This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Touch control Welch plug & new battery

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Touch control Welch plug & new battery

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:41 am

Well,

I ran into something I certainly wasn't expecting. I've moved to the old home place - Cub and all, and I'm now trying to mow around the pond, disc some soil, etc.

I noticed my hydraulics acting a bit funny - not allowing implements to stay in the up position, jerky movements and other things.

I went to shut off the gas, and noticed what I thought was oil on the bottom of the fuel shutoff. I kept looking with a flashlight, and saw traces all over the place of some kind of oil.

But, I couldn't find where the oil was coming from. Turns out it was my hydraulic oil from my touch control!

I found the welch plug on top of my Woods 42 mower by sheer luck. In looking around, it seems like it's a Welch plug of about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. At least that's what TM Tractor's website shows it to be.

So, am I right? Also, just how is it installed? I"m assuming the domed side goes up, but how much do you tap it to get it to seal?

Another question: it will not be long before I have to get a new 12V battery for my Cub. Who do you suggest to get a new battery from? I'm leaning towards NAPA, but I'm open to suggestions.

As always, thanks for the help in advance.

Oh, yeah. I'm loving having that Cub at the old home place. It looks right at home sitting on top of the pond dam with the reflection on the water.

SS
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: Touch control Welch plug & new battery

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:15 am

NAPA, 26R.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:18 am

Thanks Don. I was thinking the 26 R was about right.

Is this a gold series that you know of?
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Tinkertoy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01560
Tractors Owned: 1966 IH Cub Standard
1988 John Deere 180
1949 F Cub
Built 1953 & 1949 Cubs to complete restoration for Les Paquette

Postby Tinkertoy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:12 am

The Welch Plug has met it's day...you MUST replace it with a new one....they are designed to fit zero tolerance with a little Permatex....get a socket that fits the inside of the plug (used as a driver)....use the largest socket that will fit...put the socket on an extension and tap it in place...BE CAREFUL not to tap in too far...if that happens, knock it in to the housing and pull it out with a pair of channel locks and try again till you get it right... :big afro:
"Travel Light in Life~ Take only what you need...
A Loving Family...a few good Friends....Someone to Love...
Someone to Love You....Enough to Eat...Enough to Drink...
For Thirst can be a Dangerous Thing."

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SundaySailor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:57 am

Thank you Tinkertoy. That's what I thought I should do, but was still a bit fuzzy in my mind. Didn't think about the Permatex. I'll have to get some of that too.

Cheers!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:14 am

Tinkertoy wrote:. . . get a socket that fits the inside of the plug

The other kind of plug. This installs against a shoulder and is set with a hammer blow to the center. My aim with a hammer isn't that good so I set a blunt object (like another small hammer) against the center and hit it. If I used any sealer, it would be very sparing. Don't want any getting inside the hydraulics.
http://www.hubbardspring.com/install_reco.php?cid=45

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SundaySailor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:20 am

Jim Becker wrote:
Tinkertoy wrote:. . . get a socket that fits the inside of the plug

The other kind of plug. This installs against a shoulder and is set with a hammer blow to the center. My aim with a hammer isn't that good so I set a blunt object (like another small hammer) against the center and hit it. If I used any sealer, it would be very sparing. Don't want any getting inside the hydraulics.
http://www.hubbardspring.com/install_reco.php?cid=45

Whoa! Thanks Jim for chiming in. Yes, hydraulics need to be clean, clean, clean. And, this kind of plug should be set from pinging the center of the plug.

Tinkertoy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1988 John Deere 180
1949 F Cub

Postby Tinkertoy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:59 pm

PERMATEX...SPARINGLY..WILL NOT DAMAGE ANYTHING....TRUST ME...And using a socket as a driver will not ping the center...this is not rocket science boys...just say'in Tinkertoy Remember, we are working on basic tractors, not precision race cars....seek excellence, not perfection

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:47 pm

You are talking about the wrong type plug and the wrong installation method. If someone unknowingly attempted your method on this plug, it would never tighten up. The Permatex might glue it in for a while. Follow the link in my earlier post to see what the difference is.

Tinkertoy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1988 John Deere 180
1949 F Cub

Postby Tinkertoy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:58 pm

I'm sorry if you feel I am wrong Jim....if you must ....I looked at your link...I used to install Welsh plugs in Oldsmobiles...did them with much success...that's all I know....please, don't try to correct me, correct Sunday Sailor if you feel the need.
4/18/3013 10:38 pm....Sorry if I was misleading, I installed 'cupped plugs' in Oldsmobiles...not Welsh plugs...I guess I am confused about what kind of plug really is in Sunday Sailor's touch control...I look on my hydraulic system and I see a cupped plug , not a welsh plug....did they use different applications for different year and models??
Last edited by Tinkertoy on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:47 pm

I am not trying to argue with you. The Hubbard Spring Company is the original manufacturer of Welch plugs. I imagine they know more about them than either of us. Your do-it-yourself approach nearly matches their method for a cupped plug but is totally incorrect for a Welch plug.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:44 pm

Gentlemen,

You were both right for the respective type of expansion plug. So, there. ;)

Anyway, I stopped by a NAPA store on the way home yesterday. Picked up two concave expansion/Welch plugs - one in case I messed up. I spent less than $5.00 for the two plus something else for my JD garden tractor. It helped that I had printed out the part from TM's website. Thanks Tom!

After I arrived home from work this evening, I managed to get changed quick, avoid the storms and get to work. In about an hour and a half I was finished and had the tractor back up and running.

No gas leaks, no hydraulic leaks, everything clean as it could be. Oh yeah, the Cub fired right up with that Pertronix electronic ignition too. I just love my Cub!

Thank all of you for your suggestions. They were very helpful. Now, I can get started mowing around the pond with the Cub and trimming with my JD garden tractor.

Speaking of the JD garden tractor.....I invented/hacked/engineered something to help trim closer to the pond's edge.

Doing the testing this weekend. Results and video to follow.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:07 pm

Rick:

Okay buddy, now you got me curious. The "invented/hacked/engineered something" on the JD I get ... so I am really curious to see what you came up with. I still have trimming issues with my pond .. even the JD is not a happy camper cleaning the edges up :roll: :(
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

MilGunsmith
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07826
Tractors Owned: 1948 Ford 8N
1955 Lo Boy

Postby MilGunsmith » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:50 am

My 55 LoBoy has a missing plug also, there is a wood plug in there now. Is it possible to replace plug without taking off hood and gas tank?

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SundaySailor » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:52 pm

MilGunsmith wrote:My 55 LoBoy has a missing plug also, there is a wood plug in there now. Is it possible to replace plug without taking off hood and gas tank?

Nope, not that I was able to see. You can get away without removing the choke and starter rods. Found that out during my tear down. BTW NAPA part number is: 3811013 Steel Disc Freeze plug 1 1/2". Cost me 92 cents (USD) for one. I bought two just in case I messed up.

Rudi,

I'll get with you shortly on your question. I didn't get a chance to do any testing this weekend as it poured cats and dogs (raining) out at the old home place. Now way, no how was I going to try and mow that wet pond dam in that condition.

Return to “Farmall Cub”