This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Three wheeled cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027
Circle of Safety: Y

Three wheeled cub

Postby Chris D » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:28 am

Went out to do some bush hogging this morning. Things were going well for awhile. Then while looking back at the mower and ducking around some branches, before I knew it the cub was down to 3 legs...... Got it stopped after I ran over the tire with the mower, things happen fast. This is what she looked like...

I had used a couple lug nuts from napa after painting the tractor on that side, and maybe due to paint build up or just over looking to tighten that side up, the lug nuts must have worked loose. Well at some point a few fell out and the remainding one broke the hub as the wheel came off. It happened after crossing a small ditch for water drainage, I'm sure the bump from that didn't help.

Guys and gals, check your lug nuts from time to time, especially if you have had the tractor apart for repairs or paint. This could have been worse if it had been on a hill side somewhere. Good news is, it's just a hub. Remarkably the tire and wheel escaped with just a small mark on one side from the mower running across it :D

Safety, safety, safety. There is never a bad time to just check equipment over before going to work.

Have a good day folks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Three wheeled cub

Postby Barnyard » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:32 am

Yes, it could have been worse, but you were lucky. Thanks for the heads up! It may someone else from similar problems.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:45 am

Great reminder for all of us!
Check the right side engine ear real close. It's situations like this that lead to them getting broken.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:58 am

I just had a gentleman that lives nearby come by last weekend needing a few lug bolts. He just fixed up his Cub and had bought a Woods mower from me to use with it. Well....he was out mowing last weekend when he lost a front wheel the same exact way. He lost 3 lug bolts and luckily didn't break the hub. It sure does pay to check things over but you can't always catch it all.

He had also mentioned his gas was sloshing out of the tank, so I quizzed him on what kind of gas cap he had. He had mentioned that it was the original style in 1949 and did seal well. I gave him one of the newer safety style caps and told him that he could have that one and tell me if he liked it better. He called the next day and was thrilled with it because he said the tank was full and as he was mowing on the side of a hill, he didn't see one drop come out. I reckon I should get some more of those caps before the supply runs out.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Return to “Farmall Cub”