This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydralic block is a booger

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.
Circle of Safety: Y

Hydralic block is a booger

Postby Papa's Cub » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:57 pm

OK. I had planned to put a kit in the block assembly today and have it back on the tractor before dark. I had read on the "How -To" thread that this was about a 10 hr job. It sounded like a lot of time for such a simple task or so I thought. I had no idea the pins in the linkage up front would be frozen. I thought I'd just leave them connected and remove everything together. WRONG! So far this job is not as much fun as I had hoped. I stopped for a little while to take a sandwhich break and try to regain some sanity. It's got to come apart, so, I'm gonna look for a bigger hammer...right? There's nothing like having fun on a saturday just beating around the barn, but, a day like today makes me wish those grandkids had come for a visit. ( I don't have a clue how much money I'm saving on this DIY project, but it's got to be a lot. haha.)
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,

Re: Hydralic block is a booger

Postby Papa's Cub » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:34 pm

OK. I've got the linkage problem solved and the piston and connecting rod assy and the control valve removed from the front. Now I'm stumped, the Check Valve assy, Safety Valve assy and the Pressure Regulator Valve do not want to be removed it seems. Can anybody offer some advice on how to get them out? I have viewed the pliers and allen tool in the how to section but haven't figured it out yet. Any help and/or advice will be appreciated. :help: :lost:
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:45 pm

Surprised their haven't been any posts....I haven't done that job myself (yet)....I've got to do that on my 57 as soon as I get the mower deck on the 53....I've only glanced at the How to post but it seems to me that the block under the (they were vice grips correct....its been a while since I looked) was used as a pry block(think teeter totter) and the modified allen wrench was hooked so as to pull straight up....Hopefully someone who has done this will respond in the short run but at least that gives you something to think about while you wait....I'm sure you get some replies, its a great day probably every one is getting some seat time...I just came in after mowing for 5 hours myself...Hang in there....Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Papa's Cub » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:15 pm

Thanks Dave. The vice grips and allen tool worked just like it was supposed to. It poped out a couple of times and then came right out. Now the other two. One seems to be spring loaded and I don't have a clue as to how to get it out. The first three pieces of the safety valve came out easily...now the other pieces. It's happening...just slower than I wanted it to. After all...I'm having fun!

Tractorboy3
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20707
Tractors Owned: ........
1950 H
1952 Super C
1954 Cub
1957 Cub
1958 Cub
1995 Cub Cadet 1440

Postby Tractorboy3 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi..I have done 3 of them...and getting those valves out can be a B*tch..There are allen screws in the side of the block to relieve suction pressure from behind the valve..I have not always been able to them out..making pulling the valve that much harder..I modified a big screwdriver..using my grinder, ground a notch in the side near the end of the blade to make a kind of hook..Then using an assistant holding the block ...PULLLLL...they will come out...just be sure to find all the pieces
Good Luck...Tom
'50 H, '52 Super C, '54 Cub, '57 Cub, '58 Cub, '95 Cub Cadet 1440

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Papa's Cub » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:04 pm

OK. All of the valve assy's are out and on the bench. Glad that part is over! Now it's clean up time. Tomorrow is Sunday and around my house we go to Church and rest up for the comming week. I hope to have everything assembled and ready to put back on the tractor by monday afternoon. I'm ready for this job to be finished. Now I know for those with experience it should take about ten hours to do this job ,but, for me it looks like it's gonna take about twenty hours if I continue be be lucky.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:35 pm

The longest part is cleaning, reassembly shouldn't take that long. Have a good clean, clutter free space to work before you tear the replacement parts bag open.
Last edited by RaymondDurban on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:41 am

Glad to see its coming along....Imagine if we had to pay for the things were getting free advice on doing ....And having fun doing it as a bonus...When I get ready to do mine, you can give me some pro advice.. :applause: Dave :big afro:
In Memory of 58,286

Return to “Farmall Cub”