This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cub carburator kits

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cottonpicker
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35670
Tractors Owned: [3/] 6 CUBs
[2 B farmalls sold]
other old farm stuff [junk to some people]

cub carburator kits

Postby cottonpicker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:32 pm

I have some questions about cub carburators:

[1] Where is the best place to buy rebuild kits. I will probably need 6 or 7 this summer, so I am looking for the best for the price.

[2] If a new carburator is required, what is the best price [ as far as I know all the carburators are IH]

[3] In searching the forum, I found some excellent information, but LuckerCarls information seemed it should have had some pictures. The method of his layour indicated space for pictures. Am I wrong in assuming that pictures should of appeared?

[4] Somewhere in the forum I thought I had seen a mention of a die to cut the gasket. I had thought of making a die, but at this time I do not have access to a milling machine.

Thanks for any response:
cottonpicker [ at home at last in Alabama] with all my Cubs.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: cub carburator kits

Postby tmays » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:45 pm

I recommend Steiner for the carb kits.
I would buy a used carb from a forum member instead of a new one. They are pricey
I believe I got my carb gasket template from Bob McCarty here on the forum. You can check with him to see if he has any available
Thomas

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:06 pm

mcdonaldcarb.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:08 pm

cottonpicker wrote:[1] Where is the best place to buy rebuild kits. I will probably need 6 or 7 this summer, so I am looking for the best for the price.

Steiner's IHS825 Farmall Cub Complete Carburetor Repair Kit

are about the most economical as well as good. It has it all for a very fair price. I have a few of them as I have a lot of carbs and I do a fair amount of carbs for locals. Doing one now. Do you need the same kit for 6 or 7 carbs? Probably not. But getting one or two might not be a bad idea -- a couple of us stock parts as we do rebuilds.

IH Kits as long as they are genuine IH Kits are great. Some dealers though substitute other off brand kits instead. One dealer about an hour away from me uses Specter -- but I don't find them all that great at all. Individual carb parts in the kits - TM Tractor - Fuel.

cottonpicker wrote:[2] If a new carburator is required, what is the best price [ as far as I know all the carburators are IH]

I have only seen one carb that really needed replacement - that was the vinegar special :wink: Most of the IH 3/4" Updraft Carbs (Donaldson) are rebuildable. Even if they are warped, they can be straightened and fixed. If the carb inlet is stripped - helicoil, if the manifold stud threads are stripped - helicoils ... and of course a good soaking in Berryman's, wire wheel or soda blasting whichever you prefer and the carb can be brought back. It sounds like you have the skillsets .. should be easy. If you are deadset on a new one -- again, Steiner sells them but it will set you back next to 3 Benjamin's to get one.

cottonpicker wrote:[3] In searching the forum, I found some excellent information, but LuckerCarls information seemed it should have had some pictures. The method of his layour indicated space for pictures. Am I wrong in assuming that pictures should of appeared?

The pictures are there, but you need Power Point or a Power Point Viewer to access the pics. Sorry about that, best I could do at the time. Also, that is the format that Carl did it in. If I had known how much of a PITA this would be for folks, I would have redid it in html. I think I am going to have to at some point. Microsoft Power Point Viewer 2007 or the IE View - Firefox Extension

cottonpicker wrote:[4] Somewhere in the forum I thought I had seen a mention of a die to cut the gasket. I had thought of making a die, but at this time I do not have access to a milling machine.

Contact Bob McCarty and see ifn you can get a carb template from him. It would be more economical to make your own main carb body gaskets.

pic: courtesy of Dale Finch - Using Bob McCarty's Carb Gasket Template
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:37 pm

Tell you what. Bring a couple of the carburetors over to Ron's MidMo Cubfest. 18 May.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77721

If announced on Ron's post, above, we can probably provide all of the tools and solvent to repair some or most of the carburetors. I have the solvent to soak carburetors, and some gasket material, stock of assorted gaskets. Attendees will show up with tools, equipment and material. Basically, just need to know what is wanted/needed.

I would only purchase one carburetor kit. Disassemble, clean each carburetor, then only replace needed parts. Usually, most carburetor only need a good cleaning.

Edit: If you have one good bowl to top gasket, we can probably make a duplicate. Pen, Exacto knife and hole punches.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Buy the IH bowl gasket it is high quality The Steiner kit is great but I do not like their bowl gasket
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

cottonpicker
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35670
Tractors Owned: [3/] 6 CUBs
[2 B farmalls sold]
other old farm stuff [junk to some people]

Postby cottonpicker » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:00 am

Thank everyone for their response.
You just help me decide to take the direction I was strongly considering. I will make me some dies to punch out gaskets.
My vision has decreased to the point that it takes too long to cut out gaskets by hand. We [ mostly me ] have rebuilt 4 cub carburators since early March along with 1 50 massy, 1 8n ford, an A and B john deere. That coupled with the cleaning, starter rebuilding ect to get all those tractors to run, i'v about had all the fun I can stand for a while. Brother ask what we are to do with the other 12 or so.
I stated we should take a ride to the community we were raised in, so we have to go back tomorrow to get the serial number 3456 red cub and the yellow and white lowboy. So much for taking a break.

Eugene thanks for suggesting I go to California Mo. to Ron's fest, but at present I am 2 miles south of the Tennessee River, and close enough I hear test fire at the space facility in Huntsville Al . I miss being in Missouri after 32 years for a 6 month job, but I did not know how good it is to be home again!

Again thanks for the responses and I will be asking more questions.
Cottonpicker
carb before rebuild About one hour later with little brother driving
100_0093 4-10-13 1.jpg
100_0093 4-10-13 1.jpg (506.98 KiB) Viewed 201 times
100_0093 4-10-13 1.jpg
100_0093 4-10-13 1.jpg (506.98 KiB) Viewed 201 times
Attachments
100_0098 4-10-13 1.jpg
100_0098 4-10-13 1.jpg (506 KiB) Viewed 201 times

Return to “Farmall Cub”