

joemcc wrote:.................. bought a Cub by accident at an auction, says he was waiving to a buddy of his and ended up buying a Cub burnt in a fire. .......................He says he will take a loss and sell it to me for $400 less than he paid for it (a friend of mine was at the same auction and confirmed what he paid for it)......
Maybe I'm just a skeptic but something sounds fishy. I've never been to an auction where there was an "accidental bid" that won where the person didn't real quick explain they weren't bidding. Especially where we are talking "he will take $400 less than he paid" so presumably the price he paid is at least $401 and I doubt he's selling it to you for a $1. You're not real clear on what price he's asking you, is that where the $275 comes in? If so my question is; he paid $675 for a burnt Cub because he didn't want to own up to waving to a friend and will take a $400 loss? :?
I hope the friend at least waved back. :)

joemcc
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby joemcc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 am

Supposedly it was in a barn fire, the tractor itself didn't catch fire, just melted the tires and bubbled the paint.....he says engine is free, still water in the radiator, just have to check it out I guess.... he paid $1100 for it, wants $700 to get rid of it...per my buddy at the auction who told me about it, the guy had bought the previous 12 items and the subsequent 6 items (he buys up everything at these sales).....I know it has drawbars and rear rockshaft unit I need, guess I can check the carb, generator, light switch, etc., radiator is supposed to be good, check for wheel weights, lens covers, sheet metal, any other parts that may be salvageable..... hopefully he'll sell me the parts alone, if not I'll throw out a low offer if it doesn't look to bad, price of scrap metal + the parts I need.....

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:46 am

Yeah, auctioneers can be crooked but I've never heard of one being THAT croooked, except on TV sitcoms. Seen 'em take bids out of thin air, but they sure know the difference between a bid and a wave.

When the auctioneer asked for his number, the response should have been, "WHY? I didn't bid on anything."

Then again he was probably walking around with his number in his shirt pocket, clearly visible to all. Lesson there is to keep your number hidden in your pocket.

The litmus test is if the tires burned off. If the tires burned, it got HOT, and there's likely nothing left of value on the tractor.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:02 am

My opinion would be to pass. Agree with Scrivet, sounds too fishy.

As a comparison, I bought a non-running "parts Cub" at an auction for $425. Took it home, installed a carb jet, and it fired right up. It'll need rings or an overhaul, but point is: it's no longer a non-running "parts" Cub.

When you said he'd take a loss and sell it to you at $400 less than what he paid, it's at that point I'd walk away laughing ('cause a burnt out Cub isn't worth $400). :Dito: Barnyard.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

joemcc
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby joemcc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:06 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:
The litmus test is if the tires burned off. If the tires burned, it got HOT, and there's likely nothing left of value on the tractor.

Thanks, that's I'll definitely look at the tires then.... gotta think that other people were bidding on it, so it shouldn't be that bad.....pretty sure he wouldn't take what I would offer though....just don't want to offend him as he has lots of parts I could use in the future, so need to be careful not to add insult to injury

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:11 am

joemcc wrote:Supposedly it was in a barn fire, the tractor itself didn't catch fire, just melted the tires and bubbled the paint.....he says engine is free, still water in the radiator, just have to check it out I guess.........
I think we all have a mental picture of what this Cub looks like without actually seeing it and I am starting to think that it's not as bad as we all think since he paid $1100.

I still don't buy the "waving at a friend" story except as a face saving excuse why "I spent more on it than I should have" after he got a better look at it.

Maybe just one side is damaged, like left side tires and bubbled paint on the left, or rear tires and bubbled paint at the rear????? Definitely would check it out as you mentioned. For a nonrunner with tire and paint issues I think $700 is high though. At this point it doesn't really matter what he paid, or that he's taking a loss, just what's the Cub worth in the condition it's in where it sets.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:41 am

I think Scrivet bottom lined it....Check it out and offer him what its worth to you...Not what he thinks its worth...Good luck...Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:56 pm

Run like the wind Away FROM IT.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

joemcc
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby joemcc » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:41 am

Looked at the tractor last night, back of tractor saw most of the fire, engine still had paint, hoses, plug wires, etc. in good shape. Only parts I needed were the rockshaft and drawbar as this was a 1950 model, but he didn't really want to part it out. I haven't been to this guys place in 20yrs, but he has more big International tractors, 184's, 185's, Cadets and implements than I have ever seen in one place..... probably 50 big IH tractors all in good working order just in the one shed we were standing beside (only 3 red cubs). Had fun talking tractors though, learned a lot and got a valuable contact for cub parts as he prefers rebuilding larger tractors himself these days and promised to call if he found any loose parts sitting around the farm I could use. Fun evening!

PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.

Postby PVF1799 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:59 am

I'll throw this into the mix. Every time of not followed the advice provided by the knowledgeable contributors to this forum. I've paid the price. I've learned to listen. :-)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:58 am

I bought one that had been in a shed fire, tires burned, wheels flattened from heat, front axle sagged. Starter, and generator were missing, Carb. and light switch were puddles. Engine, transmission and finals were all successfully reused by other people after replacing gaskets and seals. George Willer straightened the non adjustable axle and used it on one of his builds several years ago. I only gave $98 for it though plus driving 200 mile round trip to get it. the seller had listed it as having a stuck engine, but it was in gear and the brakes were stuck. put it in neutral and engine was free.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”