This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fertilize When Planting Questions

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Fertilize When Planting Questions

Postby Brandon Webb » Wed May 01, 2013 7:35 am

I have an original galvanized IH hopper with the numbered flow adjuster lever. When planting what strength fertilize should I use and what setting should I set the hopper on? I just didn't want to put to much on and figured I'd ask you guys. Maybe 10-10-10?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fertilize When Planting Questions

Postby Super A » Wed May 01, 2013 8:11 am

10-10-10 is the standard garden fertilizer. How much depends on what you are growing, your soil fertilitiy, etc. Once you decide on a rate what you need to do is calibrate the fertilizer attachment. Your cooperative extension service should have materials online to tell you how. Depending on the feed wheel it will really dump some fertilizer! When I had a fertilizer attachment for my Cub I let one of my classes do a calibration lab with it and with the star-shaped feed wheel it would put out way over 400 lbs/acre and the hopper was not "wide open."

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Wed May 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Sounds complicated. I was reading in the manuals and it was super complicated about rods and rows. I'm just wanting it low enough to not burn up the plants, I'll study the manuals a little closer I guess, the manuals show the gear ratio's but it's figuring pounds per acre which I'm not really wondering as I'll probably only use 50 lbs for the whole garden.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed May 01, 2013 1:06 pm

Brandon,

Yes, you do need to be concerned about pounds per acre, even though you are planting a garden. Pounds per acre is simply a measurement of pounds per unit area. You need to measure your garden to determine the square feet in the garden.

Consider Al's example of 400 lbs./acre. If your garden is 40 by 50, that is 2000 sq. ft. and you put on your 50 lb. bag of fertilizer you would be applying 1089 lbs./acre. Way more fertilizer than needed.

Start first with the size of your garden in square feet.
Determine the nutrient requirements of the crops you're going to plant.
Fertilize the crops according to their needs.
Yes, I'm totally ignoring a soil analysis.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Wed May 01, 2013 6:19 pm

Remember, fertilizer does not help a seed to germinate.
I prefer to work a small amount of fertilizer in to the whole field for germination, then side-dress.
YMMV
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed May 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Brandon Webb wrote:Sounds complicated. I was reading in the manuals and it was super complicated about rods and rows. I'm just wanting it low enough to not burn up the plants, I'll study the manuals a little closer I guess, the manuals show the gear ratio's but it's figuring pounds per acre which I'm not really wondering as I'll probably only use 50 lbs for the whole garden.

Most of the time gardens are fertilized per 1000 sq. ft. instead of per acre to make the numbers less unwieldly.

What are you planning on planting?

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed May 01, 2013 8:14 pm

which star wheel do you have they make 3 different ones light medium and heavy. medium and heavy have 7 teeth I think and the light has 12 or 14 I think. the heavy is thicker and the medium is thinner. it also depends on the teeth on the drive gear and the driven gear.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”