This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another one finds the barnyard

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Another one finds the barnyard

Postby Barnyard » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Surfing through Craigslist and found an ad for a Cub that said “Not sure what year exactly. Has a 60" woods deck that mows well. Has not run in about a year. Got a new Zero turn and have no use for it. Stale Gas in the tank, needs points cleaned and carb cleaned is my guess.”

Naturally I gotta check it out. It was about 15 minutes away so I was there in no time. The guy said they had used it for seven or eight years and decided to get a new mower so the Cub has sat since last fall. After checking it out I made a “Non running Cub” offer which the seller refused. He said the engine wasn’t locked and felt it was worth more. He said it didn’t need more than a battery a tune up and possibly a starter. I usually carry a crank in the Cuburban but I had the new truck with me so none was available. We dickered back and forth and finally reached a deal.

This thing was in a garage about 300 feet behind his house and the yard had about an inch of water standing in it. He said he would have his sons friends come over and it would be moved to the front of the house before I got back with the trailer.

While I was home getting the trailer I grabbed my tie downs and spotted a hand crank nearby so I thought I’d take it along. When I got back the friends had just pulled in so I told the guy I wanted to make sure the engine turned over before the guys pushed it out of the garage. He said that was no problem and I wouldn’t be obligated to buy it if there was a problem, so we headed to the back. Before we could get there the boys came bustin’ out of the garage pushing the Cub as fast as they could through the high water. When I finally caught up with them I put the crank in and gave it a shot. What do you know, tighter than a drum! That engine wasn’t about to turn over.

The seller and his son looked at each other and the seller finally said he couldn’t believe it. I told him to give it a shot so he did and agreed it needed more work than he originally said. He asked what I thought it could be and I rattled off a list of possibilities from easy to complete rebuild. Then he asked if I still wanted it and I said I did but not at the price we had agreed on. He said he totally understood that. He asked what I would give for it the way it was and I threw a price at him that was well below the offer he first turned down. Without hesitation be agreed.

I have no idea what it needs at this time, but I will soon find out. It is pretty straight all the way around with minor damage on the hood at the left head light but otherwise looks pretty good. The tank is clean and the gas smells okay, it didn't smell stale to me. Just another project.

By the way, here’s a tip for you new guys, Take a hand crank with you whenever you check out a new Cub. It’ll save you some headaches later. I have now added one to the truck so I’m not caught without it again.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Another one finds the barnyard

Postby Rudi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Bill:

Congrats :applause: on adding another one to the herd. Hopefully a little oil in the spark plug holes seeping through will be enough to free the mill up. Here's hoping it will only be a small repair. And yeah, having a hand crank in the truck/car/van is always a good idea. :idea:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:21 pm

Funny you should mention crank....I tried my 57 low-boy crank in my 53 today and it wouldn't fit....Even went so far as to "super-clean" the crank "hole"...Still didn't fit only a very tight 6/8 inches...I would have thought they were all the same....Anyhow good luck with the tractor...We used to use transmission fluid to free up old machines...Course we took the plugs out and pretty well saturated it, then pulled them if they were stubborn...Just a thought...Your way more familar with cubs than I....Have fun....Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Thackery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Thackery » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:24 pm

I see you wont have to add a step to this one, looks like a PO took care of that. What year is it Bill? I like the grill and the badges.

If it won't fit into BOB I can store it for you up here.

Thackery
1953 Cub, Sickle Mower, 42" Mower, Cultivators, 189 Double Plow, 54 Blade, Grader Blade
1968 Lo-Boy w/1000 Loader, 1957 Lo-Boy w/FH, FH Disc, FH Potato Plow.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:00 pm

Success,somewhat! Since the seller had said he thought it needed a new starter and battery I decided to start there. The battery looked awful new so I put a charger on it. I pulled the starter and bench tested it. It seemed pretty good. Before putting the starter on I stuck my big pry bar on the flywheel and gave it a nudge. It didn't take much pressure for the wheel to turn. I watched the front pulley turn as I spun the flywheel. I stuck the hand crank in and the engine turned. I put in a fresh battery while the other charged and put the starter back in. The engine is now cranking over under battery power. :{_}:

Now to start looking for fuel, compression , fire etc, etc. Hopefully I will have it running by tomorrow.

Thackery wrote:What year is it Bill? I like the grill and the badges.

Doug, it's a 1962. It should fit in BOB just fine! :D

I also found this in the tool box. You don't come across these very often with a mower.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:57 pm

Great job Bill getting it to turn over !!
It will be purring around the barnyard in no time.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:37 pm

I guess the spindle wrench is a real nice prize addition to what may turn out to be a silk purse instead of a sow's ear huh :?: :?: It is still a nice looking Cub .. very honest looking.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:24 am

Bill, What is a cub and mower worth as scrap these days? I think I saw the ad. The man bought a zero turn, right? The man wasn't asking a whole lot for it when he thought it would turn over and you wouldn't give him that. Then even less, and rightfuly so, when found it was froze. I believe you did OK. Vern
:wave:

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:31 am

v w wrote:Bill, What is a cub and mower worth as scrap these days? I think I saw the ad. The man bought a zero turn, right? The man wasn't asking a whole lot for it when he thought it would turn over and you wouldn't give him that. Then even less, and rightfuly so, when found it was froze. I believe you did OK. Vern

An unequipped Cub will bring about $150.00 at the scrap yard. They are naturally worth more than that as parts vehicles. The seller was wanting just about as much for it as a running Cub but he did say in the ad that the price was negotiable since it didn't run.

Circle of Safety

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:03 am

Nice find Bill.

When you get it running let us know.
"I ain't believing this!"

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:44 pm

I spent a little time with the Cub this afternoon. It wasn't getting any spark so I cleaned the points. That did the trick but the battery died so I swapped it out with a fresh one. Then there was no spark. I checked the wires, changed the coil and even sanded the points again. Then I realized that when I swapped the batteries I had turned the switch off. So dummy here pulled the switch out and tried again. Still no spark. That's when I looked down at the mower deck and saw the rotor laying that I took out when I sanded the points. Put the rotor back in and pulled the starter again, still no spark, Oops, forgot to turn it on again after putting the rotor in.

Then I got this;

It sounds like an exhaust leak and it is blowing some smoke. I will now swap in new plugs, add some Seafoam and see what the mower will do. Later tonight or tomorrow I will change fluids.

Circle of Safety

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Runs pretty good for a "locked up motor special"!
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Well now, I am impressed :D Runs pretty darn nice for a stuck up Cub. A little more TLC and it will probably be a nice runner. You really done good on this deal Bill :!:

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:58 pm

Bill,
I'll bet you're delighted with that find. I have a feeling that cub will be doing some mowing this Summer. :{_}:
Bernard,
Donegal Cub :mrgreen:

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Nice find, I also forgot the crank when I looked at the last one I purchased, then I remembered. Put transmission in neutral engage pto and turn it by hand and you can determine whether engine is stuck.
Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Return to “Farmall Cub”