This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

View of Cub engine on rightside

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
petelg
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39191

View of Cub engine on rightside

Postby petelg » Tue May 07, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi everyone... I'm Pete...I'm new to the site.. But that's not my worst problem... :lol: I'm not a good mechanic unless it's laid out in front of me in very simple "layman terms" Here's my situation: I have a Farm All Cub that has been in the barn for several years. Not sure the year.. I thought it was around a '46 but I was told it was probably 50 something. The serial number tag on the right front was painted over and any numbers are hard to make out.. It gets worse!... :lol: Some connections were taken loose and maybe parts missing on the right side ( The pull out starter rod opposite the choke) has been taken off.. I found it eventually in the shop but have no way of knowing how it goes back... :lost: ... Is there some exploited few of the right side of the engine that would help me hook this back up? AS it's been setting up I'm sure the carburetor is gummed up also..Any help would very much be appreciated...If my e-mail would help its rebel18@rocketmail.com...And thanks again!!! :oops:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: View of Cub engine on rightside

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue May 07, 2013 2:47 pm

If you go to TM Tractor Parts [one of our forum sponsors with link at bottom of page]
and click on "Gallery and Picture Archive"
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

olebluegrassboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42378
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub, 55 Farmall 100, 35 10-20 mc cormick

Postby olebluegrassboy » Tue May 07, 2013 3:13 pm

Not a great picture, but here you are,
Attachments
starter rod.jpg
starter rod.jpg (68.19 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Dale
"It's better to regret the things you've done than the things you didn't do."
Still can't help to think "Wish I hadn't of done that!"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue May 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Top of page, click on manuals. Down load, free, an operator's manual, in the early 1950s. Really doesn't have to be the exact same year as your Cub. Inside the operator's manuals are photos of the tractor from many different views. Also a wealth of information on Cubs.

Next. Parts manual and service manual should be purchased or down loaded and utilized.

Edit: Search function at top of page. Most topics have been discussed many times, including carburetors.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Tue May 07, 2013 4:48 pm

In case you're having trouble locating the info in the manuals recommended by Eugene, try this link to a page in the manuals:
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Parts%20Manuals/TC-37C%20Parts%20Catalog%20(08-29-52)/Electrical/Page-45.jpg
Welcome to the forum and Good luck with your project.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue May 07, 2013 5:41 pm

When you look at the suggested manuals give us the engine serial # so we can narrow down the year of the tractor. Be sure to prime the oil pump before you try to start engine. Go to the search function and put prime oil pump in the box.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue May 07, 2013 7:15 pm

Pete:

G'day to you and rest assured, you are not the only one in that situation. Many of us are not mechanics -- and many still are not -- I know I could never claim to be one .. that is a trade unto itself and many different specialties. But have no fear. If a cabinetmaker can learn how to maintain a Cub or a number of them, any one can. I know, cause I learned.

What you need to do before you start messing with anything is to read an Owner's Manual -- this one - McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub Owner's Manual 5-23-47 will do to get you started. Read the manual - consult the TC-37A Parts Catalog (5-2-49) so you can see how the parts go together. Once you have done that you will be prepared to physically check out your Cub.

Take pics - post them along with your questions and we will be able to help. Pics are worth 1,000 words, literally. Also, suggest you follow the links below and spend some time reading them.. well worth the time spent.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed May 08, 2013 2:34 am

Hi,
Welcome to the website! Looks like the guys gave you good advise. Try dissolving the paint off of the serial number plate with some paint thinner so you can read the serial number. Then you can tell what year the tractor is. There's black paint on some of the plate, from the factory, unless it weathered off, so try not to dissolve that too. Glen. :)

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Wed May 08, 2013 5:19 am

Welcome to the forum. You've found the right place for help with the cub. There are many of these folks who are very knowledgeable and what's better, they are willing to share their knowledge and help out.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.

Postby PVF1799 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:26 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
Welcome to the website! Looks like the guys gave you good advise. Try dissolving the paint off of the serial number plate with some paint thinner so you can read the serial number. Then you can tell what year the tractor is. There's black paint on some of the plate, from the factory, unless it weathered off, so try not to dissolve that too. Glen. :)

If you do damage the original paint from the serial# tag, you can obtain an overlay from member tst. When it's time send him a private message. Welcome to the forum, you're definitely in the right forum for help. Please follow the advice mentioned and read the manuals.

Have fun w/your Cub.

Ken

petelg
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39191

Postby petelg » Wed May 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Thanks guys!...I appreciate all of the info..I think,even I, can put it back together now. :lol: But by the one pic Dave sent ,I see that I am missing a couple of things..That's got my 88 yearold father written all over it.. :lol: He gets it in his mind to fix something, takes it apart, goes back in the house and leaves it for months at a time.. :roll: Now I have to look for the missing parts..I love this site and thanks again...Pete

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed May 08, 2013 2:58 pm

Keep in mind that although the Cub was made for a long time with few major changes, there are parts that did change over the years. Those changes may have some bearing on reassembling specific areas. Since we don't, as of yet, know the year/serial number of your tractor, it may have some differences from the picture above.

Return to “Farmall Cub”