This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Second Time's a Charm...

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Second Time's a Charm...

Postby Stanton » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:19 am

Missouri Turkey Season.

Opening day, spooked 3 birds off the roost--ugh! Didn't have a successful day (if bringing home a bird is your definition of success). Went again yesterday, got in earlier to set up w/out spooking anything. Set up only to find the only two birds gobbling were south of me on another property (no permission) and way east of me (difficult to get to). But, within an hour, the eastern bird had moved or another bird had moved between me and the eastern bird. Long story short: called in a 2 year old tom; 21.5 lbs, 9-1/2" beard and 1" spurs. Took two shots to down him, so second time's a charm in more than one way. :D

:lol: Camera on tailgate of truck isn't always the best way to frame a picture!! :lol:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Re: Second Time's a Charm...

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:24 am

Congrats !!
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:54 pm

Congrats!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Got mine this morning at 0635. Ten inch beard, 1 1/4 inch spurs. No means to weigh it, but my guess is 20 to 22 pounds. Standing beside the decoy when his lights went out.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Wed May 01, 2013 5:41 am

Great job Stanton. To me it is the hunt, especially when I get to spend time with grandson's. Turkeys are not cooperating with us this year, plus the weather on weekends when the grandson's are off. Picture from the tailgate looks great.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Wed May 01, 2013 6:22 am

randallc wrote:Great job Stanton. To me it is the hunt, especially when I get to spend time with grandson's.

I agree, but wanted to qualify "success." Just being out in the Spring turkey woods is a pleasure; calling in and bagging a tom is icing on the cake! Some of my most memorable times spent turkey hunting was with a gentleman I rarely bagged a turkey with, but it was time well spent.

Thanks and hope the weather starts cooperating for you before season closes.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Wed May 01, 2013 9:38 am

Nice Stanton! Congrats on a nice bird!

Our season opened up on Monday and I had my first bird of the season on the ground at 6:15 AM. Roosted him the night before..30 minute walk the next AM...I called him away from 2 or 3 hens and shot him at 25 yards. Two year old..18.5 lbs. 8 inch beard, 1 inch spurs.

Had one gobbling this Am but he had 5 hens with him...no way I was convincing him to come to me.

Blair

I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Wed May 01, 2013 10:15 am

Bigschuss wrote:Nice Stanton! Congrats on a nice bird!

Our season opened up on Monday and I had my first bird of the season on the ground at 6:15 AM. Roosted him the night before..30 minute walk the next AM...I called him away from 2 or 3 hens and shot him at 25 yards. Two year old..18.5 lbs. 8 inch beard, 1 inch spurs.

Had one gobbling this Am but he had 5 hens with him...no way I was convincing him to come to me.

Blair

AWESOME! Next time a tom is "henned up", try sounding like several hens; use several differnt calls at once. If you can get the dominant hen to answer you (i.e. challenge her authority), you might be able to pull the whole flock into gun range. But be ready, the tom is always the last to come, so you'll likely have several hens all around you before he's in range. Did that several years ago and had hens behind me, beside me and in front of me (about a dozen), before one of the two toms was within range. Talk about exciting AND fun!!

Again, way to go! Great story!!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Wed May 01, 2013 11:26 am

Stanton wrote:
Bigschuss wrote:Nice Stanton! Congrats on a nice bird!

Blair

AWESOME! Next time a tom is "henned up", try sounding like several hens; use several differnt calls at once. If you can get the dominant hen to answer you (i.e. challenge her authority), you might be able to pull the whole flock into gun range. But be ready, the tom is always the last to come, so you'll likely have several hens all around you before he's in range. Did that several years ago and had hens behind me, beside me and in front of me (about a dozen), before one of the two toms was within range. Talk about exciting AND fun!!

Again, way to go! Great story!!

Boy did you just about summarize my morning! This is exactly what I did this AM. I pulled out my slate and used it along with my mouth call. The dominant hen was going nuts...she really did not like my calling. I realized I could get her to come in close if I kept it up. The problem was I had a bad set up...too much open cover and I did not have a good tree to sit against. I knew even if I could pull the flock in out of the field they were in I would stand a good chance of getting busted. I was on my private land and I know they aren't going far, so I just kind of backed out and let them be. I'll try to set up a bit different tomorrow.

Good luck to you if you get back out there!
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed May 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Nice hunting guys. I am envious. I wish we still had wild turkey up here. I have been tossing around the idea of raising/releasing wild turkey and seeing if we can get the population restarted. It worked nicely with the pheasants -- now those are pretty much native. Be nice to have native birds come back. Enjoy the turkeys guys ... I imagine they are going to make some nice eating :{_}:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Off Topic”