This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Removing 154 steering column

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MikeLehman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22845

Removing 154 steering column

Postby MikeLehman » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:04 pm

I have spent the last hour or so trying to pull the steering column out of my cub 154 and had to give up before I did something drastic. I removed the bolts holding the column to the bracket but then thought I needed to remove the bolt securing the bracket to the frame as well to give me more room. After that I was able to move the column and bracket around but no matter which way I turned or rotated the parts I could not clear the frame. Is there something else that needs removed to allow the column to drop out the bottom? :lost:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Removing 154 steering column

Postby Rudi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:05 pm

Does this help?

I don't have much on the Numbered Series Cubs but I do have some -- Operator's Manual - International Cub-154 Lo-Boy and the TC-131 Parts Catalog Revision 8
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

MikeLehman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MikeLehman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:39 am

Thanks for the diagram the issue is I have taken everything loose in the photo except number 10 the shaft it is on is splined and I think I will have to use a gear puller to get it off. I am guessing I will need to have it out from under the tractor to get the room I need to remove it from the shaft. I can move the steering box several inches but just can't seem to clear the bottom frame rails. The bracket listed as number 4 is loose from the frame but since 10 is on the outside of the bracket it is one unit but everything is loose so I can move the bracket around and was hoping to slide/twist everything out from the bottom. If the frame was notched on the carb side just enough to remove the bottom flange on the frame the steering box and bracket would come right out the bottom. I do not want to notch the frame but if this is one of those deals where I have to remove the driveshaft and a bunch of other stuff I would notch the frame as a shortcut because I don't think removing a 1.5" of metal on the bottom of the frame rail will cause any issues with frame strength. Anyone else removed the steering box/column from the bottom?

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:48 am

I want to start off by saying that I've never removed the steering column from a lo-boy. However, something to keep in mind, the pitman arm (#10) can be rotated in almost any direction by turning the steering wheel. I know that it has to be in a certain direction to get the column out of a Cub Cadet, so it may be the same with a Lo Boy. Also, I'm guessing that the one thing limiting you movement left/right is probably the drive shaft from the engine to the transmission. You could unpin the drive shaft with the bolts in the rear under the tunnel cover, and that may let it move enough to get the steering column out. Again, just guessing but I would definitely try this before cutting the frame. Taking anything out of the frame will cause a weak spot, and the frame on the 154 is already one of the weakest parts of the tractor.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

MikeLehman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MikeLehman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:48 am

This is turning into a nightmare! If anyone has any other suggestions I am open to them as I am too far along now to turn back and the column is shot.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:33 am

Dude, get a grip. This is not a big deal, just part of working on a 40-year old machine. It makes sense that the driveline might be in the way because the steering system would have already been in place before they dropped the engine and transmission into the frame. There's just two bolts that you need to take loose to undo the drive shaft. If that's what's in the way, it should be nothing to take apart.

Also, what exactly is wrong with the steering column? It's pretty odd for the steering column to be "shot". Matter of fact, I've owned a ton of number series lo-boy tractors and never had one with steering problems, other than tie rod ends that were worn out. The gear boxes and steering columns nearly never fail, and I've never seend one locked up tight where you cannot steer. If the steering is sloppy, then it's just the tie rod ends worn out.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

MikeLehman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MikeLehman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:59 pm

The tie rods are probably bad as well, the previous owner just parked it out in the elements and did zero repairs or maintenance. The steering box has a lot of play in it and at some point someone actually peened an incorrect steering wheel onto the shaft. I purchased another column from a guy for a $100 so versus trying to salvage the old one I figured I would be further ahead just replacing the entire unit. I will try and undo the drive shaft tonight and see if that gives me enough room to get the bracket and steering box out.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:02 pm

Do you have the upper dash housing loose so that you can pull the shaft out upwards?
I've pulled mine for a rebuild, but I tore everything down to the frame, so you are facing a different scenario than I did.

MikeLehman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MikeLehman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:45 pm

I have the dash off but I think the suggestion for loosening the drive shaft maybe the ticket. I will try this Saturday to finish pulling the column. I will update on the easiest way to pull the column from a tractor with a motor still in it once I figure it out.

MikeLehman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MikeLehman » Fri May 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Okay there is actually another bracket above the steering column so pulling the dash and/or drive shaft would not help, in my opinion. I will say I did not actually remove the drive shaft but when moving the box and column around the drive shaft never was what stopped the column from coming free or giving me the room I needed to slide the column out. In the diagram posted, number 4 bolts onto the bracket that is welded on the frame. With that being said I decided to cut the bracket(4 in the diagram) with a cutting wheel on my angle grinder where it is straight. Once that was done everything came out quite easily. I am planning on drilling and bolting the bracket back together with a plate as it appears the box is mainly secured to the bracket welded to the frame and the other bracket(4 in the diagram) is there for extreme conditions or? There is only one bolt that secures the bracket I cut to the frame so I am not sure how much strength it actually lent to the setup as three bolts hold the steering box to the welded bracket on the frame. I have a question though about those that have remounted the steering box. How do you determine what position to place the steering travel in when mounting the pitman arm back on the splined shaft? Is it half way point between both stops?

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Fri May 17, 2013 7:39 pm

I think bracket number 4 is a weak spot in the steering. Mine broke twice, and not at my weld.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

MikeLehman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MikeLehman » Sun May 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Twotone you are 100% correct about the bracket, thanks for giving me the info it made me check everything over carefully. I installed a new steering wheel, reattached the pitman arm, and everything looked great but I noticed as I turned the wheel the bracket flexed quite a bit and was not something to be messed with. I am going to have to have the bracket plated and welded before I drive the tractor.

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 F Cub
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Sun May 19, 2013 7:04 pm

I beefed mine up when I restored it. It sure is easier to weld when it's removed from the tractor!

Tom

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun May 19, 2013 8:10 pm

I've got mine still tore apart, and looking at it better today, the gearbox wouldn't have come out the top anyway.
Sorry for the bad lead. :oops:

I should have mine all together in the next two weeks or so, and I plan on taking a bunch of photos of the progress and maybe a few how-to's.

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 F Cub
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Mon May 20, 2013 2:28 am

Raymond,
I can't wait to see yours done. We both were moving along at a pretty good clip on our restorations and yours fell off the radar. You were doing a super good job and a highly detailed resto and it will look great I'm sure.

Tom

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”