This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Generator hookups

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
007Hank
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20724

Generator hookups

Postby 007Hank » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:49 am

I had the generator rebuilt on my Cub (serial # 101319) and unfortunately I did not make a diagram of the wiring prior to disconnecting all the wires. I cannot find a diagram to reconnect the wires (six volt-positive ground). I reattached the wires where I thought they should go, but when I started the tractor it was discharging as did some of my old six volt vehicles of long ago. The generator has the external regulator attached with the connectors marked "Bat" and "Arm". The Generator is an Autolite with two poles; one marked "F" and I cannot see a mark on the other. Currently a grey wire comes from one side of the amp meter and is hooked to the "Bat" pole of the regulator. A green wire goes from the ignition switch to the "F" pole on the generator. A short wire goes from the "Arm" pole on the regulator to the other pole on the generator. The manual talks about a "Field" terminal on the regulator; however, mine is not marked that way. Thanks for any help.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Generator hookups

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:16 am

It sounds like you have a mix and match system. cubs normally use a Delco generator rather than an Autolite. Remove the cover from your "regulator and see how many coils are in it. One would be a cutout, two or three would be a regulator. Are you sure the FLD wire form the gen is going to the ignition switch and not the light switch? The generators used on Farmall/IH used a ground applied to the FLD to control charging. The ground was controlled either by the 4 position light switch on tractors equipped with a cutout, or by the regulator if it had a regulator. Some brands applied voltage to the field to control charging, which would be proper with the FLD wire going to the ignition switch. However, if you connect the FLD of the generator to a hot lead from the ignition switch on one that is intended to have a ground there you can burn out the field winding of the generator. More info is needed.

wiring diagram for regulator equipped tractors. these diagrams are for H and M tractors, but the wiring is the same for a cub.

For cutout equipped

diagrams compliments of FarmallBob
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

007Hank
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 007Hank » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:44 am

Thank you for your response. I will recheck my wiring. By just looking at your diagrams I believe I have the "cutout relay" system. Hank

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:47 am

If your Cub is equipped with a Magneto then this schematic would apply. The ones John posted are for Battery Ignition or Distributor equipped Cubs.

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

007Hank
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 007Hank » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:49 pm

Thank you Rudi; however, the schematic John sent with the 6-volt battery should be what I need. Thank you for giving me the additional information.
Hank

007Hank
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 007Hank » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:31 pm

John,
Thank you so much for the schematics. I have rewired to ammeter and the cutout relay and polarized the generator. I fired up the tractor, put a meter on the system and everything is working fine.
Again, thanks, Hank

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Glad to hear it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Hank:

Glad you got it all working. Thanks for posting the end result, that is always satisfying for the owner and for the rest of us as well. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”